What is the best way to invest money in Thailand?

21 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

I'm looking to invest money in Thailand and wondering what the best options are. Any advice on real estate, stocks, or other investment opportunities that have worked well for you?

Yes, not investing in Thailand have worked best for me! 

Thai marked is to unpredictable, and it is more luck than actually knowing what is an good investment or not for average Joe. As an investor, you must be willing to risk your investment, 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, MichaelJackson said:

I'm looking to invest money in Thailand and wondering what the best options are. Any advice on real estate, stocks, or other investment opportunities that have worked well for you?

The best investment in Thailand has always been no investment in Thailand.  Rent, and pay as you.  It's been a proven money maker over decades, and may save your life. 

RE has worked out very nicely for us, but you need a trusted, like minded, intelligent Thai  for that.  Along with lots of your own previous experience to be successful.   Not recommended for the novice.

Best to simply live here, if that's one's choice, and keep you investment elsewhere and do what you know best, and works there.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, MichaelJackson said:

On 6/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, MichaelJackson said:

BTL worked for us in a Moo Bahn popular with  Thais and foreigners alike Avoid a mortgage so your name can be on a usufruct. Also consider govt. savings bonds but these in your wife’s name. And don’t forget to insist on your wife writing a will with you as main benefactor. Also consider opening a shop selling products like vinyl and hi Fi gear. Not a coffee shop but maybe a tea room in the right location during the daylight hours and a wine shop in the evenings. Good luck.

Unless you are Thai or are somehow getting money in THB I'm not sure why you'd invest in Thailand.  I have almost nothing here, other than some domestic appliances and payment of 50% of the price of a car (which is actually in my wife's name).  My wife owns quite a bit of land and property, including a couple of condos which are rented out. She also owns two small businesses that are run by family.  It all seems to be profitable, but the profits are small.  In the UK she owns 50% of a small hotel/restaurant business and that is very profitable - the return dwarfs what she gets from her Thai enterprises.

I am interested in buying property for my 2 Thai sons. Not condos. I was previously thinking of a house or townhouse each, maybe to make a restaurant downstairs, then can rent the whole lot out.

But now I'm looking at buying a dormitory near a university for them. With a house or condo the tenants may leave and it's empty for a few months generating zero. Dormitories provide a much more reliable source of income, it's not likely that all 30 or 40 tenants are suddenly going to leave at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jarse said:

BTL worked for us in a Moo Bahn popular with  Thais and foreigners alike Avoid a mortgage so your name can be on a usufruct. 

can you please explain how BTL works? what kind of garantee do you have?

i am not sure, are we takling about  "jam nuang" or "khaai-faak", done be the landoffice?

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

i am not sure, are we takling about  "jam nuang" or "khaai-faak", done be the landoffice?

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

BTL only works when a Thai buys and then registers in their name . The chanot can then be endorsed with you as usufructee but you can’t have a mortgage as bank needs to hold the title deed and they don’t allow any other interested party apart from the Thai owner. Non Thais can’t do this so you must gamble on a long and healthy marriage.

• Thanks 1