Kamala Harris Reproductive Rights ‘Everything is at stake’

Social Media

image.png.28ff4de7f242fe1dc96cb179782b6bdc.png

As the 2024 presidential election approaches, Vice President Kamala Harris emphasized the critical nature of reproductive health rights, asserting that "everything is at stake." The Biden campaign has intensified efforts to highlight the stark differences between Democratic President Joe Biden and Republican Donald Trump on this issue, particularly ahead of their upcoming debate.

In preparation for Monday’s second anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision, which overturned the federal legal right to an abortion, the Biden campaign announced plans for over 50 events across battleground states and beyond. This decision, which marked a significant shift in reproductive rights, was made by a Supreme Court that included three conservative justices appointed during Trump’s presidency.

Harris, in an interview with MSNBC alongside Kentucky abortion rights advocate Hadley Duvall, underscored the broader implications of losing such a fundamental freedom. "Every person of whatever gender should understand that, if such a fundamental freedom such as the right to make decisions about your own body can be taken, be aware of what other freedoms may be at stake," she stated. The Biden campaign is banking on the issue of abortion rights to mobilize voters in what is anticipated to be a closely contested general election.

While Trump has taken credit for the Dobbs decision to appease his conservative base, he has not fully endorsed a national abortion ban, suggesting that the matter should be decided by individual states. In April, he explicitly stated that he would not sign a nationwide abortion ban if passed by Congress, and has avoided clarifying his stance on women's access to the abortion pill mifepristone. At a recent campaign event, Trump touted the Dobbs decision as a significant achievement but acknowledged the political risks of further pressing the issue. "Every voter has to go with your heart and do what’s right, but we also have to get elected," he said.

As Biden began his private preparations for the upcoming debate at Camp David, Trump engaged in an informal preparation process at his Florida estate. Hadley Duvall, who has publicly shared her story of being raped by her stepfather and the subsequent impact of abortion restrictions, joined First Lady Jill Biden at a Pittsburgh campaign rally. Both criticized Trump for supporting the Dobbs decision, with Jill Biden asserting that Trump underestimates the resolve of women when their rights are threatened. "He thinks we can be ignored," she said. "He doesn’t know that when our bodies are on the line, when our daughters’ futures are at stake, we are immovable and we are unstoppable."

Kentucky, Duvall's home state, has implemented a near-total abortion ban following the Dobbs decision, allowing abortions only to save the mother’s life, with no exceptions for rape or incest. In a recent Fox News interview, Trump described the varying state laws on abortion rights as "a beautiful thing to watch." Duvall responded, challenging this view by highlighting the harsh realities faced by young girls in such situations. "I would like to ask him: What is so beautiful about telling a 12-year-old girl that she must have the baby of her stepfather who raped her?" she questioned.

To mark the anniversary of the Dobbs decision, Harris has scheduled campaign events in Arizona and Maryland, while her husband, Doug Emhoff, heads to Michigan. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts will travel to Wisconsin on behalf of the Biden campaign, accompanied by Amanda Zurawski, a Texas woman who was initially denied an abortion despite her baby being non-viable, and only received medical intervention after developing life-threatening sepsis.

Reflecting on the upcoming election, Duvall stressed the stakes for women of reproductive age, urging voters to prioritize reproductive rights regardless of past political affiliations. "If there is a woman who is in that reproductive age, then her life is at stake during this election," she said. "And it does not matter if you have never voted Democrat in your life. It’s get off your high horse, because women, we don’t get to choose a whole lot, and you at least can choose who you can vote for."

Credit: US News 2024-06-25

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

28 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am going to ask a stupid question, but how many times does an average woman have an abortion during her lifetime?

I’m sure not often,it must be a heart wrenching decision,that being said the lady’s ain’t happy about it being wrenched away from them they vote and vote they will.as a side thought the ladies will be hesitant about putting out if they don’t have autonomy over their own body 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I believe women should have the same rights of sovereignty over their own bodies as do men and a right to privacy in matters relating to their own health care.

I agree. In the same vein, men should not be financially responsible for another body produced purely from a woman's body.

With rights comes responsibility. Without rights, there is no responsibility.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I believe women should have the same rights of sovereignty over their own bodies as do men and a right to privacy in matters relating to their own health care.

So you're fine with people refusing vaccines then? 

As for abortion, I'm with Dave on this one. If you want to solely decide on having it, you can solely pay for it. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Some people also think that right should extend to the unborn.

