How to get a 3-month visa to Thailand

I am planning to stay 3 months in Thailand for a long holiday. Last time I applied for a visa to Thailand we still had an Embassy in Perth. (Consulate) But I believe it has been shut down. Can I apply online and what are the cost for the visa? I know for the extension I can apply in Thailand and pay 1900 baht. I am just asking about where I can apply for the initial visa and what are the costs. I am married to a Thai if that is important. Any help appreciated. Cheers.

• Confused 1

I got a 2 month in Australia in March by applying through the Embassy Canberra here https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/visa-categories/ . Some say better to apply by the Sydney site as less officious - even though Perth people are pointed towards Canberra -  but I had no issues with Canberra. It is now all online for $60. Don't have to send passport or muck around. Can apply up to 3 months before. 

Not sure if or when Australians can simply get 2 months on arrival as had been suggested with no application needed. Last time I saw not official but others likely know better. As detailed in other topics.

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I got a 2 month in Australia in March by applying through the Embassy Canberra here https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/visa-categories/. Some say better to apply by the Sydney site as less officious - even though Perth people are pointed towards Canberra -  but I had no issues with Canberra. It is now all online for $60. Don't have to send passport or muck around. Can apply up to 3 months before. 

Not sure if or when Australians can simply get 2 months on arrival as had been suggested with no application needed. Last time I saw not official but others likely know better. As detailed in other topics.

Thanks, for your reply, so I can apply online, do I have to state the length when I apply and extend it in Thailand?

You apply here  https://www.thaievisa.go.th/  All the details are there.

Easy to get a single entry tourist visa, 60 days, then the 30 day extension as you mention.

You could also get a single non-O based on marriage, that would give you a 90 day entry.  But you would need more documents and likely need THB400k in the bank for that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Thanks, for your reply, so I can apply online, do I have to state the length when I apply and extend it in Thailand?

I put the dates in as a total of about 80 days and it seemed they assume I apply for the additional 30 days on arrival. I included a hotel booking for one week only and that was fine too. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice in couple of earlier posts.

One other alternative is to enter visa exempt (30 day) and obtain 60 day extension "to visit wife" 

I will be coming with my wife who also lives in Australia 

3 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

going on year 16 here and never arrived with a visa--also one way tix(calm down boys)...

get my 30 day stamp and ext 30--then do my 2 allowed border hops and ext those= 6months....

done and done.....going next week for 1st border hop into laos/CK...will see if I get the new 60 days as posted here...

why get a visa when they speak about giving free 60 days on arrival....but call me crazy.....

It is still 30 days

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are over 50 you can apply for non-imm O (Retirement) which gives you 90 days. Costs $120 but that's cheaper than 60 day tourist visa ($60) + 30 day extension (1900 baht = $80). Plus no need to mess up your holiday with a day at immigration to get the extension.

Also seems easier than Tourist Visa as no need to upload proof of flights or accommodation. You do need a bank statement showing the equivalent of 800k baht. 

I applied to Canberra office in March on a Thursday, visa was emailed to me on the Saturday

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 9:04 AM, Pattaya57 said:

If you are over 50 you can apply for non-imm O (Retirement) which gives you 90 days. Costs $120 but that's cheaper than 60 day tourist visa ($60) + 30 day extension (1900 baht = $80). Plus no need to mess up your holiday with a day at immigration to get the extension.

Also seems easier than Tourist Visa as no need to upload proof of flights or accommodation. You do need a bank statement showing the equivalent of 800k baht. 

I applied to Canberra office in March on a Thursday, visa was emailed to me on the Saturday

Please allow me a question concerning those 800k BHT:
Is it necessary to have those 800k BHT on a THAI bank account or is the equivalent in foreign currency on a foreign account sufficient?
As I understood the embassys website and the information I can find there, 800k BHT are required. Foreign currency and/or foreign accounts were not mentioned.

16 minutes ago, Rohe60 said:

Please allow me a question concerning those 800k BHT:
Is it necessary to have those 800k BHT on a THAI bank account or is the equivalent in foreign currency on a foreign account sufficient?
As I understood the embassys website and the information I can find there, 800k BHT are required. Foreign currency and/or foreign accounts were not mentioned.

I uploaded an Australian bank account statement that had the equivalent of 800k baht in $A

This is an e-visa applied for in country of residence so there is no way they can expect 800k baht in a Thai bank (it would also be accepted though)

Edited by Pattaya57