Pattaya to become Southeast Asia’s premier destination

snoop1130

35 years ago I was a "younger man" on my first visit to Pattaya. It was due for an overhaul in those times.

I remember after the tsunami Pattaya was going to be the best place to visit in whole world.

Unfortunately, for the Thailand people, the people at the very top of the tree need to make the decisions. There are people begging, there is violence and a lot of mafia. Those things need to change.

Nothing will change. I agree with the OP, open a Pattaya 2 from scratch and make that into a family friendly, worldwide destination.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, proton said:

First went there in 1994, boring 10 days, went again for a week in 98, left after one day. Degrading outdoor brothel towns full of drunken foreigner's swaggering about and thousands of prostitutes preying on them is not for everyone. Never went to Sunday school and I think Samut Prakan is more the 'real world' than Pattaya. 

There are a lot of negative adjectives one could use relating to Pattaya on your once every 30 year visits, but 'boring' is a surprise. Now if you want boring, try Hua Hin, but even there a round of golf can be found, as it can in Pattaya. 

20 hours ago, proton said:

The good old punters excuse of poverty and have no choice. It's nonsense of course there is always a choice, but not for the too lazy and stupid. Every time I go out I see places advertising for staff, which does not involve sex with total strangers.

My girlfriend has a baby, the father of her baby pays her no money. 

She works at a supermarket in Pattaya gets paid 12,000 baht a month, sends 5000 baht a month to her mother for taking care of her baby in Ubon, a few thousand baht for milk, nappies etc., then she must pay for transport to and from work and food for herself.

She pays for clothes and medication for her and her baby. 

I often buy her items, new shoes for work etc., because she just doesn't have money to buy essentials. 

How much do you think she has left of her salary each month? 

She lives with me, she doesn't pay for accommodation, electricity or water.

These jobs outside of the sex industry you talk about, how much salary do they pay for these young mothers without university education?

Some of these Thai young mothers don't have a choice, they must work in the sex industry. 

Feel free to belittle the female sex workers in the west, understand it's different in Thailand. 

I've had this argument before with you but you just don't get it. 

IMG_20240621_060358.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 hours ago, ryandb said:

While true, you have to take some responsibility for who you allow to dip their dick and impregnate you in the first place, both mother and father are responsible

Some people in these situations need to be honest with themselves....

If the boyfriend lies to the girl,

- telling her to have a baby,

- I will give you my salary, 

- I will be with you forever etc.,

then he disappears, what's your solution? 

What's with you guys, adding the honesty thing? 🤔

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 6/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya-5-Pattaya-evolving-into-a-premier-global-tourism-destination-pic-21.jpg

Pattaya, known for its bustling nightlife, is apparently trying to shed its old skin and emerge as a beacon of transformation in Southeast Asia. Recent years have witnessed a remarkable overhaul aimed at elevating visitor experiences and community living standards.

Key infrastructure upgrades are at the heart of this makeover. Underground installations of electrical and communication cables, revamped road surfaces, and improved water drainage systems not only enhance functionality but also add to the city’s aesthetic allure and cleanliness.

Central to this transformation is the rejuvenation of Pattaya Beach, a focal point of the city’s charm. Ongoing projects have breathed new life into its shores, drawing praise from residents and tourists for its revitalised beauty.

However, amidst the progress, challenges loom large. Issues like homelessness and begging underscore the need for ongoing social and urban development efforts to ensure Pattaya remains inclusive and attractive to all.

Looking ahead, ambitious plans are in motion to introduce more green spaces and enhance transportation infrastructure. Proposals include expanding tree cover along Pattaya Beach for shade and introducing electric buses to improve urban mobility and sustainability, reported Pattaya Mail.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

PATTAYA! Has a lot of Potential for the future as the day time walk down beach road is quiet nice with all the emerging coffee shops and restaurants that were there on my last trip and seem to be popping up more and more. Pattaya is a foodie mecca which can rival such places as Patong and even Bangkok with its variety of world dishes and available almost 24/7.

The homelessness seemed to me to be a lot less in 2024 than it did back in 2022 when I was there and I am hoping this only improves in the future.  I look forward to watching and experiencing the evolution of this city as I have been going there for over a decade now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If the boyfriend lies to the girl,

- telling her to have a baby,

- I will give you my salary, 

- I will be with you forever etc.,

then he disappears, what's your solution? 

