I just spied my first glowworm of this year, 2024. Makes me happy as a kid. You?

GammaGlobulin

Hi Folks,

I think it matters not how old or young one might be.

Each and every year, the first time I spy a firefly, it reminds me that good things will happen this year, and that....

They already have.

Children marvel at lightning bugs.

Even old guys love them, too.

When we are young, we collect them in glass jars.

But, not sure if one were to collect enough of them...that....one could make...

Firefly Marmalade out of them...which...might...

Glow yellowish-green on one's toast in the evenings.

I just wanted to report my first firefly of 2024, here in CM.

And, no matter what, just seeing one lends positive excitement to the air, I think.

Seeing a firefly also reminds us of our very young years, the first time we saw one....and....

Can you remember THAT?

Or, are you now just too old, jaded, and decrepit?

Hopefully, some of us, though not ALL of us, will live to see our first firefly.....

Next year....

But, of course, this is not guaranteed.

Regards,

Gamma

Note: So, learn to appreciate these small miracles...while ye may. No matter what our age, this year could be our last.

Note2:  I just hope these words are not prescient, or nothing.....

Note3:  Sometimes though, each year, when I spy my first firefly, I am reminded of the film.... REPO MAN....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks,

I think it matters not how old or young one might be.

Each and every year, the first time I spy a firefly, it reminds me that good things will happen this year, and that....

They already have.

Children marvel at lightning bugs.

Even old guys love them, too.

When we are young, we collect them in glass jars.

But, not sure if one were to collect enough of them...that....one could make...

Firefly Marmalade out of them...which...might...

Glow yellowish-green on one's toast in the evenings.

I just wanted to report my first firefly of 2024, here in CM.

And, no matter what, just seeing one lends positive excitement to the air, I think.

Seeing a firefly also reminds us of our very young years, the first time we saw one....and....

Can you remember THAT?

Or, are you now just too old, jaded, and decrepit?

Hopefully, some of us, though not ALL of us, will live to see our first firefly.....

Next year....

But, of course, this is not guaranteed.

Regards,

Gamma

Note: So, learn to appreciate these small miracles...while ye may. No matter what our age, this year could be our last.

Note2:  I just hope these words are not prescient, or nothing.....

Note3:  Sometimes though, each year, when I spy my first firefly, I am reminded of the film.... REPO MAN....

Ha, when I sit out there in the dark, I enjoy hundreds of glowworms in our ground.

How happy should I be???

i see fire flys here in hua hin - they sometimes manage to get into the house at night, which is cool 🙂

not sure about glow worms tho - what are they?

i once saw the fluorescent plankton type stuff in the surf on chaweng beach - that was amazing!!  

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I love to see the fireflies too. Normally they appear following the true onset of the wet. I haven't seen any this year yet. It is still too dry in my part of Thailand (Isan). Maybe in a few weeks if the rain continues

Fireflies are fascinating to watch , an amazing sight that scientists are studying and not sure of the way they work . BTW I am also in Issan and have not seen any fireflies this year , despite the rains but have seen many termite butterflies after the rain has stopped .  Have to turn off the house lights because somehow they will find a way in .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKJASE said:

the fluorescent plankton type stuff in the surf on chaweng beach - that was amazing!!  

Many years ago now whilst a summer night sailing in the English Channel from The Solent to Plymouth with calm sea, sailing downwind on a gentle steady breeze, clear sky, stars in abundance. Silence apart from the whisper of the sea against the hull. That was joyous enough. Just me on the wheel and a  crew member on watch in the cockpit. He quietly said look behind you. What I saw was magical, our wake streaming behind us filled with phosphoresence. We looked over the sides and so was our bow wave.  A very special few hours until it all faded with a pre dawn drop in the wind and then the sun rose slowly behind us for a beautiful day.

1 minute ago, superal said:

Fireflies are fascinating to watch , an amazing sight that scientists are studying and not sure of the way they work . BTW I am also in Issan and have not seen any fireflies this year , despite the rains but have seen many termite butterflies after the rain has stopped .  Have to turn off the house lights because somehow they will find a way in .

Those things are an utter nightmare. Round this way between 7 pm and 8.30ish at this season here. Most damp evenings they come in their thousands attracted by our lights. Can't have a beer on the terrace and we must shut up tight inside or they are in and everywhere. After a short time they shed their gossamer wings and turn in to little black crawlers or just die. Sweeping up in the morning is another nightmare, the crawlers are gone but their wings lie everywhere floating up at the slightest turbulence. Hate them almost as much as the house geckos which are around all year pooping, always in the same corners and places, one always directly in front of our bathroom door another just outside our front door on to the terrace

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I clicked on this thinking, “Wtf is this guy doing vabbling about nothing of importance”. 
About halfway through, I was smiling and thinking how great it is that you appreciate the small wonders of life.  Taking time to smell the roses. Unfortunately, today’s society and especially in the younger generation, people are addicted to staring at their phones looking at pictures of such things along with a ton of nonsense.  

If my wife and I go out for a nice dinner, I am pretty sure she loses her sense of smell and restricts me from touching the food, until she take 20 photos of it. Then she loses her sense of taste reviewing which photos are the best and posting them on FB or whatever as she is eating without even appreciating the smell and taste of the food.  
Thank you for reminding us to appreciate the little things in life. I feel uplifted and inspired after reading your post about bugs, of all things!   Kudos!