Only owner of a rental property can set up electricity account - want to confirm

A friend of mine has found a condo for rent in Bangkok.  Prior to transferring the deposit, she asked the real estate agent to send her the property owner's ID and proof of ownership.  For the proof of ID, she expected a title deed document.  However, the agent told her that a electricity bill from MEA with the name of the owner and the address will be sufficient, because in Thailand only owner can set up electricity account.  The agent further said that when one opens an electricity account, the person has to bring the title deed document to the MEA.  Once the account is opened under the owner's name, it cannot be changed to a different name, until the property is sold to another person.

I want to confirm if what he said is true.  Thanks and look forward to any input.

6 hours ago, Y Chang said:

Once the account is opened under the owner's name, it cannot be changed to a different name, until the property is sold to another person.

Sounds right to me. 

When I've bought properties I've had to buy the electricity meter, so now that meter is in my name. 

• Like 1

That which you assume is correct.

In effect you will be selling electricity to your tenant -typically with no mark up.

You will always be responsible to the electricity provider for payment.

Many years ago a tenant in my condo organised a 'fiddle' with the office manager. The building buys the electricity and then sells to each apartment.

The tenant was billed only 500 baht per month and the  manager  received 500 baht per month from the tenant. The actual bill was about 3000 Baht per month.

Both the tenant and the manager left -just in time. The co -owner had to pay the outstanding balance

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/23/2024 at 4:15 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If you want to see owners ID or blue or yellow book just ask for it. Chanote is a bit big. The elec may be showing an old owner, not current

Unless they are a fool, why would the old owner continue paying the bill or even remain liable for it? 

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Unless they are a fool, why would the old owner continue paying the bill or even remain liable for it? 

they wouldn't continue paying it, similar to property tax, their name can remain on the bill until someone changes it

Renting a condo: copy of your passport, owner's ID, proof of ownership - can be fresh MEA bill. Stay away from "agents" - those maggots are only making things worse.

Yes, keep the copy of owner's ID and the contract close. 

Rental payments only through bank to owner's account. 

Easy, no?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 9:25 PM, Y Chang said:

because in Thailand only owner can set up electricity account. 

This is NOT true. I have an MEA account in my name and I am NOT an owner.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, geminiman said:

Is the actual acount in your name or just the bill?  I see on my (PEA) bill my landlord's name as "Electricity user" with my name below with "Payment by" next to it (all in Thai except my name).

10 minutes ago, treetops said:

Is the actual acount in your name or just the bill?  I see on my (PEA) bill my landlord's name as "Electricity user" with my name below with "Payment by" next to it (all in Thai except my name).

No, it's in my name. I am listed as both the "Electricity user" and" Payment made by".

This is not a condo, but a shophouse (commercial building), that may be the difference. Also it was more than 10 years ago that I set up this account, and it was no small deal at the time dealing with the MEA office. Multiple trips but lots of documents. 

Your inquiry is about verifying property ownership in Thailand before renting a property. Legally, to confirm ownership of a property in Thailand, you should review the title deed, known as the Chanote in Thai. The Chanote is the official document that proves ownership of land and property in Thailand.

While utility accounts, such as electricity from the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), are usually under the property owner's name, this should not be solely relied upon as proof of ownership. Although the process of setting up an electricity account requires proof of address and property documents, a tenant or a third party can hold a utility account.

To ensure your friend's security before transferring any funds or signing a rental agreement, the real estate agent should provide a copy of the actual Chanote. This document can then be cross-checked at the local Land Department for authenticity.

This due diligence step is important because it assures your friend that the person she's dealing with has the legal right to rent the condo. If the agent or purported owner is reluctant to show the Chanote, it could raise concerns about the legitimacy of the rental transaction.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, treetops said:

My PEA bill doesn't have any name on it, no need for it

On 6/22/2024 at 3:25 PM, Y Chang said:

A friend of mine has found a condo for rent in Bangkok.  Prior to transferring the deposit, she asked the real estate agent to send her the property owner's ID and proof of ownership.  For the proof of ID, she expected a title deed document.  However, the agent told her that a electricity bill from MEA with the name of the owner and the address will be sufficient, because in Thailand only owner can set up electricity account.  The agent further said that when one opens an electricity account, the person has to bring the title deed document to the MEA.  Once the account is opened under the owner's name, it cannot be changed to a different name, until the property is sold to another person.

I want to confirm if what he said is true.  Thanks and look forward to any input.

Well yes and no........strange answer but this is Thailand, let me explain:

When I took over my house I tried to change the electricity account into my name, just as a new owner or tenant would do in the UK. I was told that the account could only be in the name of the registered owner but the bills were sent to the property and they would allow monthly direct debits to be requested from my bank account. I thought it was odd but hey, who cares?

However, a few years later I upgraded the supply and had to fill in a few forms in order to do that and pay the usual deposit - the 'owner' got their deposit back.  The account is now in my name - I don't know if the rules have changed or if someone made a cock-up but the bills are in my name now.

I have a Usufruct so I'm neither 'owner' nor tenant - technically.  I do know from friends who rent, that they cannot change the account into their name.

Edited by MangoKorat

Thank you so much for everyone's input.

As it turns out, my friend went to the MEA website to look for additional information.  Per the website, there is an online service to change the name of the electricity user.  See snip-it below.

image.thumb.png.2539199ed14cc5443f5ee5cff248e703.png

Out of an abundance of caution, my friend asked for the Chanote.  The agent did provide the Chanote and the bluebook.  She didn't go as far as cross-checking at the local Land Department for authenticity as suggested by John L.  Instead she checked the credibility and the history of the agent.  And she was quite confident of the authenticity of the condo ownership.  

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback.  I have been living in Thailand for several years already, and still learn something new everyday!

On 6/24/2024 at 11:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

My PEA bill doesn't have any name on it, no need for it

No need for a name on a bill?  Unusual.

What does it say on your bill next to the Thai for "Electricity user"?

On 6/24/2024 at 3:56 PM, geminiman said:

Yes, me too. I needed "more power" so I registered. 

Funny but the owner of house is happy about it.