Is the Hangover II the Thai version of Borat bringing shame to the country?

Mekmong MICK

9 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Yes this what really set the missus off; she was getting all agro "don't they know phuket is hundreds of kilometres away? It would takes days to get it plus there are hundreds of islands you would get lost in and couldn't find it without gps".

I've never met a woman who talked like Magellan's navigator but you hear all kinds of farfetched things from people in Thailand.  

As for Kazakstan's opinion on anything, who values the opinion of a country which such inferior potassium and I fart in their general direction.  Oops, wrong movie.  

10 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

The missus wanted a movie night last night so I suggested we watch the Hangover II due to it being set in Thailand (my girlfriend is a local). Well, didn't this suggestion go down like a lead balloon. 

She went on to say how Thai people are ashamed at how their country is portrayed and it makes them look to be an impoverished sex-riddled land of no laws and corruption. It doesn't portray the joyful sensitive side of Thailand and the land of a million smiles. She also said it was disrespectful how they caught a speed boat from Bangkok to Phuket at the end without even a gps to navigate. 

Similar to this, Borat brought great national shame to Kazakhstan and its a crime to even watch the movie there, I think you can get 10 years imprisonment. It didn't showcase the true country and people and made the locals look like hillbilly plonkers.

As an Aussie, self depreciating humour is part of our culture so I totally missed the insensitivities when watching the Hangover II. But on reflection, I do see where the missus is coming from.

What do others think and is the Hangover II the Thai equivalent of Borat for local Thais?

"disrespectful how they crossed thailand without gps"?   she must loose her mind watching Star Wars!   as for the depiction of thai people, has she ever been to bangkok?   its spot on!   but then again, ITS JUST A MOVIE!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I call b/s on this

"She went on to say how Thai people are ashamed at how their country is portrayed and it makes them look to be an impoverished sex-riddled land of no laws and corruption. It doesn't portray the joyful sensitive side of Thailand and the land of a million smiles. She also said it was disrespectful how they caught a speed boat from Bangkok to Phuket at the end without even a gps to navigate."

The  fictional "girl friend" would appear to have either no sense of humour, which is unlikely considering her choice of partner, or she comes from an ultra conservative high class family, which is even more unlikely, for the same reason.  As for the bit about it being disrespectful catching a speedboat with "no gps"  What on earth is all that about ?  

I've watched that film with my mrs and several other Thais, not one had any problem at all, in fact they thought the film was hilarious, and if anything were surprised that I was not a little embarrassed at the behaviour displayed by the lads 

I cannot begin to understand the thought processes that result in somebody posting this OP  its a bit  worrying that its from a grown man

Disagree, your fictional missus and friends are clearly not Thai. The whole premise of the movie is mocking Thai people and their culture. 

It's very ignorant for people like you to presume you speak on behalf of an entire country and culture 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Disagree, your fictional missus and friends are clearly not Thai. The whole premise of the movie is mocking Thai people and their culture. 

It's very ignorant for people like you to presume you speak on behalf of an entire country and culture 

I suspect they are lowly Vietnamese 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I was more offended by how they got from Phuket to Bangkok in a speedboat in an hour. Or why they thought millions of people would buy into that nonsense. If anybody can figure out that trick could they please let me know?

Sounds like the Mrs. is taking herself way too seriously, perhaps she needs to lighten up and maybe take some more laxative. Kazakhstan was offended by Borat initially, but now they've made him into a major tourist attraction, and they're using it to publicize the nation. So how's that for productive thinking? 

• Like 2

I'm to noticing new members posting boring Threads and quickly jumping on members who have seen what these new members are up to. A condom thread will pop up soon, no pun intended along the lines of who uses them do you buy flavored  one's for the missus etc.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/2/2024 at 11:44 AM, susanlea said:

Nice troll. Nobody in Thailand cares. The Phuket scene was filmed at Krabi.

Can't get from Bkk to Krabi by sea without going around Singapore- what is your point?

The film was a vile, shallow, disgusting misrepresentation of Thailand that would be ripped apart by any that know LOS. The stupid boat scene was just the most obvious lie in the movie.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't get from Bkk to Krabi by sea without going around Singapore- what is your point?

The film was a vile, shallow, disgusting misrepresentation of Thailand that would be ripped apart by any that know LOS. The stupid boat scene was just the most obvious lie in the movie.

American movies are not meant to be realistic. Rocky :cheesy:

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was more offended by how they got from Phuket to Bangkok in a speedboat in an hour. Or why they thought millions of people would buy into that nonsense. If anybody can figure out that trick could they please let me know?

Sounds like the Mrs. is taking herself way too seriously, perhaps she needs to lighten up and maybe take some more laxative. Kazakhstan was offended by Borat initially, but now they've made him into a major tourist attraction, and they're using it to publicize the nation. So how's that for productive thinking? 

I doubt the Thais will ever use that vile movie for promotion. Borat was a comedy, but the hangover mob were taking themselves seriously, IMO. They should be ashamed of themselves for it, as the first hangover movie was pretty good.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt the Thais will ever use that vile movie for promotion. Borat was a comedy, but the hangover mob were taking themselves seriously, IMO. They should be ashamed of themselves for it, as the first hangover movie was pretty good.

Comedies aren't meant to be taken seriously. That's the point. The ladyboy scene was funny. 

Just now, susanlea said:

I thought it was funny. Good movie.

You are welcome to your opinion. Mine is that it was a waste of my time sitting through it. I've sat through many waste of time movies hoping the end makes up for it. Sometimes it does, but in this case it was just annoying. It wasn't even necessary to put BS in the movie as they could have set the resort in Samui, which could have been reached from Bkk without passing Singapore.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You are welcome to your opinion. Mine is that it was a waste of my time sitting through it. I've sat through many waste of time movies hoping the end makes up for it. Sometimes it does, but in this case it was just annoying. It wasn't even necessary to put BS in the movie as they could have set the resort in Samui, which could have been reached from Bkk without passing Singapore.

You like wasting time then.

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The studios like to assume we are all kids or idiots. We will believe anything and there is no reason to make a film plausible. We are seeking that more and more as Hollywood gets lazier and far less creative. 

20 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I cannot begin to understand the thought processes that result in somebody posting this OP  its a bit  worrying that its from a grown man

Its a given the OP has some substance abuse issues that need to be brought under control.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you watch it from start to end ?