Global Heat and Climate Extremes Endanger Billions

Social Media

28 minutes ago, connda said:

Yep, the polar ice caps are melting for sure.  God help the Obama's Martha Vineyard properties - they'll be underwater any time now!  Oh!  Looky there - water is lapping the Statue Of Liberty's toes in 2018!

New-York-Then-And-Now-17-26201970.jpg

Obviously built on an elevator. 🤣

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

8bn people alive. Without fossil fuels be less than half. World would be riddled with disease and poverty.

And think how much we owe to horses and oxen. There wouldn't have been major world civilations without them. And so what. Just because something got you to where are now, does that mean you're obliged to stick with it forever? 

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

8bn people alive. Without fossil fuels be less than half. World would be riddled with disease and poverty.

A bit simpel thinking. Without vaccinations and medical improvement and more healthy hygienic methods and lifestyle is the right description of why we reached so many people. 

Without fosil energy, we would had something else.

Cheap Fossil energy have made us greedy, lazy, less healthy  and more stupid is my claim! 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

First off, the urban heat island effect has little to do with your claim that air conditioners are emitting more heat. Actually, had you actually read the articles, you might have noticed this:

"The urban heat island effect is generally strongest in areas with temperate and humid climate conditions as well as dense rural vegetation. In contrast, where rural surroundings have only scarce vegetation, particularly in deserts, cities, like Cairo in Egypt, often show cooler surface temperatures in summer than their neighbouring non-urban areas."

https://joint-research-centre.ec.europa.eu/jrc-news-and-updates/cities-are-often-10-15-degc-hotter-their-rural-surroundings-2022-07-25_en

It [Riyadh] is the largest city on the Arabian Peninsula, and is situated in the center of the an-Nafud desert, on the eastern part of the Najd plateau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riyadh#:~:text=It is the largest city,part of the Najd plateau.

As for the other article..

"The results demonstrate the rise degree is 2.56 °C under inversion conditions and 0.2 °C under normal conditions, which indicates that thermal pollution is serious at stable atmosphere."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riyadh#:~:text=It is the largest city,part of the Najd plateau.

While a/c can have a strong effect on cities where there is an inversion effect,  Riyadh is on a plateau surrounded by deserts. So no inversion effect.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1359431108001725

And as these graphs show, the increase in heat is not confined to the cities. Quite the contrary, in fact. The top figures show measurement from 1979. The bottom from 2019

Linear trends in (top) monthly maximum of daily maximum (TXx) and (bottom) monthly minimum of daily minimum (TNn) temperature change for (a),(c) the whole year and (b),(d) summer only. Study period: 1979–2019.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/apme/60/8/JAMC-D-20-0273.1.xml

Your own KSA study concerns Saudi cities only. Now you seem to want to wander off into the desert and evem across the Red Sea!

Have a great trip!

Much of the medical equipment used today, many of which are life-saving devices, is made from oil. Not only are heart valves and artificial limbs made from petroleum, but also much of the cleaning and safety products medical personnel use. Aspirins and other pharmaceuticals also contain petroleum.

https://www.iogp.org/blog/news/uses-of-oil-and-gas-in-the-medical-field/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Much of the medical equipment used today, many of which are life-saving devices, is made from oil. Not only are heart valves and artificial limbs made from petroleum, but also much of the cleaning and safety products medical personnel use. Aspirins and other pharmaceuticals also contain petroleum.

Which is not the same thing as saying that such things are made from fossil fuels.

26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I guess you don't understand the concept of rate of change, it would be nonsense. Otherwise not.

20 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Like an introductory book on Calculus?

image.png.a5bba29bfdd3bf3498a75a9d3a43020d.png

What does this have to do with human caused climate change? Nothing, absolutely nothing in a disillusioned attempt to reverberate quack science based on computer models skewed to fit an agenda. What your quackery mimics fail to do is to diligently include a litany of imperatives that include the Sun, land and marine carbon sinks etc. The buffoonery here is quite literally remarkable of those trying to explain a subject that they have little conceptual knowledge and understanding, just a of copy and paste reiterated junk. Try giving up the obsessive gotcha doodling on the internet. Go Read Some Real Books!! 

