Thailand Passes Landmark Same-Sex Marriage Law

webfact

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Me too....

I will marry my Thai girlfriend...She the husband....And me the wife...And I will get a super easy Thai citizenship in no time....

Damn....I think you may be on to something......

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Damn....I think you may be on to something......

How so?

The immigration law implications if any of Thailand marriage equality are as far as I know completely unknown.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some people can't just congratulate a long overdue expansion of civil rights in Thailand but instead are obsessing about imaginary slights to themselves while stewing in a toxic bath of acidic resentment. Predictable but disgusting. 

If you don't mind me saying, I think you might be being a little over-sensitive here.
I know this is a subject close to your heart but I think the vast majority of people posting here are being very supportive of all this. There's the usual couple of idiots of course but it wouldn't be AN without the uneducated now would it?

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Thumbs Up 2

Right, can we just forget this pride nonsense now then and treat everyone the same, now there are no 'victims' Same sex sex is nothing to be proud about, any more then hetro so put your annoying silly flags away and stop mincing down the streets.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

If you don't mind me saying, I think you might be being a little over-sensitive here.
I know this is a subject close to your heart but I think the vast majority of people posting here are being very supportive of all this. There's the usual couple of idiots of course but it wouldn't be AN without the uneducated now would it?

You're right not everyone is ignorant and nasty but it's more than a few.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Same sex divorce?

I'll be interested to see the statistics for divorce in these minority groups in say 20 years time.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It will mean it the same I presume the foreigner will be the one who has to put the 400K in the bank, but I'm still skeptical that this new law will include foreigners.

at the present time is only male foreigners married to a Thai female, that has to meet financial requirements, so who under the new same sex marriages will need to meet the financial requirements, foreign female married to Thai female, or foreign male married to Thai male

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

at the present time is only male foreigners married to a Thai female, that has to meet financial requirements, so who under the new same sex marriages will need to meet the financial requirements, foreign female married to Thai female, or foreign male married to Thai male

Well I think we can all guess the answer to that one, it will be the foreigner IMO.

Just on a side note I had a friend who died here, in a long term relationship with a LB, He had already made all the necessary paperwork for 'Her' as he had a terminal illness to get all his assets, which 'She' did.  so a marriage is not necessary unless maybe if you want to adopt kids. This seems just about for Thais IMO. All smoke n mirrors for Thailand to Look Good. 

• Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

I'll be interested to see the statistics for divorce in these minority groups in say 20 years time.

Have a look at the Netherlands where this is allowed 23 years:

20 years of gay marriage in the Netherlands: 20 thousand couples | CBS

"Marriages between two women are of a shorter duration than marriages between two men or between a man and a woman. Of the women who married another woman in 2010, 26 percent were divorced after almost ten years (on 1 January 2020). This is almost twice as much as for married male couples (14 percent). The divorce rate among heterosexual couples is comparable to that of gay male couples: 16 percent were divorced after ten years."

CBS = Central Buro of Statistics in the Netherlands, so a reliable source.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Baht Simpson said:

I don't think it will be based on nationality, more likely on permanent residence basis. 

And what do you class a years extension ?, that is Not permanent residence.

Just now, brianthainess said:

And what do you class a years extension ?, that is Not permanent residence.

That's what I mean. An extension of stay does not confer permanent residence status which is a longer procedure. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"Marriages between two women are of a shorter duration than marriages between two men or between a man and a woman. Of the women who married another woman in 2010, 26 percent were divorced after almost ten years (on 1 January 2020). This is almost twice as much as for married male couples (14 percent).

Interesting. Counter to the general image of male homosexuals as wandering sex-obsessed rats and lesbians as fairly stable and stay-at-home.

My personal observation - off a small statistical base in Oz & NZ - is in line with the quoted stats.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:
3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Since there are 250 senators, this seems to indicate that over 100 of them didn't even bother to show up for the vote.

Or abstained.

There were 18 abstentions, so my math was wrong - 152 participated by voting or abstaining, and 98 weren't there at all.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Counter to the general image of male homosexuals as wandering sex-obsessed rats ...

Really? Seems I've been missing out.

Or maybe you mean heterosexuals and the 37,117 posts on here about them chasing bargirls. 🙂 

5 hours ago, proton said:

Right, can we just forget this pride nonsense now then and treat everyone the same, now there are no 'victims' Same sex sex is nothing to be proud about, any more then hetro so put your annoying silly flags away and stop mincing down the streets.

So making a point whilst having a big party that’s attended by many who aren’t LGBT is nonsense to you? I suppose on the plus side, the fact that this bothers you so much will be to the delight of all those who are supportive.

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So making a point whilst having a big party that’s attended by many who aren’t LGBT is nonsense to you? I suppose on the plus side, the fact that this bothers you so much will be to the delight of all those who are supportive.

Carrying on with this flag waving and look at me mincing about in bondage gear and sequins is nonsensical, I did not say this one off party was. We need to see an end of pride months, unless the rest of humanity can have a go at being proud, and somehow pretending to be victims. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Carrying on with this flag waving and look at me mincing about in bondage gear and sequins is nonsensical, I did not say this one off party was. We need to see an end of pride months, unless the rest of humanity can have a go at being proud, and somehow pretending to be victims. 

People having a good time and dressing the way they choose for a party time isn’t nonsensical…. except to people who just live to be angry about something that doesn’t negatively impact on them in any way. If it offends you that much…..fine by me.

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, proton said:

Mincing about?

Haters gonna hate.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1