5 Year Motorcycle Driving License Renewal - Already Did The Online Training

I need to renew my 5 year motorcycle driving license, but I have a few questions as I think some things have changed since my last 5 year renewal.

I already completed the 4-part, 1-hour online video training. And the end of the training though I was expecting a code number or a QR code as evidence of completion, but nothing was given. Will I need to provide anything to the DLT office to prove that I already completed the online training? Or will they know that I already completed it based on my passport number, which what was used to register for the online training?

Also, I tried to book an online appointment for the renewal procedure at the Chatuchak DLT Office Area 5 location via the https://gecc.dtl.go.th website, but the website said I cannot book an online appointment for that office. So I am wondering if I should still go and do it at Chatuchak without a queue? Or, if having a queue would save a lot of time, then should I switch to renewing it at Prakanong DLT Office Area 3 instead which is where I can book an online queue?

What documents do I need to bring? I assume it is just passport, expiring driving license, and house registration (yellow) book as proof of home address?

And do I need to bring photocopies of my documents or can I get all that done there?

Lastly, is any kind of medical certificate required?

Thanks.

Edited by TylerBKK
Corrections

You’ll need the medical certificate, yellow book, photo copies of the pp bio page and of the extension, the old license. In cm I did the online training last year and they didn’t ask for the QR code, maybe they forgot so I don’t know and I can only speak of my experience in cm.

• Thanks 1

Don't you get a 'virtual certificate' when you've completed the online video lectures? I'm sure I had to show them the app on my phone when I went for my appointment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try another login:

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Passport

Username / ID No.: that is letter "Pccc######..."

ccc: three letter country code like used by immigration 90 day report etc.

USA for USA
GBR for UK

AUS for Australia

DEU for Germany

CHE for Switzerland

##... your passport number

Date of birth in ddmmyyyy

So a US citizen born on 9 OCT 1985:

PUSA09101985

Try and say what you see.

I do not see a QR code (used in March) just a text saying it expires in 67 days (totally valid for 180 days).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies. It used to be that when renewing a 5 year driving license that a medical certificate wasn't required. I guess they require it now. That's no problem.

There is a little old medical clinic next to the Chatuchak DLT that does medical certificates for 150 Baht. Links and info is below. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZzbB6KT6TxwkeaEb7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6bs8rcz2fzmdns3y8

Also, I logged back into the dlt-elearning website and attached is a screenshot of what it shows me. At the top it shows my login ID, but I removed that from the screenshot. But I can show that to them at the DLT. 

I will get copies of everything (passport, current visa, old driving license, yellow book) and a copy of my pink Thai ID card and bring also all the original documents with me. 

IMG_6438.thumb.jpeg.7fe37a5540b1805700956a33929ef9fb.jpeg

IMG_6440.thumb.jpeg.49ea9c1e4962e67b94fd322c4048a862.jpeg

IMG_6441.thumb.jpeg.eb5fdbca21c2ca225a0ec83b7cbdf317.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I understand now where I made the error on obtaining the QR code from the online training.

After you get the above screen which I posted showing that m you've completed the training then there is still one more step and you need to click on the yellow button that says "Training Certification".

There you will be asked a handful of multiple choice questions and, after you answer those, you will be given a QR code that you can then screen capture and show to the clerk at DLT to prove that you've completed the online training. 

On 7/9/2024 at 9:44 AM, TylerBKK said:

I understand now where I made the error on obtaining the QR code from the online training.

After you get the above screen which I posted showing that m you've completed the training then there is still one more step and you need to click on the yellow button that says "Training Certification".

There you will be asked a handful of multiple choice questions and, after you answer those, you will be given a QR code that you can then screen capture and show to the clerk at DLT to prove that you've completed the online training. 

Yes, should end up with something like this:

<Image removed due to possible leak of personal details>

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:59 AM, Jethro Tull said:

Yes, should end up with something like this:

<Image removed due to possible leak of personal details>

Exactly. That's what I got thanks. And it worked. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a sample of what the QR code screen looks like that they provide to you once you have completed the online e-learning.

