Bangkok Bank ATM use/tutorial ?

Hello, I'm wondering if there might any English  youtube or otherwise , that slowly goes through and explains all the various screens on an BBL ATM screen.

I went down to Asoke branch , they really couldn't even get by the 1st one where it talks about a PIN change.

(is it the case, that one goes to an ATM and at the ATM creates a new PIN, then next time they try to logon to the website they must create a new pw, eg an ATM is required to be given the ability to change passwords? "You will be given a PIN (personal identification number) which must be changed when you first log on and then you can change your password whenever you like. No one, including our staff will be able to access it."

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/FAQ

My plan is to go and take photos of each screen and try to understand what and what I am not aware of.

A)

on the web portal/page there is also many options that I am not clear about  eg   " add own account" "add own credit card" "add 3rd party account/ intl account/ BBL car"   etc.

Ideally I would like to go to a particular branch and have someone goes through everything in English clearly, possibly the Silom Branch might be worth visiting?

2)

She also mentioned for my security getting a photo taken in the branch for a facial scan which would apparently prohibit "transfers > 50,000 THB" ;   I recall reading something about this, on AN last year, is this something folks are doing?

At the moment, I dont use the phone app, as I don't need it, and feel phone banking is not secure enough.

3)

I have 2 accounts, one has no ATM , but seems trivial to just connect to the one the Does have ATM, then move money from the one that doesn't??!  On the website I *do see something in My Settings that says "remove own accounts from ibanking" might that be it?

so,  how would I possibly separate the 2 accounts ?  I know this is a question/s for "customer service", but thought I'd ask her 1st, and be prepared, for the Thai-glish and/or confusion of things complicated.

will stop there

Edited by khlongtoey
z
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

I have 2 accounts, one has no ATM , but seems trivial to just connect to the one the Does have ATM, then move money from the one that doesn't??!  On the website I *do see something in My Settings that says "remove own accounts from ibanking" might that be it?

you can transfer between each account, on the ATM will only be possible from the account with the card, using destination account number

if you've successfully added both accounts to your online login you can use the website/phone app to transfer between each other 

Just really quickly to note

We give you a temporary password and we force you to change it so that only you know your password. Until you change it we "know it" too even though it is sent in a sealed envelope.

Once you change it we never store the actual password only you know it - we store the "Hash" - i.e. the result of a 1-way encryption (in simple terms).

When you enter your password at logon we compare the Hash of that stored with the Hash of that entered. In this way your password can never be "stolen". And using Hashing you cannot go "backwards" from the stored Hash to the Password, wheras with Encryption (2-way) you can Decrypt. 

Just to explain the "why" so things do not remain a mystery. 

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, ianguygil said:

Just really quickly to note

We give you a temporary password and we force you to change it so that only you know your password. Until you change it we "know it" too even though it is sent in a sealed envelope.

Once you change it we never store the actual password only you know it - we store the "Hash" - i.e. the result of a 1-way encryption (in simple terms).

When you enter your password at logon we compare the Hash of that stored with the Hash of that entered. In this way your password can never be "stolen". And using Hashing you cannot go "backwards" from the stored Hash to the Password, wheras with Encryption (2-way) you can Decrypt. 

Just to explain the "why" so things do not remain a mystery. 

hmm, not sure what this refers to. (are you saying one does something at the ATM and then a password to login to App and/or Website, arrives with   old fashioned Thai Post?

however, its brings up another question, say I enter the wrong pw 3 times and my account gets "locked" and I am not in Thailand,

*can it be changed/restored without being IN Thailand? 

or must one visit a branch or ATM?  I'm still unclear what the screen on the ATM means about PINs and pw, yesterday, I tried to tell the bank girl, that PINs are 4-6 digits, passwords are passwords,   and I've no idea what the screen is referring to re: PINs,  I assume it has nothing to do with ATM PINs.

• Sad 1

I was explaining this

"

I went down to Asoke branch , they really couldn't even get by the 1st one where it talks about a PIN change.

(is it the case, that one goes to an ATM and at the ATM creates a new PIN, then next time they try to logon to the website they must create a new pw, eg an ATM is required to be given the ability to change passwords? "You will be given a PIN (personal identification number) which must be changed when you first log on and then you can change your password whenever you like. No one, including our staff will be able to access it."

Just got locked out of my BKK bank on iPhone 14 yesterday, text said I had to go to a branch.. Did today and wasn't a real easy task to get back in the saddle.... Yes I'm past 70 and not as tech savvy as many... But up till this happened I have been amazed at the ease of online banking. I kind of suspect Apple noticed my dual sim (ones USA) and just screwed with enough settings I couldn't enter the pin yesterday.... Hence locking account... 

• Thumbs Up 1

You can always use the old system. Just to to a branch of your bank with the bank account saving booklet and get all your banking needs from a person at the branch. You can withdraw and deposit money, transfer between your accounts (bring both books with you), transfer to another person\company account (you will need their account number and name. Most, if not all banks have branches inside shipping centers and those branches work long hours without a brake.

On 7/3/2024 at 9:48 AM, khlongtoey said:

2)

She also mentioned for my security getting a photo taken in the branch for a facial scan which would apparently prohibit "transfers > 50,000 THB" ;   I recall reading something about this, on AN last year, is this something folks are doing?

I have done and it's a pain in the a...

Very unreliable, drives me nuts.

SCB and Kasikorn don't care about this new idea.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Phone banking is much more secure than using a card in the ATM.

Agree.

22 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

It detects glasses and asks you to remove them and then asks you blink several times, obviously to prove you are alive and then approves the transfer.

For me it's an annoyance and not more.

So many failed attempts and as you describe you have to take off your glasses and then can't read the instruction.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:31 PM, ianguygil said:

I was explaining this

"

thanks, soo ; one can not change a BBL website pw unless they go to an ATM  or ?

2) in the case you explain there, one is locked out of the website, they then go to ATM and the ATM  issues a PIN to write down and use to recover access to website? (seems to be what you wrote)

or does it Just reset the system; *then one goes to the website,  and create any new PIN ? 

then what is the "new" PIN used for, if anything ; (as afaik only PIN I currently have is for the ATM)

and/or maybe this is not for password access recovery, but more about being allowed to change passwords , without*  having to be in Thailand and hence something I *should set up now , before I leave thailand for 6 months??

I then imagine it is a security feature to NOT have a PIN , and considered safer to be forced to go to an ATM to reset website access passwords?

assuming that there is some other method besides going forward then always have a PIN , once it is done once  ?  🙂