Sadly, they don't vote, nor do they donate money to politicians.  Too bad for them...

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Nor are they people.

They do not exist as citizens or indeed individuals.

That's what Democrats used to say about negros, too.  They were wrong. 

(Hopefully, I'm allowed to use that term for its historical context)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Some people also think that right should extend to the unborn.

Sadly, they don't vote, nor do they donate money to politicians.  Too bad for them...

Its a  heinous act,Mutilating future children of the world!

States rights rule !

harris is playing sick politics!

methinks

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

"It" being the unborn child. You clearly didn't watch the link I was referring to, did you?  

To paraphrase his comment in the video (as part of his stand up routine) to women considering an abortion, "If you can kill the unborn child (it), I sure as hell can abandon it"

Now I appreciate you're paid by the post and have a high target to reach, but maybe slow down a bit, take 2 minutes out of your work day to open said links before commenting and you won't make so many mis-interpretations of other members posts.

You might find that by slowing down a bit you can actually increase your number of posts per hour, = $$$.

I’ve told you before, I don’t watch videos posted in this discussion forum.

I read what others write and respond to what they have written

You wrote:

“As for abortion, I'm with Dave on this one. If you want to solely decide on having it, you can solely pay for it. 

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve told you before, I don’t watch videos posted in this discussion forum.

I read what others write and respond to what they have written

You wrote:

“As for abortion, I'm with Dave on this one. If you want to solely decide on having it, you can solely pay for it. 

If you don't look at posted links, don't complain when you misunderstand subsequent comments about the content of said links. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

I was clearly referring to paying for the child, not the abortion. 

So your opinion is that the woman gets to choose whether to kill their unborn child or not, but the man has no say in that or whether he wishes to pay to raise their child after the woman has made her decision about whether to allow the life of their unborn child to continue? Correct? Seems a bit lop sided to me. 

And you're a proponent of "equality"? 😃

27 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

This topic isn't about slavery. It's about abortion. We're also not living in the 19th century any more.

The topic is whether one class of human beings has the right to life.

Which  makes slavery a direct analogy, where "science" of the period said negros were inferior and the laws of the day did not afford them protections from abuse and being killed if they became inconvenient.

Sound familiar?  Because that's exactly how unborn infants are being treated. In some locations, even fully viable children who just haven't been born yet.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

unborn

Unborn being the operative word.

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

In some locations, even fully viable children who just haven't been born yet.

What percentage of abortions in the US, within your lifetime, were performed on fully viable foetuses (they are not children until born)? How many in the 2nd trimester. How many in the 3rd?

Do you support the withholding of an abortion to a child that has been raped?

Do you support the withholding of an abortion to a mother in the first trimester who has a high chance of not surviving a birth?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

If you don't look at posted links, don't complain when you misunderstand subsequent comments about the content of said links. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

I was clearly referring to paying for the child, not the abortion. 

So your opinion is that the woman gets to choose whether to kill their unborn child or not, but the man has no say in that or whether he wishes to pay to raise their child after the woman has made her decision about whether to allow the life of their unborn child to continue? Correct? Seems a bit lop sided to me. 

And you're a proponent of "equality"? 😃

of course it’s all about men being victims. 

How did I not see that.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The topic is whether one class of human beings has the right to life.

Which  makes slavery a direct analogy, where "science" of the period said negros were inferior and the laws of the day did not afford them protections from abuse and being killed if they became inconvenient.

Sound familiar?  Because that's exactly how unborn infants are being treated. In some locations, even fully viable children who just haven't been born yet.

What class of human beings are you referring to?

Are you inventing new definitions of what constitutes a human being?

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Its a  heinous act, Mutilating future children of the world!

States rights rule !

methinks

I strongly believe that as a woman's body belongs to the woman, only she should have the right to decide what happens with it and NOT a bunch of fat old men who can never, and will never gestate a child until it is born, and then support it through its life, and who have no idea what it involves.

Kamala Harris is a woman and a far better idea of what women like and need, than you, I or any man ever will, especially that fat sick person, EX president Trump. 

His idea of a woman, is simply a pussy that he can grab whenever HE wants. Disgusting vile piece of humanity that he pretends to be.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, riclag said:

Its a  heinous act,Mutilating future children of the world!

States rights rule !

methinks

That was settled in 1865 this is 2024 although your guy is trying desperately to bring us back to that mind set trump and his handlers thrive when America is in chaos and squabbling with each other.         Me thinks.         Naa I know!

• Agree 1