Man’s Desperate Plea for Debt Repayment Totalling Nearly 1 Million Baht

image.jpeg

At the Mahachakrapad intersection in Chachoengsao yesterday, a visibly distraught man took a drastic step to recover nearly one million baht owed to him by a friend.

His profound desperation was evident as he stood on a bridge holding a handwritten sign, pleading for repayment. This friend, despite borrowing the money for urgent medical needs, has not only defaulted but also threatened legal action against him.

The man’s sign read: “Dear Debtor, today I beg you to return the remaining amount of 961,500 baht that you owe my family. You borrowed this money by insisting that your bedridden husband and father, who was in a car accident, needed it urgently."

He continued, “Despite your promise to repay with interest rates of 10% to 20%, you have not honoured our agreement. You’ve used various excuses to borrow more, causing severe hardship for my family. You’ve even threatened to involve a lawyer."

The man, 42-year-old Tabraphon Wattanaprapakorn, explained that he had known the woman, about 30 years old, for several years. Once a kind and supportive figure in his life, the woman had fallen on hard times when her husband became bedridden.

Her financial distress led to an urgent request for a significant loan, purportedly for medical needs. Trusting her due to her previous acts of kindness, Tabraphon borrowed the money from informal lenders on her behalf.

However, as the months rolled on, repayment never came. Instead, she threatened legal action against Tabraphon, exacerbating an already tense situation.

The impact on Tabraphon’s family has been devastating. One of his daughters suffers from a heart condition requiring expensive treatment. His financial stability shattered, Tabraphon felt compelled to make this public plea to attract the woman’s attention, hoping she would repay her debt.

“Borrowing more money is not an option anymore," he declared, as he stood resolutely on the bridge. His family’s plight has left him no choice but to call out for help in such a public manner, hoping to alleviate their financial hardship. His message is clear: the repayment of the debt is critical to his family’s well-being.

Picture courtesy: Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

The real question here, is if he have any documents regarding the loan? Has the woman signed any loan agreement with a repayment agreement attached? 

As has been indicated already, repayment of loans is very rare in Thailand. As a Thai the lender should have known that he was actually making a donation.

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

For illness, doesn't cover accidents.

There is a joke in Thailand that says the 30 Baht scheme covers all illnesses....but to get treated for free you have to have all of them.

I also think you get sub-standard treatment under this system. When my wife caught TB she opted for treatment under this system although she is privately insured (didn't want to pay up front) The treatment went on for 6 weeks with no improvement so we went to a private hospital. The doctor looked at the medication she was taking and said "we can do better than that" and treated her with a European medication, it was cleared up within 2 weeks. The cost though was so high that the doctor said we needn't pay up front, he would deal with the insurance himself.

Interest rates of 10-20%

Some friend.

Sadly I know from observation it seems par for the course that friends extract extortionate interest rates from friends. And I mean friends, not just the colleagues or others that get called 'friends' or 'sisters' or whatever.

Poverty corrodes the human spirit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

There is a joke in Thailand that says the 30 Baht scheme covers all illnesses....but to get treated for free you have to have all of them.

I also think you get sub-standard treatment under this system. When my wife caught TB she opted for treatment under this system although she is privately insured (didn't want to pay up front) The treatment went on for 6 weeks with no improvement so we went to a private hospital. The doctor looked at the medication she was taking and said "we can do better than that" and treated her with a European medication, it was cleared up within 2 weeks. The cost though was so high that the doctor said we needn't pay up front, he would deal with the insurance himself.

isn't TB a year of antibiotics?

1 hour ago, john donson said:

isn't TB a year of antibiotics?

I don't know, perhaps that was what the local hospital was giving her and she lost patience with the slow progress. We've probably progressed a lot in this field since several variants are immune to antibiotics (due to upheavals in the Baltic's etc treatment was often discontinued allowing the pathogens to develop immunity, an urgent problem for Europe with its guest workers). At any rate the new treatment came at a high cost that the doctor didn't disclose to us. Incidentally TB is a big problem in Thailand, I read several years ago that free tests done on shoppers in supermarkets in Bangkok found as many as 3 cases of open TB in every place tested.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Tuberculosis. 

Ah, ok. Thank you. I did not know that is common in Thailand. It was completely gone in Europe but has come back some now with immigrants from middle east and Africa.

1 minute ago, Captor said:

Ah, ok. Thank you. I did not know that is common in Thailand. It was completely gone in Europe but has come back some now with immigrants from middle east and Africa.

It was only eradicated in western Europe, eastern Europe still had/has it unless they are in the EU which upgraded the health care, it is still present in many countries and the types immune to antibiotics is increasing. It isn't the death sentence it once was in Victorian times although I did know a Thai girl who died of it on Koh Samui.