Just now, novacova said:

What does this have to do with human caused climate change? Nothing, absolutely nothing in a disillusioned attempt to reverberate quack science based on computer models skewed to fit an agenda. What your quackery mimics fail to do is to diligently include a litany of imperatives that include the Sun, land and marine carbon sinks etc. The buffoonery here is quite literally remarkable of those trying to explain a subject that they have little conceptual knowledge and understanding, just a of copy and paste reiterated junk. Try giving up the obsessive gotcha doodling on the internet. Go Read Some Real Books!! 

Been cold lately. After 30 years of scaremongering bs still cold! 

Just now, novacova said:

It is the overwhelming consensus of climatologists. So, if you're looking for quackery, you might try searching closer to home.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I'm not a huge fan of individual car ownership simply because there are too many people and too many cars everywhere.

Cities are giant parking lots with all these cars everywhere.

Climate change hoax or not notwithstanding. 

I'm looking forward to robo-taxis where we can hail a robo taxi cheaply.

And once car ownership declines, hopefully the cities will be greener and parking lots are replaced with mini lush forested parks. 

And more walkable and cyclable streets without cars everywhere. 

So don't own one. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Read A bit simpel, I didnt say it was not out of importance, 

We would had solved it differently, and also wasted less natural resources just because we could.

Just now, susanlea said:

Typing on a computer made from fossil fuels. The irony.

I think someone else needs to inform this person that computers are not made even in part from fuel. Fuel is stuff for burning. Be it petroleum or wood. If you have a house made of wood, would that be a house built out of fuel? It's only fuel if it's used for burning.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I think someone else needs to inform this person that computers are not made even in part from fuel. Fuel is stuff for burning. Be it petroleum or wood. If you have a house made of wood, would that be a house built out of fuel? It's only fuel if it's used for burning.

You do not think fuel is burned to manufacture commuters? 

12 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Typing on a computer made from fossil fuels. The irony.

Still they managed great things back in the day, things we still can not reproduce. 

Thats the Irony. Im happy I was born in the time I was born, I had the best out of the best, but also witness to the downfall, sitting here typing with you 😁

Edited by Hummin

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Still they managed great things back in the day, things we still can not reproduce. 

Thats the Irony. Im happy I was born in the time I was born, I had the best out of the best, but also witness to the downfall, sitting here typing with you 😁

Yes massive downfall. Houses, cars, planes, hospitals.

Fossil fuels are terrible for building all of that :cheesy:

On 6/24/2024 at 8:49 AM, novacova said:

Climate fluctuations have been going on for eons, nothing has changed except for human hysterics and gimmicks 

Global CO2 levels have risen in the last 100 years faster than any other time in the tens of thousands of years of history we’ve been able to glean from ice cores etc. Denying the facts acknowledged by anyone with a modicum of common sense let alone the tens of thousands of actual scientists that agree with this is hardly wise. Do you want to play Russian roulette with the only place we can ever live on? Time to pack it in with the conspiracy theorising and get with the program: we’ve got a serious problem. And yes, I studied it, back in the 80’s and all that was predicted is coming to pass.

Just now, Katatonica said:

Global CO2 levels have risen in the last 100 years faster than any other time in the tens of thousands of years of history we’ve been able to glean from ice cores etc. Denying the facts acknowledged by anyone with a modicum of common sense let alone the tens of thousands of actual scientists that agree with this is hardly wise. Do you want to play Russian roulette with the only place we can ever live on? Time to pack it in with the conspiracy theorising and get with the program: we’ve got a serious problem. And yes, I studied it, back in the 80’s and all that was predicted is coming to pass.

Name 20 scientists then.