Getting a Chinese Visa

Is it possible for western tourists in Thailand to get a Chinese tourist visa at the consulate in Bangkok?   I don't live near a consulate here in Canada and they apparently require you to apply in person.

Edited by shdmn

I already spent quite a bit of time googling it.  I know I can download the forms online.  What I don't know is if I can get the visa in Bangkok or if I need to get it in my home country, which is not practical for me since I am nowhere near a consulate.

Edited by shdmn

Visas are not obtained at the embassy.  You must go through the China Visa Center near Makkasan station.

https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/qianzhengyewu

you can call or email.

Call: +66-(0)22075888
E-mail: [email protected]

or if you're still in the great white north,

Fax: 403-699-9776

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I know I can download the forms online.  What I don't know is if I can get the visa in Bangkok or if I need to get it in my home country, which is not practical for me since I am nowhere near a consulate.

If you fail in Bkk, try HK

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

That link doesn't answer my question.  It just takes you to the forms.

It has links to FAQ’s that answers your, and many other questions.

For instance 

“If you are not applying for the visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid or visa of stay, residence, employment or student status of the country where you are currently staying”

I’m British and successfully applied for my visa at that Visa Application Centre in Bangkok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Visas are not obtained at the embassy.  You must go through the China Visa Center near Makkasan station.

https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/qianzhengyewu

you can call or email.

Call: +66-(0)22075888

or if you're still in the great white north,

Fax: 403-699-9776

I suppose I could contact one of the Canadian consulates but I doubt they would be able to help.  They require me to go there in person which is not an option for me.

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I used to get visas in Bangkok regularly, always issued the same day.  It seemed to me the most important document was the invitation letter from some Chinese entity.  I'd reckon if you have that you're good to go.

I am not sure how to deal with that requirement. I don't know anyone in China and don't plan to go on any organized tours or anything like that.  Perhaps that is something a visa agent could help with?

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

I suppose I could contact one of the Canadian consulates but I doubt they would be able to help.  They require me to go there in person which is not an option for me.

You won't get your visa at an embassy or consulate.  For visas you go through the Visa Service Center.

You have the email and phone for the Bangkok office and the Canuckian office.  Contact them.  The Bangkok office responds to email.

16 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

You won't get your visa at an embassy or consulate.  For visas you go through the Visa Service Center.

You have the email and phone for the Bangkok office and the Canuckian office.  Contact them.  The Bangkok office responds to email.

The Chinese consulate website in Vancouver Canada points to that service center website, but I still have to physically go into the Chinese consulate in Vancouver Canada with the documents I download and fill out from the service center website.  I can't actually get a tourist evisa from that website, which is what you seem to be trying to say.  I wish I could.  It would certainly make this process lot easier.

Since going into the Chinese consulate in Vancouver is not an option for me, I am on here asking if I can do this in Bangkok instead.

Edited by shdmn

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

I am not sure how to deal with that requirement. I don't know anyone in China and don't plan to go on any organized tours or anything like that.  Perhaps that is something a visa agent could help with?

I just had a look at the Bangkok application centre information, seems you should be OK with a hotel booking alone, lots of info on the website....https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/qianzhengyewu/jichuzhishi/banliliucheng

Your best bet is to contact a visa agent in Canada and see what they suggest.  If they can't help you, find a visa agent in Bangkok when you get to Thailand.  You'll get better current information from someone who does it every day for a living than people guessing.  I'm posting this from China.  I got my 10 year tourist visa (L) in Bangkok and I don't even know where the Visa Center is.  I used VIP Passport Services in Houston to get visas in the USA.  Rarely went in myself, even when they had a consulate in Houston.  Sadly, I don't know what agent my company used to get my L visa in Bangkok.  But I'm sure they're easy to find with a search.

