Why are so many foreigners residing in Thailand problematic types?

123Stodg

This guy's accidentally-on-purpose (wink, wink, whoops, my bad) bringing ladyboys back to his hotel room and has the nerve to post this likely AI-generated sanctimonious, drivel? I'm 100% in favor of cultural respect, and if you look at my posting history you'll see I take every opportunity to promote cultural understanding and respect.

So tell us, OP, how does whore mongering and sexually exploiting upcountry village girls fit in to your culturally sensitive itinerary, presumably otherwise filled with private temple tours, Thai language, fruit carving and cooking classes and eco tourism jungle treks?

I'm picturing you as a two week holiday millionaire who arrived with a brand new wardrobe replete with Tommy Bahama shirts, Versace shorts, Ferragamo sandals, and three bottles of high-end cologne who thinks that makes him superior to every other foreigner. Jeez.

My revised diagnosis: Adonis syndrome.

Edited by Gecko123

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You forgot PI and Cambodia who welcome nearly everyone at a much cheaper entrance fee than Thailand.

Vietnam nearly as easy as long as you marry a local, father a child or pretend to run a business.

Cambodia 1980's had rotting corpses emerging from the ground. No sane tourist went there for a jolly good time. 

I don't count PI as it was effectively a US colony with active military bases at that time. Even then it was a political basketcase with the wild Marcos excesses. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

American forum members. There's a fascinating book called The Imperial Cruise by James Bradley that explains a lot of the USA's history in relation to PI and Japan in particular. Well worth a read. 

Netflix users - search for the subtitled movie "1898: Our last men in the Philippines." A true story. 

Irish & Brits - search for The Siege of Jadot. Not connected to SE Asia but an exemplar of the type of lunatics running around the Third World at that time. 

Everyone - subtitled Moroccan movie called Much Loved that deals with sex tourism. Excellent movie. 

50 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Bald heads are sexy, 

Yea, Thai women always ovulate at the sight of a monkish head. It's a well known fact. 

Jeez. 

Reminds me of a nutter that used to post here. 

"I asked my Thai wife and she says bald heads are sexy." 

"What did you expect her to say? She might not be educated but she ain't stupid" came the sage reply. 

Some folk are so dumb it's beyond belief. 

7 minutes ago, theblether said:

Yea, Thai women always ovulate at the sight of a monkish head. It's a well known fact. 

Jeez. 

Reminds me of a nutter that used to post here. 

"I asked my Thai wife and she says bald heads are sexy." 

"What did you expect her to say? She might not be educated but she ain't stupid" came the sage reply. 

Some folk are so dumb it's beyond belief. 

dumb or not, it is more about trends and whats trendy for time being. 

Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel and Jason Staham  and a few more keeps the myths alive as we speaking. We are all different and have different appearance, and it is just a mattor of how well you carry yourself and have to ability to present yourself in a positive way not matter bald, body shape or not. 

There is some attributes I find sexy on women, that others doent. I like a woman who is 163cm and 55 - 63 kg. Personally I  find them more attractive than same height and less than 50kg. I like darker asian skin than more whitish asian skin, others might dissagree

Thanks for the responses. It's clear that many of us are fed up with the behavior of some foreigners in Thailand, and the frustration is very real.

It’s not surprising that Thailand’s cheap cost of living, enjoyable scenery, and more relaxed legal environment attract a variety of characters. It’s infuriating to see some foreigners act like they can do whatever they want without facing any consequences. These individuals are making life harder for those of us who respect local customs and laws.

The idea of criminal background checks for long-term residents makes a lot of sense. It would help keep some of the worst offenders out. It’s frustrating though knowing that despite good ideas, we’re pretty much powerless to make them happen. We can only hope the authorities see the same issues and eventually decide to act.

Cultural integration, or the lack thereof, is another major issue. Watching some expats completely disregard local customs is maddening. It wouldn't hurt for them to show a bit of respect and try to fit in. Learning some basic manners and not acting like they own the place should be a minimum requirement for anyone wanting to live here.

Comments about banning tattoos, man buns, and loud behavior might seem extreme or humorous, but they reflect real frustrations. These visible traits can contribute to the negative image of foreigners. While it would be impossible to enforce such bans, it underscores the need for better behavior among expats.

