Eye surgery for presbyopia....otherwise known as "Old Bloke Eyes"

bamboozled

7 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Similarly I have been diagnosed with Macular degeneration in one eye. There is a treatment whereby the affected eye is injected. It's not a cure. It just retards the progress. Just yesterday the doctor that carries out this procedure said "You are ninety. I would not let my mother undergo the treatment. One small infection during the procedure and you could go blind." Needless to say I heeded his advice and will learn to live with it. All part of the aging problem. Old age? I'm not looking forward to it.😉

I second that!

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For contact lens prescription usually need an opthalmologist.

Once you have prescription, can buy ftom optician.

Yes cataracts are pretty much a given as you age. Happens sooner in some, later in others. If you're over 60, good chance you already have at least early cataracts.  Only need surgery when they reach the point that vision impairment affects daily life. If you live long enough, that time will come. 

Looks like I'll be making an appointment with the ophthalmologist. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Wonderyenta said:

Sheryl’s advice is excellent… correct one eye with a contact lens and leave the other eye without any correction. I’m a Dispensing Optician and that’s exactly how I’d do it too. Presbyopia is totally normal and generally starts around 45 -50 years old. It’s generally noticed when you have to hold an object away from you in order to focus. It will increase as time goes on, that’s the main reason why surgery at this early stage may not be a good idea. By using the mono vision contact lens idea, you get pretty much the same result as surgery. Some people’s brains don’t manage the change, not often, but it can be a problem. 
Do your Optom will prescribe a mono vision contact lens for you, a daily disposable lens may be useful as there’s no cleaning, solutions etc needed. 

This will be my first step, indeed! I do have the 20 baht cheaters everywhere. I just can't get used to, or haven't yet got used to, having to need something that is not part of my body to get through daily life.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

Compromise with the problem of presbyopia and don't go for expensive surgeries.
An ophthalmologist can examine your eyes and he will  prescribe you, increasing the focal lenses in your eyeglasses.

LASIK surgery is performed with a laser programmed to remove a defined amount of tissue from a part of your eye called the cornea.

Actually it "destroy" the surplus vision in one of your eyes in order to be coordinated with the other eye for clear vision.

So first step go to ophthalmologist (in Greece is free  in shops) and according to his/her prescription you can order higher presbyopia quality eyeglasses.

The problem of presbyopia -myopia -astygmatism exist and lasik laser is not a magic bullet.

Thank you. I am going to try the contact lens method first!

35 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I guess I have been caught off guard that my eyes have become such an issue. I always had good vision and for some reason didn't expect this to happen until later in life.

Thanks again!

Ain't getting older great....happens to everyone.

https://www.essilor.com/sas-en/blog/your-life-and-your-eyes/what-to-do-if-your-eyesight-is-getting-worse/

Getting older 

As you get older, particularly around the age of 40-50, your eyesight ability may decline for close-up tasks such as reading. This is because the crystalline lens in your eye becomes less flexible, which makes it harder to focus on close-up objects. This is known as presbyopia and will affect all of us at some stage in our lives.

This can be surprising to some, especially if you have never experienced vision problems before. However, it is very easy to correct simply by wearing the right lenses.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to throw my thoughts in, but I shall.  I had lens replacement done in both eyes in Chiang Mai during the middle of the pandemic.  I've been shortsighted and worn complex glasses all my life, and yes, I was presbyopic from the age of 45.  The surgeon asked if I wanted everything sorted out and I said yes please.  I hadn't got macular degeneration, glaucoma or anything else and on purpose I hadn't had any Lasik or other treatment previously as I was sure that one day something would come along that would sort it all out.  With the lens replacement came "Limbal relaxing" and other mysterious procedures that corrected the astigmatism too, all under the heading of "supersight surgery".  I am now 74, can read newspapers and the mobile phone without glasses and see in the distance clearly in both eyes.  I can read the 7th line down on the eye chart and am delighted and glasses free.  Mind you, I paid for the surgery and aftercare and I now think that it was the best thing I ever did.  Yes, recent developments mean that you can now get contact lenses with the same technology that allow you to read and see in the distance.  Money talks.  But IOL is the way to go and end all the bother of spectacles for ever, plus it is then impossible to get cataracts once it's been done.  Fixed IOLs?  Bunkum!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

I wasn't going to throw my thoughts in, but I shall.  I had lens replacement done in both eyes in Chiang Mai during the middle of the pandemic.  I've been shortsighted and worn complex glasses all my life, and yes, I was presbyopic from the age of 45.  The surgeon asked if I wanted everything sorted out and I said yes please.  I hadn't got macular degeneration, glaucoma or anything else and on purpose I hadn't had any Lasik or other treatment previously as I was sure that one day something would come along that would sort it all out.  With the lens replacement came "Limbal relaxing" and other mysterious procedures that corrected the astigmatism too, all under the heading of "supersight surgery".  I am now 74, can read newspapers and the mobile phone without glasses and see in the distance clearly in both eyes.  I can read the 7th line down on the eye chart and am delighted and glasses free.  Mind you, I paid for the surgery and aftercare and I now think that it was the best thing I ever did.  Yes, recent developments mean that you can now get contact lenses with the same technology that allow you to read and see in the distance.  Money talks.  But IOL is the way to go and end all the bother of spectacles for ever, plus it is then impossible to get cataracts once it's been done.  Fixed IOLs?  Bunkum!

I'm so glad you did throw in. Much appreciated and your input along with Pib's (and everyone's!) is very positive and encouraging.