Edited by impulse

36 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I just had a look at the Bangkok application centre information, seems you should be OK with a hotel booking alone, lots of info on the website....https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/qianzhengyewu/jichuzhishi/banliliucheng

Yes, it appears that an agoda reservation would probably suffice according to the info at that link.  Sounds easy enough.  Chinese Visa Center is only about a 10min walk from Phetchaburi MRT.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

The Chinese consulate website in Vancouver Canada points to that service center website, but I still have to physically go into the Chinese consulate in Vancouver Canada with the documents I download and fill out from the service center website.  I can't actually get a tourist evisa from that website, which is what you seem to be trying to say.  I wish I could.  It would certainly make this process lot easier.

Since going into the Chinese consulate in Vancouver is not an option for me, I am on here asking if I can do this in Bangkok instead.

No, man!  You never go to the consulate in Vancouver.  The visa center handles the........................visas. 

What I'm saying is you should contact the visa center in Bangkok.

I gave you there email, and mentioned that they DO reply to inquiries.  They can tell you if you as a tourist can apply for a visa.  The Bangkok office will issue visas if you have a Thai non-O visa/extension.

If you hold an ordinary passport, you should submit your application at the Visa Centre in the country where you lawfully reside.

You could contact the visa center in your country.  If you read the FAQ's, it may be possible to apply thru a travel agent if they can handle the fingerprints.

According to the requirements of Chinese Embassy and Consulate General, you must come to the Visa Centre in person to submit your applicaiton and your fingerprints must be collected (person who under 14 years old or elder than 70 years old is exempted). If you want to apply through a travel agency, the agency will be responsible to confirm with you about the submission and fingerprint collection.

Or gosh, you could try the Hong Kong branch to see if the rules are different for applying within an SAR.  If so, you fly to Hong Kong as your entry to China.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

No, man!  You never go to the consulate in Vancouver.  The visa center handles the........................visas. 

I gave you there email, and mentioned that they DO reply to inquiries.  They can tell you if you as a tourist can apply for a visa.  The Bangkok office will issue visas if you have a Thai non-O visa/extension.

If you hold an ordinary passport, you should submit your application at the Visa Centre in the country where you lawfully reside.

You could contact the visa center in your country.  If you read the FAQ's, it may be possible to apply thru a travel agent if they can handle the fingerprints.

According to the requirements of Chinese Embassy and Consulate General, you must come to the Visa Centre in person to submit your applicaiton and your fingerprints must be collected (person who under 14 years old or elder than 70 years old is exempted). If you want to apply through a travel agency, the agency will be responsible to confirm with you about the submission and fingerprint collection.

Or gosh, you could try the Hong Kong branch to see if the rules are different for applying within an SAR.  If so, you fly to Hong Kong as your entry to China.

The upshot of your post is :  Call a visa agent.  Or risk getting really disappointed.  If they can't help you, the call will cost nothing.

In 25 years of getting China visas for work, for business and for tourism, here's what I've found:  The rules are different in different locations, and depend on your nationality and your visa status in the country where you apply.  The rules change occasionally, so what worked last year often didn't work for me the next year, even at the same office.

I have found China Immigration and Public Security Bureau to be extremely reasonable, and pretty easy to work with.  But they do have complex rules that change pretty often.  Especially when there are activities like the Olympics or high level political meetings coming up.  (Edit:  And sometimes, the changes only last for limited period) 

Visa agents keep up with the changes.  Websites don't.

Edited by impulse

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

The upshot of your post is :  Call a visa agent.  Or risk getting really disappointed.  If they can't help you, the call will cost nothing.

No, the upshot is:  First contact the China Visa Center directly.

They are authorized by the China embassy.

They process visa applications.

They publish and follow the rules.

There is no corruption, no bribes.

They respond to emails.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

No, the upshot is:  First contact the China Visa Center directly.

They are authorized by the China embassy.

They process visa applications.

They publish and follow the rules.

There is no corruption, no bribes.

They respond to emails.

Wouldn't that make them a Visa Agent

And render the rest of the information posted here (much of it conflicting) moot?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

Wouldn't that make them a Visa Agent

And render the rest of the information posted here (much of it conflicting) moot?

No, they are a contracting service employed by and authorized by the China embassy to process visas in accordance with published regulations.

