BBL bank photo copies of Visa page.

On 7/5/2024 at 9:06 AM, DrJack54 said:

That's interesting hadn't heard of that.

Bit unrelated ...recent trip to CW for stamp transfer to new pp immigration demanded copy of my bank book pages showing compliance to financial requirements.

Never previously required. 

That is worrisome, I always use an agent, and after getting a retirement extension, I withdraw the money from my account.

On 7/5/2024 at 12:30 PM, khunjeff said:

They asked for that when I went there to transfer stamps more than four years ago, so it isn't new - but they still haven't bothered to post the requirement online. 

I was quite confused when it happened, and said "I'm here to transfer stamps, not for an extension". They said yes, yes, we need to check if your balance is still in order. I told them I had used an Embassy letter rather than a bank deposit for my last extension - which happened to be true! - and they just said "oh, ok then" and waved me on.

But did they check the bank book then or did you not have that with you and it sufficed to say you had a letter from the embassy.

4 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

That is worrisome, I always use an agent, and after getting a retirement extension, I withdraw the money from my account.

Yes. I'm thinking of moving to agent for good reason.

Be aware that you can travel with both passports domestic and international.

Your worse case is if you attend immigration for transfer of stamps and if they want your bank book just don't provide and discuss with agent

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I never understood why a passport is required for a withdrawal but not for a deposit.

I have been asked for my passport to make a deposit. It was back in 2020. I don't know how common that is. Generally, my deposits are electronic ones. And when I do a withdrawal from my locked SSA account at Bangkok Bank in person, I have the teller transfer it to my other atm account. So they always check the passport.

My attempt to open a fixed deposit a/c was rejected as I was informed it was only available to Thai citizens. The online e app asks for details of the Thai ID card. So I would like to know how you did it.

14 minutes ago, fgmr said:

My attempt to open a fixed deposit a/c was rejected as I was informed it was only available to Thai citizens. The online e app asks for details of the Thai ID card. So I would like to know how you did it.

You were advised incorrectly.

Also you don't open a FD account online. You visit bank 

• Agree 1

Seems to be the norm now with BB. I went in to a branch, not my local one, because I wanted the Bangkok Bank app to work on a second device and register a second savings account for the app. Very helpful lady. To get the app to register me on my second device a photo is now needed and was taken. To register the second account a completed form was needed. Copies of my passport ID page and page with my extension of permission to stay to accompany, with my signature of course on everything.

Once downloaded registering the app on a device now takes you through several steps, including for ID verification facial recognition looking in to the device's camera, once that was accepted you had to complete two actions, looking left and then right in my case. Success! But as I wear glasses and was required to remove them for this reading the on-screen instructions was tricky and involved a certain amount of guesswork on my part.

Still no sign of my second account using the app but she said this would take several days and I would receive an SMS confirming availability.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, fgmr said:

I had the same reaction but a call to the bank's head office resulted in a positive reaction.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, arick said:

Because it's never happened to me before in 14 years and my question is if you weren't living here anymore and you just came are they not going to give you your money out of the account that's why I'm asking just very authoritarianism I've never had that done to me at Kung Thai Bank or any other bank it's only happened to me for the first time in Bangkok Bank and Bangkok. One time 

My account was opened in 2000 and in 2014 received the following.

visa email_Page_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Outrageous scaremongering.

"Admission into government hospital" 

My Oz friend recently here here on visa exempt had medical episode and admitted to hospital. 

He is coming back in August on visa exempt.....I will pass on to him that since he does not have a visa or extension he won't get into hospital or be able to withdraw cash from his Thai bank account or take a domestic flight to wherever.

Inappropriate response.

The poster should have said in the first line "Valid visa status", and visa exempt is a valid visa status.

At my hospital registration can be by ID card or passport. I am registered with ID card and during the covid crisis was treated differently to other foreigners that were registered with passport, emergency treatment is a different  scenario.