What's with you guys, adding the honesty thing? 🤔

Again you need to vet the man before you let him inside of you, people lie, same as the old dude who marries a bar girl who promises she loves him, then screws him out of his life saving, do we only blame her or do we call him a gullible fool?

And there are still plenty of other options than to sell your holes

Edited by ryandb
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, ryandb said:

you need to vet the man before you let him inside of you

And what would that vetting process be, give a few examples. 

19 minutes ago, ryandb said:

And there are still plenty of other options than to sell your holes

Tell me more, what are some of the other options.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

And what would that vetting process be, give a few examples. 

Tell me more, what are some of the other options.

Get to know them, their family, their past, their financial situation and WAIT until marriage.... yes there will be some examples of men walking away but it's usually because the woman ignored the red flags

Find it funny you ignored the comparison, I'm not saying it's entirely the woman's fault but you seem to absolve them of any blame based on your situation.

Start a business so you don't work for 15k a month at a 7/11 or for whatever they charge men.. Before you say you need money to start a business, mine was started for literally $10 we live in the internet age, there's money everywhere to be earned.

44 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Find it funny you ignored the comparison

It's only your own comparison, it happens, doesn't bother me. 

There are quite a few here who can relate to this, it's why we have so many complainers and moaners here, it's their choice, their life. 

44 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Start a business

You're not making any sense, you really don't understand.

These girls live with their baby, under the one roof, the house has no internal walls or ceiling, just a roof with external walls and an outdoor toilet, with their parents and siblings.

These people are the poorest of the poor. 

They barely have enough money for food and electricity, they haven't got money to start up a business, $10 is alot of money for them. 
Most are uneducated, they have got no business sense. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's only your own comparison, it happens, doesn't bother me. 

There are quite a few here who can relate to this, it's why we have so many complainers and moaners here, it's their choice, their life. 

You're not making any sense, you really don't understand.

These girls live with their baby, under the one roof, the house has no internal walls or ceiling, just a roof with external walls and an outdoor toilet, with their parents and siblings.

These people are the poorest of the poor. 

They barely have enough money for food and electricity, they haven't got money to start up a business, $10 is alot of money for them. 
Most are uneducated, they have got no business sense. 

My comparison shows that you would blame the dude for their stupidity or don't defend the men but you absolve the girls of their decisions and will go to bat for them. 

You're a typical lefty racist bro, thinking down on them and thinking every prostitute and single mother comes from some tiny village without internet and have received zero education, from what I understand most the female uni students do the sideline chick thing

Firstly more people seem to be self-employed here than in the West who are indoctrinated into serving the corps through that education you appeal to, ask the majority of Uni students at Oxford how to start a business, and unless you were in the Business class they'd look at you as if you were asking them to solve the theory of relativity. They just know to get a degree and a job is waiting (it's not).

Being a freelancer is a business, they are selling a service, pick a service and sell it.... same principle applies. You can earn money from your normal job and then do it on the side to start. Also I've not met one Thai person without a phone and data.....

Sorry but if they have money for the bus from the provinces to Pattaya, BKK, Patong, Samui etc. then they've got $10

Edited by ryandb

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh, you are one of those people, you can't reason or have normal conversation so you resort to name calling.

Bro I answered every question I'm just calling out racist behaviour while I did. Have a good day white knighting for the girls and absolving them from responsibility while assuming they are all stupid.

13 minutes ago, ryandb said:

ask the majority of Uni students at Oxford how to start a business, and unless you were in the Business class they'd look at you as if you were asking them to solve the theory of relativity

What part of the Theory of Relativity requires solving? If you're talking about the rejection of the abstract mathematical model or something similar, I should think students at Oxford University would probably know more than non-university educated folk, though I admit that's just a guess. What is not a guess, is that many, many long running and successful businesses have been started by Oxford graduates, and that continues today with a huge start-up presence, especially in mathematics, science, worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

2 hours ago, ryandb said:

Before you say you need money to start a business, mine was started for literally $10

15 minutes ago, ryandb said:

They just know to get a degree and a job is waiting (it's not).