All personal data has been removed.

QR1.thumb.jpg.ecd59ef64d19e0c91aaf2fbf40de178d.jpg

Edited by TylerBKK

On 6/22/2024 at 2:14 PM, TylerBKK said:

Thank you for all the replies. It used to be that when renewing a 5 year driving license that a medical certificate wasn't required. I guess they require it now. That's no problem.

There is a little old medical clinic next to the Chatuchak DLT that does medical certificates for 150 Baht. Links and info is below. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZzbB6KT6TxwkeaEb7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6bs8rcz2fzmdns3y8

Also, I logged back into the dlt-elearning website and attached is a screenshot of what it shows me. At the top it shows my login ID, but I removed that from the screenshot. But I can show that to them at the DLT. 

I will get copies of everything (passport, current visa, old driving license, yellow book) and a copy of my pink Thai ID card and bring also all the original documents with me. 

IMG_6438.thumb.jpeg.7fe37a5540b1805700956a33929ef9fb.jpeg

IMG_6440.thumb.jpeg.49ea9c1e4962e67b94fd322c4048a862.jpeg

IMG_6441.thumb.jpeg.eb5fdbca21c2ca225a0ec83b7cbdf317.jpeg

I've been using Chatuchak DLT since 2017. Always go to Dr Lamduan clinic who is very efficient. Never waited more than 15 minutes. Be advised, if you got your DL using passport number rather than PinkID card then Chatuchak will not accept yellow book - they want letter from embassy or immigration. This is my experience at that office. I now go elsewhere as cannot get letter from embassy anymore (UK stopped it in December 2022) and I rarely ever stay 90 days in Thailand due to travel and business (so don't file 90 day report which is a requirement for residency letter from immigration). I do the online course and print the QR code - Thais like hard copies of documents!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Be advised, if you got your DL using passport number rather than PinkID card then Chatuchak will not accept yellow book - they want letter from embassy or immigration. This is my experience at that office

I am sorry, but that actually isn't correct. You can renew at Chatuchak using pink card and yellow book, but first you must return to your local district office (the one which had issued you the pink card) and request a copy of the attached sample document from them.

The district office will provide the document for free and it should be quick to get it from them as long as you bring your yellow book and pink card to the district office with you.

Then, with a copy of that document, you can renew with pink card and yellow book at Chatuchak, which will also change your driving license number from your passport number over to the Thai ID card number on your pink card. Then, on future renewals, you should only need to show pink card and yellow book at Chatuchak (or any other office) to renew your driving license and no more passport and residency certificate should ever be required.

I also didn't renew at Chatuchak and I used a different office instead. This was because Chatuchak doesn't offer online queue bookings like some of the other area offices in Bangkok do and, if you go to Chatuchak in person, I found that you will get a queue number that is at least 6 weeks out. At some of the other area offices you can reserve a queue date online to renew your license via their DLTSmartQueue app and then you will likely also get a queue date within only about 1-2 weeks out instead. So it will be a shorter wait time to renew at some of the other area offices and it will only require one trip to renew at one of the other DLT offices (if you have an online queue date) rather than two trips to DLT at Chatuchak.

Also, some of the other area offices will only require the pink card and yellow book to renew the license the first time using that method and may not require the additional document from your district office of the sample document attached. It depends on the DLT office. 

Lastly, if you want to renew using pink card and yellow book then you will need to do the online course in Thai as a Thai person and create a login on the site using your Thai ID number to do the course and not do the course in English using your passport number as the login. Not a big deal, but there will be 7 parts to the online Thai course and a multiple choice test question that you must answer in Thai during each of the 7 parts. So 7 test questions will need to be answered in Thai to complete the online training if you want to do it that way. 

IMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.be6de91cdbf68a6f1e5fb3ff2fbd97ee.jpeg

IMG_6475.thumb.jpeg.e71fbb31349ab72e8f00c5f79ef0abef.jpeg

Edited by TylerBKK
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

I am sorry, but that actually isn't correct. You can renew at Chatuchak using pink card and yellow book, but first you must return to your local district office (the one which had issued you the pink card) and request a copy of the attached sample document from them.

