Non-O Retirement Extension Trip Report @ Chaengwattana

Hope this helps someone. This was my first attempt at a retirement extension for a Non-O Retirement Visa (90 days). I will focus on the visit and my rookie mistakes, and not as much on the requirements since that is covered very much elsewhere.

The Appointment –

I booked the appointment from the Immigration website about 1 month in advance. Immigration releases appointment dates a few at a time, so you need to check the system regularly and book well in advance.

Rookie Mistakes:

(a)    Not checking daily for new available time slots.

(b)    Thinking the system is down. The reality is, the booking system is turned off weekends and holidays.

(c)     From a PC, the calendar displays only 1 month at a time. But there is a tiny scroll bar, easy to miss, to display the next month. Additional dates could have been opened for the next month already and you missed them.

The Immigration Visit –

My appointment was for 1pm, L1 section, which handles extension of stays. I arrived 1 hour early, but the office was closed for lunch between 12pm-1pm. Once the doors opened, I was first through the doors and should have been 1st in line with my 1pm appointment and Que number already assigned. But….

My Que number never got called. I kept watch on the “Document Checking” counter #27, and my “Report to Counter #35” as was written on my reservation printout. After waiting 40 minutes, I jumped between people at the Document Check desk and asked for help. She kindly checked my docs, everything was fine, and then told me I was late and sent me over to Counter #35. Again, my Que number never called. Again, I jumped between people and the kind officers helped me and told me I was late. What the????

Rookie Mistakes:

Perhaps some experienced members here can explain what went wrong? I was right on time. My number never got called on the board. My only guess is that, maybe, Counter #27 may have called my number before lunch closure (before I arrived). And that prevented my number from getting called at Counter #35. If anyone know how this works, please chime in.

Documents –

I created a checklist using input from others on this forum. As of today, it is accurate and correct for Chaengwattana office. Using “money in bank” method, 6-month bank statement was fine because the original Non-O VISA was only good for 90 days. (next year I will need to provide a 12-month statement). TM47 (90-day report) not asked for because I just re-entered the country last week.

Non-O Extension Checklist for CW.pdf

The only surprise I got was they rejected my condo owner’s Tambien Baan (blue book).  They wanted a copy of the Deed to the condo showing his name matches the Rental Contract. Fortunately I had a copy of that with me and handed that over (note: Document Check lady didn’t ask).

That is all. I got the 12-month extension stamp and sent on my way.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

My Que number never got called. I kept watch on the “Document Checking” counter #27, and my “Report to Counter #35” as was written on my reservation printout. After waiting 40 minutes, I jumped between people at the Document Check desk and asked for help.

First up thanks for report. Very detailed.

I also select first appointment after lunch break.

Appointments at CW are not "announced"

The first 1pm slot is often a 20 minute + wait as they clear back log of pp from pre lunch applications.

Appointment desks are (thinking) L31 

Guessing your first appointment experience at CW.

Note: for others you need to have hard copy of email appointment confirmation 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lorry said:

As DrJack said, if you have an appointment queue numbers aren't called. 

Actually, you don't need a queue number.  You go in at L thirtysomething, the one that says "appointments", in between others. Better too early than too late. 

Yes, never been asked for this

Never been asked this one either

Which means it's not on their check lists - the  IO just made it up. They have the power to request whatever documents they want. 

Copy of condo owner's ID card (it's on your pdf list) is good enough. 

As to your pdf list:

- many people just put 800,000 in a fixed term deposit and leave it there many years. 

Then you don't need a bank statement, and no withdrawal.

Just original and copy of bank book, and letter from the bank. 

- no need to copy many passport pages.  Picture page,  visa, last entry, last extension, that's it.

- TM30: in CW, TM 30 needs only to be updated if you left the country and came back with a new visa (and even then they are very lenient). If you came back with a reentry permit,  no need for a new TM30

- pink card or house registration and copies are not required. It's good to have them in your bag,  just in case,  but some IOs appreciate if you show them what they need instead of swamping them with unnecessary paperwork. 

Thanks Lorry. Some of your replies didn't align with what others said, such as allowing fixed terms at CW and statements not needed, but I am giving it a good listen for next time. Perhaps others can confirm before I risk the attempt next year. As you said, I probably was subjected to the IO's mood for the day. I was surprised (because I couldn't believe the condo Deed request). I specifically repeated myself twice, "So, next year, I need to bring a copy of this document again?" In unison, they replied YES. 