It is difficult to get an exact percentage of the employment rate of graduates from Oxford, but since the generally accepted level is somewhat north of 90% and then some, I wonder why you think there are no jobs 'waiting'. You will find graduates of Oxford in many high level positions in the country, whether in politics, finance or the media. 

If you started a successful business with only $10, a phone and an internet connection, I'm Warren Buffet's daughter.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

What part of the Theory of Relativity requires solving? If you're talking about the rejection of the abstract mathematical model or something similar, I should think students at Oxford University would probably know more than non-university educated folk, though I admit that's just a guess. What is not a guess, is that many, many long running and successful businesses have been started by Oxford graduates, and that continues today with a huge start-up presence, especially in mathematics, science, worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

It is difficult to get an exact percentage of the employment rate of graduates from Oxford, but since the generally accepted level is somewhat north of 90% and then some, I wonder why you think there are no jobs 'waiting'. You will find graduates of Oxford in many high level positions in the country, whether in politics, finance or the media. 

If you started a successful business with only $10, a phone and an internet connection, I'm Warren Buffet's daughter.

Hi Susan

Of course, your points are valid on the Oxford graduates, now find the % of Oxford Brookes grads in the past 5 years who are employed in their field from the degrees. Most are working in call centers and sales. Uni is not what it was 50 years or even 30 years ago, yes your elite school grads have no issues due to connections and prestige but your mickey mouse degrees mean jack<deleted> in the competitive fields.

Again my point is setting up a business is not hard and this guy has a generally bigoted opinion that the single mothers who go into prostitution here are all dumb and from a village with no electricity and have zero other option. Massively racist opinion to hold.

Edited by ryandb
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Hi Susan

You genuinely mistake me for someone else, so please do not let that cloud your replies. I am only responding to what you wrote in this thread, as I disagree with you.

Most are working in call centers

If you seriously think the majority of Oxford graduates work in call centres I would like to see the data, as I admit I would be astonished.

but your mickey mouse degrees mean jack<deleted>

Who is 'your' directed at? I have nothing to do with the degree system in the UK. You make bold statements with nothing to back them up. 

Again my point is setting up a business is not hard

I know no one (including myself) who has started a business and thought it was easy. It's not easy, not here and not in Europe, at least it is not easy to be successful. It is hard work and even then there are no guarantees of success. That's with finance, a western education, a hard work ethic, a knowledge of my sector. I have no doubt though that my western education has been an advantage in being a success, along with a fair amount of luck, something which many successful business people mention.

this guy has a generally bigoted opinion that the single mothers who go into prostitution here are all dumb and from a village with no electricity and have zero other option

This guy was not me and I never said anything about the people here, bigoted or otherwise. I know first hand that most of the kids go to the local school and the standard of education is quite poor, but I have no idea if that is reflected all over Thailand. I suspect it is true in many places, though that is only a guess. I would agree that there are plenty of options other than prostitution but very few where the same amount of money could be made by so many. I have also seen real poverty here and it does not take a genius to see that, for some, heading to Pattaya etc., is seen as a viable way to earn a living - which it is despite whatever your (or my) moral stance might be.

Edited by Pickwick
a long along!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

You genuinely mistake me for someone else, so please do not let that cloud your replies. I am only responding to what you wrote in this thread, as I disagree with you.

If you seriously think the majority of Oxford graduates work in call centres I would like to see the data, as I admit I would be astonished.

Who is 'your' directed at? I have nothing to do with the degree system in the UK. You make bold statements with nothing to back them up. 

I know no one (including myself) who has started a business and thought it was easy. It's not easy, not here and not in Europe, at least it is not easy to be successful. It is hard work and even then there are no guarantees of success. That's with finance, a western education, a hard work ethic, a knowledge of my sector. I have no doubt though that my western education has been an advantage in being a success, along with a fair amount of luck, something which many successful business people mention.

This guy was not me and I never said anything about the people here, bigoted or otherwise. I know first hand that most of the kids go to the local school and the standard of education is quite poor, but I have no idea if that is reflected all over Thailand. I suspect it is true in many places, though that is only a guess. I would agree that there are plenty of options other than prostitution but very few where the same amount of money could be made by so many. I have also seen real poverty here and it does not take a genius to see that, for some, heading to Pattaya etc., is seen as a viable way to earn a living - which it is despite whatever your (or my) moral stance might be.