Same with the banks, some services may require a certain visa status.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have been asked for my passport to make a deposit.

For a deposit my bank only asks for ID. Could be a Thai DL, but I use my pink card.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

For a deposit my bank only asks for ID. Could be a Thai DL, but I use my pink card.

Like I say, it was only the one time, and it was a payroll check. When I deposit large sums of cash, say 50,000, they didn't check. But I haven't made anything but electronic deposits or transfers since 2020.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, sandyf said:

My account was opened in 2000 and in 2014 received the following.

visa email_Page_1.jpg

Thanks so maybe some new regulations. Bbl was mumbling about face scans. I told her why do I need a face scan already have the app. She went and check cane back saying  nothing more about it. 

Krung Thai doesn't have internet banking anymore only their app. I use my app for everything can go without cash or debit card for months. 

Edited by arick
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, oldestswinger said:

I had the same reaction but a call to the bank's head office resulted in a positive reaction.

I had to fixed account through a Bangkok Bank credit card. Fixed accounts with BBL are very painful. But a good way to save money because you're only allowed to withdraw money from the province that you opened up the accountant. However if you had an emergency you would have to drive all the way to that province to withdraw funds.

Krung Thai I just opened the fixed saver. You can withdraw funds anywhere.

Last year about 6 weeks before extension deadline, I went to Bangkok Bank to get the statement and letter, and wanted to get a new ATM card too (it got eaten by an ATM years ago). I was told to come back after extending - not long enough now.

The same thing happened at the government office for "pink card" - come back after extending.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, arick said:

I had to fixed account through a Bangkok Bank credit card. Fixed accounts with BBL are very painful. But a good way to save money because you're only allowed to withdraw money from the province that you opened up the accountant. However if you had an emergency you would have to drive all the way to that province to withdraw funds.

Krung Thai I just opened the fixed saver. You can withdraw funds anywhere.

this is one of the problems with banking here, the small print and warnings may not be clearly disclosed, till one find out about them by happenstance on AN, or when something goes wrong, and then may or may not be easily undone,  IMO

I may just stick with Non-O's  from outside Thai and not do extensions for now. ; until I *am in country 180 days + or something , lol

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Thanks so maybe some new regulations. Bbl was mumbling about face scans. I told her why do I need a face scan already have the app. She went and check cane back saying  nothing more about it. 

Krung Thai doesn't have internet banking anymore only their app. I use my app for everything can go without cash or debit card for months. 

When I followed up on the email I had received the bank manager, who spoke very good English, said other banks and even branches may do things differently. Appeared to be a culture where banks chose to do things as they saw fit, wouldn't be a surprise to see some move towards uniformity.

When TMB was taken over by TTB they also dropped internet banking leaving only the app. Bit of a pain as I had to get another phone for the required android version. With fingers like cows tits I do as little as possible on any phone app. Fortunately with banking it is mainly numeric and the numeric keypad is a reasonable size.

Modern technology can be a pain but since I went onto internet banking in 2009 I have only ever had to go inside a bank on the odd occasion.

• I suppose the deeper meaning of this is things may be tightening up on the visa front. More rules will be coming and better enforcement?
  • I don't understand the mentality of people who want to get around the visa rules. They are not that onerous (apart from the 90 day reports.....why on earth can't we report it at the local police station? That or design a revolutionary thing for Thailand....a web site that works).
  • I suppose I don't see how people who haven't got the funds to meet the legal immigration requirements want to live in Thailand. If I was in that situation I would go home.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:12 PM, Peterphuket said:

But did they check the bank book then or did you not have that with you and it sufficed to say you had a letter from the embassy.

I didn't have it with me - their question was a total surprise - and they were satisfied with my statement that I had used an Embassy letter for my extension. (Obviously such a statement wouldn't fly now, since the US Embassy no longer issues income letters, and they could see that I had an American passport.)