As for Que numbers, I was expecting the Que number on my appointment printout to appear on the LED screens when it was my turn. My appointment printout said Counter 35. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Appointments at CW are not "announced"

Appointment desks are (thinking) L31 

Guessing your first appointment experience at CW.

Thanks DrJack! This was my first experience at L1 counter for extensions, but last month I was at C1 counter for a re-entry permit and everything went smooth. My appointment number showed up on the LED screen exactly on appointment time. I was in and out in 15 minutes. 

If I understand you, at L1 counter, appointment customers must muzzle between the other Que numbers because appointment numbers won't show on the LED screens. 

3 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I was expecting the Que number on my appointment printout to appear on the LED screens

No, it won't show up. You really have to go in in between others 

4 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

allowing fixed terms at CW and statements not needed

Fixed terms at CW are what most people use. 

If you use a fixed term deposit,  you can get the letter from the bank in the basement of CW (only SCB  not available). They can issue a statement,  too, on the spot (Bangkok Bank, too).

I once was asked by the bank staff whether I wanted letter or statement.  I wasn't sure so I just took both. The result was,  that the IO wasn't sure either which one she should use :) (she used the statement,  in the end)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

The only surprise I got was they rejected my condo owner’s Tambien Baan (blue book).  They wanted a copy of the Deed to the condo showing his name matches the Rental Contract. Fortunately I had a copy of that with me and handed that over (note: Document Check lady didn’t ask).

They requested the deed in my case as well.

My agent stated that they only ask for this on the first application.

We will see if they request it again next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, timendres said:

They requested the deed in my case as well.

My agent stated that they only ask for this on the first application.

We will see if they request it again next year.

They didn't request the deed on my first application, either,  neither on two new "first applications" (new visa) during the last 5 or 6 years. 

It is fairly unusual for a tenant to have a copy of the deed, but he will  have a copy of the landlord's ID, if he rents a condo from a private person. 

The deed can show another name as the rental contract,  namely when you rent an apartment and the landlord is a company. In this case, it would not be easy to get a copy of the deed,  anyway, and  you wouldn't have a "landlord's ID" either.  

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

They didn't request the deed on my first application, either,  neither on two new "first applications" (new visa) during the last 5 or 6 years. 

It is fairly unusual for a tenant to have a copy of the deed, but he will  have a copy of the landlord's ID, if he rents a condo from a private person. 

The deed can show another name as the rental contract,  namely when you rent an apartment and the landlord is a company. In this case, it would not be easy to get a copy of the deed,  anyway, and  you wouldn't have a "landlord's ID" either.  

In my case, I have rented from this condo owner for 17 years. Previously I lived in a different room and now 3 years at my current room.  He gave me the Deed copies and I didn't know what to do with it. I am glad I brought it to Immigration today. 

Previously I was employed in Thailand for 19 years and that Immigration office wasn't requesting the same things. 

Edited by scoutman360
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

They wanted a copy of the Deed to the condo

This requirement only concerns a Condominium, as a renter or owner?

If you rent an apartment - which is not a Condominium, just one of several units all owned by one Thai person (landlord) then there is no Deed, correct?

What is the Thai word for this Deed? Ao. Sor 2?

I've never seen this requirement, just the Blue Book, Owners ID card, and rental contract.

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

If you rent an apartment - which is not a Condominium, just one of several units all owned by one Thai person (landlord) then there is no Deed

Of course, there is a deed. But it is the deed for the whole building and the office staff, with whom you sign the contract,  probably doesn't have it.

Deed = Chanote

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

Of course, there is a deed.

I meant there is no "deed" for the single apartment.

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

Deed = Chanote

OK, thanks.

I've just never seen the word "Deed" used here, whereas "Chanote" is well understood.

• Thumbs Up 1

the one tiny gripe i have on the appts process is you have to queue in front of that first cubicle.  it seems a bit awkward, i wasn't sure the IO wanted me standing there.  plus the one time i did it another person was already standing there, but the IO eventually pointed to me, so i looked over at the other person, they didn't say anything. so i went ahead and 'cut in line'.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

the one tiny gripe i have on the appts process is you have to queue in front of that first cubicle.  it seems a bit awkward, i wasn't sure the IO wanted me standing there.  plus the one time i did it another person was already standing there, but the IO eventually pointed to me, so i looked over at the other person, they didn't say anything. so i went ahead and 'cut in line'.  

