Secretary Baker in 1990 No extension of NATO "one inch to the east" what could go wrong?

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

?

China is a sovereign state - Taiwan is not.

This is the core of your argument - can't you see the double talk?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You may hate all wars but you like to talk about US ones and deliberately ignore those started by Russia

You quote a Ukrainian propaganda site called "Russia's crimes"?  LOL  dude you really need to research more

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You quote a Ukrainian propaganda site called "Russia's crimes"?  LOL  dude you really need to research more

Are you denying the wars happened? Do you want me to go through each one for you?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you denying the wars happened? Do you want me to go through each one for you?

Deflection and off-topic and those minor wars were insignificant compared to the USA. OFF TOPIC my thread is about NATOs expansion east and the broken promise.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

No.

The core of my argument is that NATO tries to preserve peace and nations join it on a voluntary basis.

Ukraine, to the best of my knowledge, has not volunteered to become part of Putin's Russia.

"Putin is an aggressive war monger looking to leave his mark on history by attacking a sovereign nation"     That was you, was it not?

You seem to like highlighting the sovereign nation part when it suits you but not when it is about the NON-sovereign nation Taiwan. Why's that?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Deflection and off-topic and those minor wars were insignificant compared to the USA. OFF TOPIC my thread is about NATOs expansion east and the broken promise.

Whats off topic? You were very happy to highlight wars involving the US and ignore Russia's. You started it...lol

Here's a few more and your remark that they were insignificant compared to the US is nonsense.

Russian Federation (1991–present)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Russia

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

What on Earth are you talking about?

What the hell has China and Taiwan got to do with anything???????

If you cannot understand the example of a 'sovereign nation' and its context, then you are not used to debates, and I am wasting my time.

• Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

What on Earth are you talking about?

What the hell has China and Taiwan got to do with anything???????

Taiwan is not considered as a sovereign nation. So if China invade Taiwan, it is in theory an internal matter. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Taiwan is not considered as a sovereign nation. So if China invade Taiwan, it is in theory an internal matter. 

....and that is relevant to the discussion of NATO 'expansion'...?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thank you - how he could not understand the logic escapes me - but it is TVF!

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Says a commie living in a none commie country...........:huh:

Commie? Did you mean Homie? That's a nice endearment Trans thanks bro

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

So Ukraine can be attacked by Russia as it is part of Russia.....that's your argument????

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

....and that is relevant to the discussion of NATO 'expansion'...?

It's problematic when Usa Threatening China with war, when technically Taiwan is Chinese. 

Maybe the reason for his reasoning 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

So Ukraine can be attacked by Russia as it is part of Russia.....that's your argument????

No, the argument is that you cannot use 'sovereign nation' like you did in your earlier post.

Russia attacked Ukraine as it did not follow the USA's 1990 agreement and the Minsk Accord of 2014 and was slaughtering Russians in the Donbas. What is it you don't understand?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It's problematic when Usa Threatening China with war, when technically Taiwan is Chinese. 

Maybe the reason for his reasoning 

I was showing the obvious hypocrisy in the argument.   

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

So, are we never to trust treaties, promises, and agreements? Your suggestion is chaos, lying, and betrayal everywhere—a world based on deceit and subterfuge.

This is what humanity has come to?  I hate to say it, but the USA is behind all this evil because it has a saviour complex - it thinks everywhere should be like America the Beautiful. Instead of cooperation we have domination.

When it comes to evil ex-KGB and now Leader of Russia leads the pack.  Not only invade Ukraine but shell civilian targets daily plus infrastructure.  Ukraine would be smart to go ahead and give up the "occupied" territory now but only if Russia restores any other infrastructure or pays for its restoration.  This is my opinion anyway as I ws born and still am anti-communist.

36 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Commie? Did you mean Homie? That's a nice endearment Trans thanks bro

No, I don't make spelling mistakes very often........🤔

Soviet Hammer and Sickle Red Army Flag ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think anybody so far in this discussion has noticed what seems to me to be the obvious point:

All these proposals were conditional. They all begin with "If.." There's no evidence that any negotations actually settled this question. In fact...

Did NATO Promise Not to Enlarge? Gorbachev Says “No”

Western leaders never pledged not to enlarge NATO, a point that several analysts have demonstrated. Mark Kramer explored the question in detail in a 2009 article in The Washington Quarterly. He drew on declassified American, German and Soviet records to make his case and noted that, in discussions on German reunification in the two-plus-four format (the two Germanys plus the United States, Soviet Union, Britain and France), the Soviets never raised the question of NATO enlargement other than how it might apply in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR).

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

The Myth of a No-NATO-Enlargement Pledge to Russia

The documents from all sides fully bear out Zelikow’s argument and undermine the notion that the United States or other Western countries ever pledged not to expand NATO beyond Germany. The British, French, U.S., and West German governments did make certain commitments in 1990 about NATO’s role in eastern Germany, commitments that are all laid out in the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany, but no Western leader ever offered any ‘‘pledge’’ or ‘‘commitment’’ or ‘‘categorical assurances’’ about NATO’s role vis-a`-vis the rest of the Warsaw Pact countries. Indeed, the issue never came up during the negotiations on German reunification, and Soviet leaders at the time never claimed that it did. 

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/files/publication/twq09aprilkramer.pdf

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I don't think anybody so far in this discussion has noticed what seems to me to be the obvious point:

All these proposals were conditional. They all begin with "If.." There's no evidence that any negotations actually settled this question. In fact...

Did NATO Promise Not to Enlarge? Gorbachev Says “No”

Western leaders never pledged not to enlarge NATO, a point that several analysts have demonstrated. Mark Kramer explored the question in detail in a 2009 article in The Washington Quarterly. He drew on declassified American, German and Soviet records to make his case and noted that, in discussions on German reunification in the two-plus-four format (the two Germanys plus the United States, Soviet Union, Britain and France), the Soviets never raised the question of NATO enlargement other than how it might apply in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR).

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

The Myth of a No-NATO-Enlargement Pledge to Russia

The documents from all sides fully bear out Zelikow’s argument and undermine the notion that the United States or other Western countries ever pledged not to expand NATO beyond Germany. The British, French, U.S., and West German governments did make certain commitments in 1990 about NATO’s role in eastern Germany, commitments that are all laid out in the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany, but no Western leader ever offered any ‘‘pledge’’ or ‘‘commitment’’ or ‘‘categorical assurances’’ about NATO’s role vis-a`-vis the rest of the Warsaw Pact countries. Indeed, the issue never came up during the negotiations on German reunification, and Soviet leaders at the time never claimed that it did. 

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/files/publication/twq09aprilkramer.pdf

"a violation of the spirit of the assurances given Moscow in 1990" case closed even though you and the article very carefully do not mention Gorbachov was in his 80s when he gave that interview and under some manipulation by the West. He was broke and  even made an advert for Pizza Hut. He ran for President in 1996 and got 0.5% of the vote. 

He commented "
On 24 December 2021, Gorbachev said that the United States "grew arrogant and self-confident" after the collapse of the Soviet Union, resulting in "a new empire. Hence the idea of NATO expansion" - he was right there!

• Sad 2