The district office will provide the document for free and it should be quick to get it from them as long as you bring your yellow book and pink card to the district office with you.

Then, with a copy of that document, you can renew with pink card and yellow book at Chatuchak, which will also change your driving license number from your passport number over to the Thai ID card number on your pink card. Then, on future renewals, you should only need to show pink card and yellow book at Chatuchak (or any other office) to renew your driving license and no more passport and residency certificate should ever be required.

I also didn't renew at Chatuchak and I used a different office instead. This was because Chatuchak doesn't offer online queue bookings like some of the other area offices in Bangkok do and, if you go to Chatuchak in person, I found that you will get a queue number that is at least 6 weeks out. At some of the other area offices you can reserve a queue date online to renew your license via their DLTSmartQueue app and then you will likely also get a queue date within only about 1-2 weeks out instead. So it will be a shorter wait time to renew at some of the other area offices and it will only require one trip to renew at one of the other DLT offices (if you have an online queue date) rather than two trips to DLT at Chatuchak.

Also, some of the other area offices will only require the pink card and yellow book to renew the license the first time using that method and may not require the additional document from your district office of the sample document attached. It depends on the DLT office. 

Lastly, if you want to renew using pink card and yellow book then you will need to do the online course in Thai as a Thai person and create a login on the site using your Thai ID number to do the course and not do the course in English using your passport number as the login. Not a big deal, but there will be 7 parts to the online Thai course and a multiple choice test question that you must answer in Thai during each of the 7 parts. So 7 test questions will need to be answered in Thai to complete the online training if you want to do it that way. 

IMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.be6de91cdbf68a6f1e5fb3ff2fbd97ee.jpeg

IMG_6475.thumb.jpeg.e71fbb31349ab72e8f00c5f79ef0abef.jpeg

Thanks. That is very helpful and useful to know. I will try that route for next renewal. 

Last time, I did the online course twice. Once using PP number and secondly using Pink Card number just to be sure. Rather than wasting 2 hours, I setup a second laptop on my desk and ran the tests on that whilst doing other work on my main laptop.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. That is very helpful and useful to know. I will try that route for next renewal. 

Last time, I did the online course twice. Once using PP number and secondly using Pink Card number just to be sure. Rather than wasting 2 hours, I setup a second laptop on my desk and ran the tests on that whilst doing other work on my main laptop.

Your welcome. I hope it works out for you too in the future. I also have a Thai car driving license that will expire in the next couple of years and I will aim to get that converted over to align with my Thai ID card number too. The good thing is that your Thai ID number will never change whereas your passport number normally changes every 10 years. So if renewing with a passport, there will be times that you will need to show both your old passport and your new passport to renew. Just more paperwork and things to remember to bring with you. 

This year, I also did both online courses, the English and the Thai one. Next renewal on the motorcycle license and I'll just do the Thai one though and same for the car license when I renew it in a couple of years.

To be honest, when I showed the QR code to the woman at DLT she didn't even scan my QR or look at it on my phone screen for more than a second. I don't think she was even looking to see what language I had done it in. According to the rules, if you are renewing with a passport, then you should be doing the video in English and if you are renewing using your Thai ID card number then you should be doing the video in Thai. They might look at that more closely at a place like Chatuchak, but at the other DLT offices they probably don't worry about it. That was my experience anyway. 

Also, that additional sample document that I attached above, I'm not sure if the other DLT offices really require that too or not. Again, maybe that's only a Chatuchak thing. At the other offices you may only need to just show your yellow book and your pink card and provide photocopies, then tell them you want to renew using the pink card method. Perhaps that would be enough. When I handed it to the woman at the DLT office where I recently renewed she looked at it for a few seconds and then handed it back to me. I guess that means she didn't really require it. I think it is still good to have it though just in case they want it. And then the second time you renew your license using your pink card it definitely won't be needed. 

Edited by TylerBKK