That is the Document Check cubicle (Counter #27). It was very confusing to see people gathered around the opening, and at the same time, that counter was calling Que numbers onto the LED screen for people who were not standing there. 

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So if you're there for a retirement extension and have an appointment, do you still need to stop at the very front entryway counter to get a queue ticket?

Or, just go straight to the document check cubicle with your appointment paper, and then onward to the appointments cubicle???

As DrJack said, no need to get a Que number. In theory, you were already assigned a Que number when you did the online booking. Go straight to the cubical. 

I recently did an online booking for a re-entry permit in C section and my online Que number came up on the screen. Apparently, the L1 section for extensions doesn't work that way. You have to push your way in front of people with Que numbers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Apparently, the L1 section for extensions doesn't work that way. You have to push your way in front of people with Que numbers.

Indeed ...it's not most efficient system..Some folk  with appointment thinking they will be called. Not the case.

Best to hover at appointment desk with hard copy of your appointment email and present when io has gap

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/25/2024 at 2:38 PM, scoutman360 said:

Hope this helps someone. This was my first attempt at a retirement extension for a Non-O Retirement Visa (90 days). I will focus on the visit and my rookie mistakes, and not as much on the requirements since that is covered very much elsewhere.

The Appointment –

I booked the appointment from the Immigration website about 1 month in advance. Immigration releases appointment dates a few at a time, so you need to check the system regularly and book well in advance.

Rookie Mistakes:

(a)    Not checking daily for new available time slots.

(b)    Thinking the system is down. The reality is, the booking system is turned off weekends and holidays.

(c)     From a PC, the calendar displays only 1 month at a time. But there is a tiny scroll bar, easy to miss, to display the next month. Additional dates could have been opened for the next month already and you missed them.

The Immigration Visit –

My appointment was for 1pm, L1 section, which handles extension of stays. I arrived 1 hour early, but the office was closed for lunch between 12pm-1pm. Once the doors opened, I was first through the doors and should have been 1st in line with my 1pm appointment and Que number already assigned. But….

My Que number never got called. I kept watch on the “Document Checking” counter #27, and my “Report to Counter #35” as was written on my reservation printout. After waiting 40 minutes, I jumped between people at the Document Check desk and asked for help. She kindly checked my docs, everything was fine, and then told me I was late and sent me over to Counter #35. Again, my Que number never called. Again, I jumped between people and the kind officers helped me and told me I was late. What the????

Rookie Mistakes:

Perhaps some experienced members here can explain what went wrong? I was right on time. My number never got called on the board. My only guess is that, maybe, Counter #27 may have called my number before lunch closure (before I arrived). And that prevented my number from getting called at Counter #35. If anyone know how this works, please chime in.

Documents –

I created a checklist using input from others on this forum. As of today, it is accurate and correct for Chaengwattana office. Using “money in bank” method, 6-month bank statement was fine because the original Non-O VISA was only good for 90 days. (next year I will need to provide a 12-month statement). TM47 (90-day report) not asked for because I just re-entered the country last week.

Non-O Extension Checklist for CW.pdf 138.7 kB · 22 downloads

That is all. I got the 12-month extension stamp and sent on my way.

Thanks for the report! That will be helpful. I will save it for when it is time for myself.

for J section TR extension, my number came up on the digital board , the IO said it will only appear exactly at the appt time, never before.

I got a cue ticket anyway, didn't know they now have the little counter by the booths, but my appt came up before the cue ticket.  Previous years that 1st counter would check the docs, before giving the cue ticket, seems they now give the cue tickets, no matter the state of your docs prepped.

Also, no one tells you its required to have the docs checked, mine were of an old form , had to fill out 3 new ones while at the IO desk

On 6/26/2024 at 1:16 AM, Lorry said:

Right. In my case, I believe the request for the deed was due to the fact that the actual owner was not in the "blue book" .

Hence the request for a deed to verify the owner issuing the lease.

4 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

so a 1 year lease is required? or what are the rules on that?  I'm intending to be gone and maybe return to another unit on the property or even another building

I don't think there are any rules. 

I used to show them a lease agreement from 2009 that was a 1- year lease.  It had about 10 pages and on page 1 or 2 it stated that the lease would terminate 2010. I used it at CW year after year.  Ir didn't even occur to me that this was a bit weird. 

Neither me nor my landlord bothered to set up a new lease agreement,  i just continued to live there. 

IO never saw a problem, either. 

TIT not Singapore or Switzerland, which is good.