Public intoxication and disrespectful behavior are disgraceful. It’s beyond annoying to see some foreigners acting like drunken fools and treating locals poorly. Stricter rules would help, but meanwhile we're left watching and dealing with the fallout from these idiots.

The economic impact is another point of contention. Some expats try to live as cheaply as possible, contributing little to the local economy while taking advantage of the low cost of living. This behavior is not only disrespectful but also unsustainable. It’s frustrating to see people who could be contributing positively instead behaving selfishly.

There’s also the negative impact on local communities. Some expats don’t bother to learn the language or engage with locals, creating isolated enclaves. This segregation only deepens the divide between us and the local population, breeding resentment and misunderstanding. It’s a slap in the face to the idea of cultural exchange and mutual respect.

The environmental footprint of some expats is another issue. It’s infuriating to see people littering and polluting without a second thought. This behavior not only harms the environment we all enjoy but also shows a blatant disregard for the country that’s hosting us.

Seems we recognize some of the same issues and share the same frustrations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, 123Stodg said:

Thanks for the responses. It's clear that many of us are fed up with the behavior of some foreigners in Thailand, and the frustration is very real.

It’s not surprising that Thailand’s cheap cost of living, enjoyable scenery, and more relaxed legal environment attract a variety of characters. It’s infuriating to see some foreigners act like they can do whatever they want without facing any consequences. These individuals are making life harder for those of us who respect local customs and laws.

The idea of criminal background checks for long-term residents makes a lot of sense. It would help keep some of the worst offenders out. It’s frustrating though knowing that despite good ideas, we’re pretty much powerless to make them happen. We can only hope the authorities see the same issues and eventually decide to act.

Cultural integration, or the lack thereof, is another major issue. Watching some expats completely disregard local customs is maddening. It wouldn't hurt for them to show a bit of respect and try to fit in. Learning some basic manners and not acting like they own the place should be a minimum requirement for anyone wanting to live here.

Comments about banning tattoos, man buns, and loud behavior might seem extreme or humorous, but they reflect real frustrations. These visible traits can contribute to the negative image of foreigners. While it would be impossible to enforce such bans, it underscores the need for better behavior among expats.

Public intoxication and disrespectful behavior are disgraceful. It’s beyond annoying to see some foreigners acting like drunken fools and treating locals poorly. Stricter rules would help, but meanwhile we're left watching and dealing with the fallout from these idiots.

The economic impact is another point of contention. Some expats try to live as cheaply as possible, contributing little to the local economy while taking advantage of the low cost of living. This behavior is not only disrespectful but also unsustainable. It’s frustrating to see people who could be contributing positively instead behaving selfishly.

There’s also the negative impact on local communities. Some expats don’t bother to learn the language or engage with locals, creating isolated enclaves. This segregation only deepens the divide between us and the local population, breeding resentment and misunderstanding. It’s a slap in the face to the idea of cultural exchange and mutual respect.

The environmental footprint of some expats is another issue. It’s infuriating to see people littering and polluting without a second thought. This behavior not only harms the environment we all enjoy but also shows a blatant disregard for the country that’s hosting us.

Seems we recognize some of the same issues and share the same frustrations.

You'll get what you want soon

Mandatory worldwide tax reporting 

Mandatory health insurance 

inflated financial qualification for visas

Reduced visa categories

Speed cameras everywhere with mandatory bans 

Police harassing people with home visits to ensure visa compliance 

Sidewalk checkpoints demanding your ID, fines for not carrying

You'll get it all. And you'll weep for the Thailand we lost. 

Edited by theblether
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

dumb or not, it is more about trends and whats trendy for time being. 

Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel and Jason Staham  and a few more keeps the myths alive as we speaking. We are all different and have different appearance, and it is just a mattor of how well you carry yourself and have to ability to present yourself in a positive way not matter bald, body shape or not. 

There is some attributes I find sexy on women, that others doent. I like a woman who is 163cm and 55 - 63 kg. Personally I  find them more attractive than same height and less than 50kg. I like darker asian skin than more whitish asian skin, others might dissagree

Don't take it personal. I couldn't care less about bald heads. Much preferable to wigs and combovers IMO. 

Just don't kid yourself Thai women think it's sexy. 

In case you don't know, shaving your head in Buddhism is associated with celibacy - the polar opposite of sexy. 

The notion that Thai women find bald heads sexy is ridiculous. 

