How are Thai people so still while riding behind the bike?

pluto72

Hey guys, I have been riding behind bikes for so many months, and I always had to hold on to the bike with my hand to not fall off. Then, there are Thai people with both hands not holding on and calming using their phones. I am amazed at their talent!! How about you guys?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pluto72 said:

Hey guys, I have been riding behind bikes for so many months, and I always had to hold on to the bike with my hand to not fall off. Then, there are Thai people with both hands not holding on and calming using their phones. I am amazed at their talent!! How about you guys?

Still got the scars to show I should never have tried it.

You should see them in Germany........maniacs....!

Holding tight to the bike is the problem.  When riding a bike as a rider or passenger, you're supposed to use your natural balance, relax and let the bike move with the road.  It's easy if you don't hold tight.

Grab the bike in the two-hands-behind-your-back holding the hand rail death grip like most falangs I see on motorcycle taxis, and you become a dead weight being thrown around by every bump in the road and resisting the breaking and acceleration by gripping even tighter and tensing your upper body.  It's also horrible for the rider when you do this .... it's like strapping a fridge on the back of your bike.

Just relax .... the little bikes used as taxis don't have the power to throw you off the back.

I just have one hand lightly resting on the handrail so I can hold it if the rider brakes suddenly, and by relaxing you don't get that 'being thrown around' feeling that makes you hold tighter.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the way to do it!

Relax, stay loose, some anticipation is allowed. Holding on tight is the worst thing you can do.

The best pillion I ever had was a 6'8" biker who was almost not there he was so in tune. I've struggled more with smaller lighter loads!

33 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

just have one hand lightly resting on the handrail so I can hold it if the rider brakes suddenly, and by relaxing you don't get that 'being thrown around' feeling that makes you hold tighter.

• Like 1