Getting a Chinese Visa

14 minutes ago, Tubulat said:

Yes, it is possible, as a foreigner I did that some 6 years ago and went to the Chinese embassy, not consulate, in Bangkok and get a visa to visit China.

Sounds really relevant... 6 years ago. I could have said to invest in Ukraine at that time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

Yes I know what it says.  That is why I came on here and asked the question if I can get it done in Bangkok instead.  Others, who have presumably entered Thailand as a tourist and done it, are implying it's possible to do this in Bangkok.

Asking questions on here will always lead to conflicting answers.  I have done it a couple of times, first time you had to go to the embassy but then they opened the VAC. I found it all very straightforward but I was on a Non O.

I would suggest you just make the application in Bangkok and when interviewed you can plead your case. All you need is fairly reasonable reasons why you did not get visa before travelling. The same thing is said about Schengen visas for Thais, yet I know of several successful applications made in the UK.

I would also suggest that your case would be stronger if you came to Thailand on a tourist visa rather than visa exempt. I am aware that many will disagree on that but it is all about perception, at the end of the day, up to you.

On 6/23/2024 at 7:34 AM, shdmn said:

Yes, it appears that an agoda reservation would probably suffice according to the info at that link.  Sounds easy enough.  Chinese Visa Center is only about a 10min walk from Phetchaburi MRT.

In my experience the information is correct. The China visa center on Rama IX is large and set up to facilitate relatively quick visa turnaround despite the high volumes of applicants. I have applied and have been granted visas a few times. The set up is impressive and English, Thai, Spanish, and Mandarin are spoken. 

A somewhat related topic. I have an American passport and 5 or 6 years ago I received a ten year tourist visa from the Chinese Consulate in Los Angeles. Th actual visa is stamped in a passport that expired last year. Does anyone know if that visa is still valid and acceptable for another trip to China?