The whole point of shaving your head as a monk, or "nun" is to renunciate fashion and sexuality. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for the badly behaved foreigners, stay away from that famous family resort known as Pattaya and you'll never meet any of them.

I would encourage all foreigners to go to Pattaya and Bkk and don’t go anywhere else.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for the badly behaved foreigners, stay away from that famous family resort known as Pattaya and you'll never meet any of them.

Plenty in Bangkok too. Heaps in Phuket and Samui. Some in Hua Hin. Probably a few around the bars in CM as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theblether said:

Many of the people who post political content on this forum have shallow lives. 

No sane person travels half-way round the world to troll themselves arguing with zealots. 

I get it, something newsworthy happens ( such as Bidens debate performance this week) its only normal to jump online and join the resulting fray. 

But the zealots are mentally ill. I saw someone post 80 plus times on that topic. And we have a few notorious hissy fitting mentally ill zealots on this forum. 

So don't engage with the mentally ill. And regard the activist types you mention as cuckoo's nest contenders. 

"Pack our bags, Dorothy, we're retiring to Thailand." 

"Why sweetie?" 

"I want to spend the rest of my life getting angry at people that I don't know over issues I can't control." 

"Okay, sweetie, here's your medication." 

Well said - great summary of their lives.

All the posts saying "Well, I live in Nakorn Nowhere and I haven't seen any of these types" gives me a good giggle. As if people are totally oblivious to the foreign lager louts and troublemakers in Thailand just because they live in East Burifoonk seems pretentiously naïve. All you have to do is read some of the "news" posts on this site, which I am sure they do, and there the baddies all are with photos, pointing fingers, and red circles and arrows right in front of you. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Plenty in Bangkok too. Heaps in Phuket and Samui. Some in Hua Hin. Probably a few around the bars in CM as well. 

As there are so many foreigners here... Do you think there are a disproportionally high number of 'bad' foreigners getting up to no good in comparison to the number of Thai's getting up to 'no good' ??

i.e. how many foreigners in Thailand per 100,000 are 'bad guys'... compared to 100,000 per population of Thai's ?

The idea here is that, is the degree of apathy within law enforcement that enables such behavior?

------

I've mentioned it before - that Thailand attracts a 'different type of expat' compared to places such as Singapore and Dubai etc...  Socio-economics and education certainly come it play - but so does the country itself, people don't go to Singapore or Dubai to retire or to live without having a solid position (work) lined up and the police forces and penalties for poor behaviour in these locations are somewhat draconian - a strong deterent.

Thus - in comparison to places such as Spain for Brits and South America (i.e  Panama) for US folk, does Thailand really attract a more 'poorly behaved folk'...  ?

Is it just a facet of being overseas in a less lawful environment that attracts those seeing greater freedom from the restraints of a more governed society and that would occur anywhere where the police forces are known to be apathetic and corrupt ?... 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you think there are a disproportionally high number of 'bad' foreigners getting up to no good in comparison to the number of Thai's getting up to 'no good' ??

That isn't the point, is it. The topic is about foreigners who come here and misbehave. Locals is a completely separate issue. And you can make your same statement about locals in many countries. 

I've never seen any foreign riffraff in Spain. But I don't ever go to any of the expat retiree beach towns when I'm there. I've also not seen many in other parts of Asia outside of SE Asia like Japan.

As you said, Thailand draws a particular type because of socio-economics, the nightlife/girls, the beaches, lax visa policies, graft/corruption, availability of cheap alcohol and drugs, but it's also a place where fugitives seem to be able to find safe sanctuary. And it's been like this for over 50 years since at least the seventies. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, theblether said:

Don't take it personal. I couldn't care less about bald heads. Much preferable to wigs and combovers IMO. 

Just don't kid yourself Thai women think it's sexy. 

Just ont take everything seriously you read here. Having hair doesn't make you sexy, and do not take it personally. 

Read what I wrote in my reply.

Being sexy have nothing to with hair if you got every other check in the box

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've noticed a larger than normal number of men with wigs on Buakhao, you'd think they wouldn't bother as there's no need plus it looks ridiculous and easy to spot

I'm sure you know this already, but Pattaya draws in a large contingency of a certain type of middle-aged, macho-type character. So the fact that they have big egos, and equally as big insecurities, answers the question as to why they bother.  

• Thumbs Up 1