They are not random private individuals slipping wads of cash under the table to corrupt immigration officers to rubber-stamp visas for people unable or unwilling to meet the requirements.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

No, they are a contracting service employed by and authorized by the China embassy to process visas in accordance with published regulations.

They are not random private individuals slipping wads of cash under the table to corrupt immigration officers to rubber-stamp visas for people unable or unwilling to meet the requirements.

Probably ought to check your facts.  Here's from their website:

The Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (hereinafter referred to as the “Application Centre”) is a commercial service organization registered in accordance with local laws and regulations and recognized by a Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to handle the daily routine work of processing ordinary visa and authentication applications. However, it operates independently of diplomatic missions and is neither a branch nor an affiliated organ.

Which makes them a Visa Agent.  Just like a lot of other visa agents recognized by the Embassy or Consulate.  That's what allows them to bring in piles of passports.

https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/guanyuwomen/guanyuqianzhengzhongxin

• Confused 1

Okay

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Probably ought to check your facts.  Here's from their website:

The Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (hereinafter referred to as the “Application Centre”) is a commercial service organization registered in accordance with local laws and regulations and recognized by a Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to handle the daily routine work of processing ordinary visa and authentication applications. However, it operates independently of diplomatic missions and is neither a branch nor an affiliated organ.

Which makes them a Visa Agent.  Just like a lot of other visa agents recognized by the Embassy or Consulate.  That's what allows them to bring in piles of passports.

https://bio.visaforchina.cn/BKK3_EN/guanyuwomen/guanyuqianzhengzhongxin

That in no way describes the typical "visa agent" we have here bribing local officials to obtain visas for those who do not qualify.

I highly doubt the "visa service center" contracted by the China embassy will be bribing officials, forging documents, faking bank deposits, or sending your passport to other countries for visa stamps.

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I am not flying to Hong Kong to enter China so getting a visa in Hong Kong is not an option.  I am not near a Chinese visa center in Canada so getting a Chinese visa in Canada is not an option.  Now you seem to be saying that as a western tourist entering Thailand visa exempt I cannot get a Chinese tourist visa in Bangkok, so once again I am back to being confused.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I am not flying to Hong Kong to enter China so that is not an option.  Now you seem to be saying that as a western tourist entering Thailand visa exempt I cannot get a Chinese touris visa in Bangkok, so once again I am back to being confused.  

Where's the confusion.

Your question is answered in the FAQ.

A long-term visa is acceptable evidence that you lawfully reside in Thailand and can apply for a China visa.  A tourist visa is not.

I will repeat:  Contact the Bangkok visa center for confirmation.

15 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Where's the confusion.

Your question is answered in the FAQ.

A long-term visa is acceptable evidence that you lawfully reside in Thailand and can apply for a China visa.  A tourist visa is not.

I will repeat:  Contact the Bangkok visa center for confirmation.

Yes I know what it says.  That is why I came on here and asked the question if I can get it done in Bangkok instead.  Others, who have presumably entered Thailand as a tourist and done it, are implying it's possible to do this in Bangkok.

You were also trying to tell me in your previous post that I can get this done in Hong Kong, which contradicts this latest post of yours and is not even an option for me.  So if you want to know where the confusion is coming from, look in the mirror

Edited by shdmn

16 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Yes I know what it says.  That is why I came on here and asked the question if I can get it done in Bangkok instead.  Others, who have presumably entered Thailand as a tourist and done it, are implying it's possible to do this in Bangkok.

You were also trying to tell me in your previous post that I can get this done in Hong Kong, which contradicts this latest post of yours and is not even an option for me.  So if you want to know where the confusion is coming from, look in the mirror

No, I said the rules might be different in Hong Kong as a SAR, and that you could contact them to find out.  It would give you an option if you can't get your visa in Canada or Thailand.

Others may have obtained a tourist visa for China in Bangkok or Chiang Mia, but when?  We had that covids thing and all the rules have changed.  I wouldn't fly to Bangkok intending on getting a China visa or a tourist waiver based on some random poster's possibly out-of-date anecdote.

Contact the visa center.