In fact, since I had always used the Embassy letter method up until that point, I had never bothered to open a bank account, so my account was only a month old at the time I went in for the stamp transfer. I don't think I had even transferred the 800k at that point, so my account probably only had a few thousand baht in it!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, retarius said:
  • I suppose the deeper meaning of this is things may be tightening up on the visa front. More rules will be coming and better enforcement?
  • I don't understand the mentality of people who want to get around the visa rules. They are not that onerous (apart from the 90 day reports.....why on earth can't we report it at the local police station? That or design a revolutionary thing for Thailand....a web site that works).
  • I suppose I don't see how people who haven't got the funds to meet the legal immigration requirements want to live in Thailand. If I was in that situation I would go home.

What the hell are you mumbling on about.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

What the hell are you mumbling on about.

sir, where is your 2024 thai tax return copy ?  sorry , no extension this year.

other idea, is maybe good to start getting 1 year extensions now, and maybe they will grandfather those already in country, like happens with many other big changes to "the rules" ?

• Haha 1

In the branch now Yes it is common for you to sign the first page on your visa form for your bank account and you can also or you can also use your pink ID card instead of the passport. Search for banking or for online banking with the app.

On 7/5/2024 at 6:23 AM, arick said:

I recently went into Bangkok Bank to withdraw funds from a fixed account. instead of just taking a photocopy of the front picture of my passport they also were taking  copies of my Visa page. It's the first time I've had this happen they've never done it in any of the other banks and Bangkok Bank has never done an up now or is it just a Bangkok thing or a certain branches that takes photocopies of your visa. I withdraw a few months ago using my ID card.

Inconsistent application of laws, procedures, and rules permeate every facet of business and government in this country from restaurants and banks to civil offices.

This is simple fact that anybody who has been here for a while takes for granted.

Get used to it and always expect surprises since it will never change and always change.

Things change from the last time things changed. It's called chaos.

That sounds like nonsense double speak because that's what it is but it's still true.

19 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Inconsistent application of laws, procedures, and rules permeate every facet of business and government in this country from restaurants and banks to civil offices.

This is simple fact that anybody who has been here for a while takes for granted.

Get used to it and always expect surprises since it will never change and always change.

Things change from the last time things changed. It's called chaos.

That sounds like nonsense double speak because that's what it is but it's still true.

Just got a message from Bangkok Bank again so now I have to do my 12th trip they need to verify my ID again even though I was just there two days ago and they took everything and signed everything but apparently there was a glitch in their computer system so I need to drive all the way to the branch again this is all because I want to use my Bangkok app on my new phone.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:24 PM, KannikaP said:

Not correct. Went for a statement last week, only the first page of PP was taken for me to sign.

I have had to sign both copies - face-page and latest permitted-stay page.  Once, I was asked to help them find the page with my current permitted-stay for them to copy, which I helpfully did.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:14 AM, retarius said:

I suppose I don't see how people who haven't got the funds to meet the legal immigration requirements want to live in Thailand. If I was in that situation I would go home.

That would mean being very poor, for such people - vs the cost of living here.   I have known pensioners ... much better life here than they would have "at home."

If I got into a financial situation which impacted my permitted-stay in Thailand, I'd go to Cambodia or Laos, where they don't care about bank-book balances - just pay your fee every year and done. 

58 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I have had to sign both copies - face-page and latest permitted-stay page.  Once, I was asked to help them find the page with my current permitted-stay for them to copy, which I helpfully did.

Don't doubt your account.

By way of contrast that has never happened to me even as recently as this week.

Kasikorn Bangkok 

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank is inform me that anybody wanting to use the new app a new Bangkok Bank app on their new phone or new device are required to have their pictures taken at the local branch. 

However the branches aren't aware of this so be sure that you get your picture taken anyway or your waist trips back and forth to the branch. When you go to register on your app you'll have an error code I believe 507 which means you need our required to have a face picture. Apparently this new requirement of just come out in the last month but branches are not aware of it yet.