Applying for Thai PR vs Citizenship. What should I do?

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

then he said he wanted to talk to 2 or 3 of my Thai staff and he asked for 3 names of my direct staff and their tel. numbers and he asked if they could all speak English

Thankfully I was spared that.But I think Immigration was satisfied that my company was making a solid contribution so no need to delve further.In my earlier post about absolute essentials I should have mentioned university degree, the more famous the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

One further point. I suspect most foreigners who might be interested to apply for Thai PR are aware that the rejection rate is very high. When I applied the regulation was that 50 foreigners could be approved from each approved country. but the reality is that only very small numbers actually get approved.

for the year I applied the total number of applications approved was 5 (five).

I had always thought that Immigration advised candidates who didn't meet PR criteria at an early stage there was little point proceeding (or to come back another year if circumstances changed). Consequently I have always assumed those applicants who met criteria almost always got through to Ministry of Interior and subsequent approval.I also understood in reality the national quota - i thought it was 100 - was never an issue for Westerners; of course times have changed and there might be many more PR applicants than in the past.Having said that the easier - and cheaper - path to citizenship might also be expected to have reduced PR applicants.So who knows?

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I had always thought that Immigration advised candidates who didn't meet PR criteria at an early stage there was little point proceeding (or to come back another year if circumstances changed). Consequently I have always assumed those applicants who met criteria almost always got through to Ministry of Interior and subsequent approval.I also understood in reality the national quota - i thought it was 100 - was never an issue for Westerners; of course times have changed and there might be many more PR applicants than in the past.Having said that the easier - and cheaper - path to citizenship might also be expected to have reduced PR applicants.So who knows?

I got 'approval' at the time of my interview (27 years ago and some factors / processes will of course have changed). I don't now if other applicants received any advice about refusal or difficulties.

As Jayboy says the regulation is now that a total of 100 can be approved per country per year. When I applied the maximum was 50.

I'm aware that there's still a high rejection rate. 

From several non planned social discussions* it seems that many foreigners believe proving 3 consecutive years of work permits and proof of paying personal taxes means automatic PR. (*and I've had 2 personal message here on AN / ThaiVisa from foreigners sharing they got rejected and don't understand why - they submitted proof of 3 years of WPs and payment of taxes. A couple of times I replied saying that I really can't comment but asking whether the person had submitted the additional documents required and can 'pass' these requirements and asking whether they had attended an interview. The answers were 'what other requirements ' and 'what interview?)

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

It seems weird that after getting PR one still has to apply for a WP. How stupid is that.... In any western country that would be unnecessary surely

You are in for a treat, your path is a long one, be prepared for obstacles, you will be dealt lots of weird and stupid stuff.