Thai Monk Shocks Community with Violent Killing at Temple

image.jpeg

In a shocking event, a Thai monk named Suntree has confessed to murdering Suppapong, a man seeking food at Khao Peep Temple in Chumphon Province. The incident has sent shockwaves through the community, raising concerns about the sanctity of a place meant for peace and spiritual solace.

Suppapong’s wife, Onpreya, had raised the alarm after her husband vanished on June 14, believing he had sought refuge at the temple. Initially, the monks, Suntree and his father Had, denied seeing the missing man.

However, Suppapong’s body was discovered on June 15 in a pond within a nearby palm plantation, just 200 metres from the temple. He had been viciously stabbed multiple times in the face—unusually, the weapon was identified as a sharp steel object rather than a knife.

Police interrogated the monks on June 18. Initial accounts suggested that Had and his son would typically collect food offerings at 5:30 a.m. and return by 8:30 a.m.

However, security footage highlighted discrepancies: Had returned to the temple significantly earlier than Suntree on the day of the murder. Additionally, police noticed suspicious scratch marks on Suntree’s shoulder, which he dismissed as mosquito bites.

After intense questioning, lasting over two hours, Suntree broke down and confessed. He narrated that Suppapong frequently awaited food leftovers at the temple. On the fateful day, the monk, not having eaten himself, requested Suppapong to wait.

An argument ensued when Suppapong insisted on being served immediately, resulting in a violent confrontation in which Suntree used a stainless-steel spoon to fatally stab the man.

Despite admitting to the assault, Suntree denied any involvement in moving the body to the plantation, leaving the police with unanswered questions.

Following his confession, Suntree was ordered to disrobe and face legal actions. Reports indicate that Suntree had struggled with mental health issues since a car accident in his youth, often experiencing uncontrollable anger episodes.

Future plans suggest that after serving his sentence, Suntree might return to his home province of Udon Thani, where arrangements could be made for him to receive plots of land to lead a stable life.

The incident has severely tarnished the monk's reputation and cast a shadow over the otherwise serene environment of Khao Peep Temple.

Picture via Facebook/ หนังสือพิมพ์รายวัน.สยามประชา

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He had been viciously stabbed multiple times in the face...........confrontation in which Suntree used a stainless-steel spoon to fatally stab the man.

An unusual weapon to choose for fatally stabbing the victim.

In all my years as a Forensic Expert with the UK Police Service, I never encountered such a "devastating" weapon.

Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Dinner Spoons with Round Edge, Large  Tablespoons, 7.9 inches, Pack of 12, Silver

• Haha 1

Future plans suggest that after serving his sentence, Suntree might return to his home province of Udon Thani, where arrangements could be made for him to receive plots of land to lead a stable life.

Monk or no monk, or  indeed regardless of who murdered Suppapong, or why, future plans should be a charge of murder, a court hearing and a death sentence for murder.

I've heard of many being stabbed with kitchen knives, even a fork,  but never heard of a spoon being used so viciously .....  spoons are used for nice things like soup and porridge and custard,  never any anger in a spoon except when cracking a boiled egg.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Actually this statement is totally irrelevant and really has nothing to do with the murder and circumstances,  it seems strange to even mention his future at this point.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Actually this statement is totally irrelevant and really has nothing to do with the murder and circumstances,  it seems strange to even mention his future at this point.   

Not strange at all to mention his future.  He is a MURDERER by his own admission, and should receive the extreme punishment for his crime

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Not strange at all to mention his future.  He is a MURDERER by his own admission, and should receive the extreme punishment for his crime

yes ... I agree,     but I think you didn't understand what I was saying.   I was simply saying his time after prison is not part of what's happened here and now.   

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I've heard of many being stabbed with kitchen knives, even a fork,  but never heard of a spoon being used so viciously .....  spoons are used for nice things like soup and porridge and custard,  never any anger in a spoon except when cracking a boiled egg.  

to quote from a movie..it will hurt more...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

These guys are almost on a par with Catholic priests.

Catholic priests do not tour the local houses mooching for food, and no! I am not a Catholic.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

what time are you setting up the gallows?....can i bring the kids?....thanks for  the all caps and bold font to highlight

Im sure the thai court system wont mind you being judge jury and executioner on this matter...you seem level headed

Perhaps Onpreya, the victims wife - or maybe his children, would like to be the executioners! 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

......raising concerns about the sanctity of a place meant for peace and spiritual solace.

Its been a problem for years.  The local temples in our area are filled with drug addicts and drunks.  

• Agree 1

On 6/19/2024 at 2:56 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

That is 20yrs minus 50% for admitting guilt - time off for good behavior out in 8yrs if that. The Thai justice system is Mucking Fental.