You didn't read I said Oxford Brookes... different Uni to Oxford. 

I'm from western education and it has been no help in my life, I learned the most at home from my family. I'm afraid I have to disagree a business is simply finding a need and filling it.

It was very bigoted, the assumption that a Thai woman is too dumb to do anything else but sell their body is a terrible statement. Anyways I'm done with one.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

, it's why we have so many complainers and moaners here, it's their choice, their life. 

thus the result of pushing all friends and family away long ago......and the forums being the last bastion aka truth social-- X...

11 minutes ago, ryandb said:

You didn't read I said Oxford Brookes

I did read that but you did not mention 'Brookes' in your first post. You wrote 'ask students at uni in Oxford'. When you wrote that you knew that 99.99% of British people immediately thought about the world-renowned Oxford University and not the former polytechnic, now called Oxford Brookes, which most people, myself included, have never heard of.

If you wrote 'ask students at former polytechnics' - which is your point but does not sound as good -  then perhaps/perhaps not (Brookes' own data reports between 85-92% employment/further study rate; I have no idea if that is accurate or not, nor do I know how many are employed in call centres).

21 minutes ago, ryandb said:

I'm from western education and it has been no help in my life, I learned the most at home from my family.

I find it hard to believe that school/education has been of no help to you or your family whatsoever, but I'll take your word for it. Not everyone is so fortunate to come from such a strong family background, or be successful due to 'connections' as you put it, that education is rendered meaningless.

31 minutes ago, ryandb said:

a business is simply finding a need and filling it.

Given your aversion to education, I know you did not learn this from Harvard Business School. It sounds like something someone on youtube, who is desperate for your business, would say. I do not believe the world is full of successful business owners sitting on a beach somewhere, marvelling at how easy it all was. 

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

WTF? is she a flintstone? lookee them stumps.

Sorry, I forgot some of you guys like big, ladyboy feet. 

Not me.... My girlfriend has the cutest, perfect girl feet.

She was offended by your comment. 

IMG_20240621_153253.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

11 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

image.jpeg.7b1b2227dfdab7e963a3d01bbf405ac6.jpeg

The challenge for Pattaya has little to do with the beach it is already nice as long as the sand stays. 

The challenge is what does it have for a family.

It is the same problem that THAILAND itself has.  There is nothing for families to do.  There are no attractions for kids.

If they want to make it family friendly, they need to have attractions for the family. The best comparison I can think of is Coney Island, where there are rides and things for kids to do.

What they need to do is create a Pattaya that Thais want to go to.  Let's face it: they show up when there is a big event, but you need to have activities that will attract the Thai families.

Beleive it or not the same thing that Thai families want is the same as most Tourist families want.

I wonder if you have actually ever been to Pattaya to make the statement that there are 'no attractions for kids'.  And, Thais do come to Pattaya, especially on weekends and long holidays.  Partial list of attractions for kids, and families:

Nong Nooch Gardens

Underwater World

Pattaya Kart Speedway

Mini Siam

Ripley's Believe It or Not

Ramayana Water Park, plus several other water parks, including a new one that just opened recently

Boat trips to the islands with snorkeling

Tiger Park

Universal Studios Aquaverse

Teddy Bear Museum

Elephant Jungle Sanctuary

Frost Magical Ice

Dolphinarium

Horror Hospital

Movies and amusements at Terminal 21 and Central Festival

Great and Grand Sweet

Jurassic Garden

Sanctuary of Truth

Harborland

A number of hotels and resorts geared to kids and families, including Cape Dara and Centara Grand

19 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

What they need to do is create a Pattaya that Thais want to go to.  Let's face it: they show up when there is a big event, but you need to have activities that will attract the Thai families.

No they don't - they can create that somewhere else. Pattaya has made trillions for the country and individuals for years.  What they need to do is accept it and stop worrying about Thailand's image - that's already there, just leave it be.

Just remember, all those bars, seedy as they may be, are actually owned by Thai's, regardless of who's running the business.  Same with the discos and restaurants.  Then there's the vast quantities of beer that's sold - etc. etc. etc.

If there's nowhere for Thai families to go, then make it happen, just not at Pattaya.

• Love It 1