I replaced my glasses with contact lens - now blurry vision

Prior to Lasik surgery some 20 years ago, I wore glasses and then contact lenses for almost 40 years to correct my short-sightedness - I'm well-used to hard, gas-permeable, soft etc contact lenses.

Due to my age (eye muscles getting weaker), I am now moderately short-sighted again, about -2.5 and wear reading glasses.  But I also have an issue with far-vision, and have driving glasses to enable me to drive without causing road accidents.  So I switch between wearing reading glasses and driving glasses.

I wanted to simplify this situation by replacing my reading glasses with a contact lens in my non-dominant eye, (ie monovision).  I understand that my brain will 'sort out' the resulting images and provide me with clear vision for both reading and driving.

So I purchased soft contact lenses with the same prescription as my glasses (-2.5).  I only used one lens and placed that in my right (non-dominant) eye.  The results were blurry and have remained blurry.

I'm not sure that my brain is 'getting the message' about monovision!!  I do read that if the prescription is less than -3.5, then one can use the same prescription of your glasses for the contact lens.

Should I keep wearing the single 'reading' contact lens and hope that my brain will eventually sort things out?  Advice requested 🙂

Edited by simon43

Yes, what  is your vision like in the eye with the contact lens by itself? (Blocking the other eye).

There can be  more to contact lens prescriptions than just the strength. Better to get it prescribed by a doctor.

Also I am confused with the glasses prescription you copied, it seems to have been the glasses for far vision not your reading glasses,  reading glass prresecriptions are always +. 

See an opthalmologist to get optimal contact prescription.

The prescription for contact lenses is rarely the same as that for spectacles. You do need to have an eye test to establish the correct lenses for your vision.

• Agree 1