What city in Thailand has the best weather?

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/26/2024 at 6:34 AM, Hummin said:

West coast is great most seasons, but heavy rain season

I was in Phuket 2 yrs ago and it rained non stop.Jan and Feb . So hot and humid and wet. Daytime mainly dry and come late afternoon the sky turned black and a soaking. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

I was in Phuket 2 yrs ago and it rained non stop.Jan and Feb . So hot and humid and wet. Daytime mainly dry and come late afternoon the sky turned black and a soaking. 

At least clean and refreshes the air.  

• Agree 1

On 6/27/2024 at 5:34 PM, Captor said:

Were do you live exactly if I may ask? I am looking into Hua Hin but have not decided yet and are looking into other options as well.

I lived over 2 years in Hua Hin about 13Years ago. It was much better than Phuket weather wise. Cooler, often a nice breeze . My pool was often cold ! I moved because I got bored, not enough to do. Not enough shops. 

Apparently it’s much better now with more Malls and shop choice. 
Now staying in Jomtien which isn’t too bad weather wise. I stay from Nov to March, longstayer or snowbirds as we are called.

• Thanks 1

You could always move up to the mountain areas in Chiang Rai, much cooler temperatures. Some people would enjoy that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Chiang Mai + Mae Hong Son till just before the burning season...postively chilly over December/January. There is euro forestry at the cloud line in the surrounding mountains.

Edited by freedomnow

On 7/23/2024 at 5:58 PM, geisha said:

I lived over 2 years in Hua Hin about 13Years ago. It was much better than Phuket weather wise. Cooler, often a nice breeze . My pool was often cold ! I moved because I got bored, not enough to do. Not enough shops. 

Now staying in Jomtien which isn’t too bad weather wise. I stay from Nov to March, longstayer or snowbirds as we are called.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not being here for some days. Nice input and very valuable for me as I am trying out to find where to settle down. Hua Hin is a strong option for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:58 PM, geisha said:

I second that. I spent two weeks in Hua Hin at the Hilton. Nice hotel but it was the most boring time in Thailand I ever had. 

On 7/13/2024 at 4:20 AM, The Fugitive said:

Odd how Government hospitals are provided/located. Population is an obvious factor but there must be other considerations too? Our local community hospital has been inadequate for years, patients in beds along both sides of corridors being the norm. A sizeable extension was completed last year and another is now in progress. In the next larger town it wasn't possible to extend the hospital due to it's town centre location. Another, much larger hospital was built, out of town. The original hospital has been retained, with each having 24 hour A/E departments.    

Where is that?

• 2 months later...

I noticed the commentary around the medical care in Prachuap Khiri Khan (where my Thai wife and I moved around 2 months ago) (previously having been in Phitsanulok Province).  I had reason to visit the PKK Public Hospital today, and I have to say that I was quite impressed. Gleamingly clean, snazzy MRI scanner, with new patient-processing technology (obviously installed very recently) which makes the process of registration/ appointment confirmation/ payment/ prescription collection - extremely efficient (bar code readers for everything - automatically streaming/associating your details with each step of your visit).  The original blood pressure & height measurement bar codes do seem to have some issues for non-Thai ID Card users - but other than that - everything worked extremely smoothly. Previously - we had been users of Naresuan University Hospital in Phitsanulok.  Usually - University/Medical School Hospitals are at the cutting edge of new technology, etc.  However - PKK Public Hospital (at least at this point in time) leaves Naresuan University Hospital (process-wise, at least) in the rear vision mirror.  If a first-time visitor to PKK Public Hospital - the trick is to go exceptionally early for registration.  Registration opens at 5am.  If you are there around 6am - you get a queue number that means that you are well ahead of the ever-growing pack as the morning grinds on.  The entire process is lengthy - count on being there from 6am through 2pm.  Why not use Bangkok Hospital, I hear you say?  Well - firstly, you pay a 50 Baht doctor's fee at PKK Public Hospital (as opposed to around 600+ baht for the likes of Bangkok Hospital).  If you are supporting several people in the family - this soon adds up. Then (and much more importantly if (for example) you have a partner or parents-in-law who are suffering from expensive-to-control diseases like diabetes) - prescription charges are a fraction of what Bangkok Hospital charges (depending upon the nature of the medication/s, costs can be around 20% of what you might otherwise pay).  Even with the PKK Public Hospital prescription cost savings - these costs can amount to ten/s of thousands of Baht/patient/year.  Everything is a tradeoff - yes - you will often be out of a Bangkok Hospital/ other International Hospital within 2 hours for a run-of-the-mill medical complaint - versus up to 8 hours for PKK Public Hospital (or any Thai Public Hospital, for that matter) (the sheer number of patients makes the whole process slower/ less responsive).  Take a power bank & an iPad.  Watch a movie.  Without doubt - use of the English language is much better at Bangkok Hospital/ other International Private Hospitals.  But, having said that - PKK Public Hospital has very helpful bilingual signage everywhere (and very friendly/ helpful/ professional staff) - and if you have a Thai partner alongside you - language is not really such a significant issue.  Useful tips:  (1) prescription collection announcements are made using the patient's name (not your Queue Number) - dialect issues (and noise) can make these announcements tricky to pick up; and (2) PKK Public Hospital does not accept PromptPay.  Take cash.  There is a (single) ATM on the street outside the hospital.  If that fails (as it did today) - Kasikorn Bank has (multiple) ATMs about a 5-10 minute walk away on the same street.  For more complex medical matters - you may opt to travel to Hua Hin or Bangkok.  For what its worth - as I mentioned - I was pretty pleasantly surprised today.  No hesitation to return.

Edited by SupermaNZ
Grammar