Thai SSO Yellow Book

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

COPIED FROM ABOVE:

I add a bit more for clarity IN PURPLE BOLD FONT:  The 432 Baht monthly member contribution payment (for the Voluntary Insurance scheme after retirement) is activated by the SSO. The SSO starts a process to get the 432Baht from the member's bank.

The member DOES NOT need to set up a recurring payment in their own personal bank account details - it doesn't work like that. As just above the SSO handles the whole process. 

I was asked by the SSO at Chiang Mai to give them the Thai bank name, account name, and account number which I wanted the SSO to use for them to get my monthly payment. 

As already said the SSO does this process on the 15th of every month, if 15th is a Sat or Sun or public holiday the deduction from the member's account automatically delays until the next working day.

On the 16th of each month or the first working day after the Sat, Sun, Public hol. I open my internet banking and check that bank account to confirm the SSO has activated the system.

It seems that the deduction generated by the SSO happens late evening.

When I look at transactions for the 15th (or later if need because of week-end / pub hol.) I see in the withdrawals list '432 SSO'.

If the member wants to ensure the funds have been received by the SSO go to '  https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/main/login  ' and you can find a list of deductions and you should see your name and member number (pink ID card number).  

If the member's bank account doesn't have enough funds (bank account balance is under 432 then obviously there's no payment. 

Don't panic, go to any 7/11 with a printed copy of the SSO main screen OR A SMARTPHONE PHOTO OF THE SSO OPENING PAGE OF THEIR WEBSITE WHICH IS OBVOUSLY 99% IN tHAI LANGUAGE  

Why? Probably doubtful that the 7/11 staff will understand a farang verbally telling them 'Social Security Fund' in English. 

I've done it once, as above as suggested by the English speaking lawyer on their 1506 hotline and the 7/11 man found it in their payments list in a couple of seconds. I also showed my passport and put 432Baht cash on the counter.

The 7/11 man quickly asked '1 month or 2?'  I said '1'. 

7/11 man quickly took the 432 cash. Within a second I had a receipt. 

Two days later I opened https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/main/login site and my late payment made at 7/11 was showing.

There's no penalty for short term late payment. 

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

On the 16th of each month or the first working day after the Sat, Sun, Public hol. I open my internet banking and check that bank account to confirm the SSO has activated the system.

Good, thorough info above. The details of initially setting up everything w/ SSO were all handled by my company. Though I MAY remember giving to my bank an automated deduction authorization form, I also may not remember it, as it's been so many years ago. 🙂  

I also get an SMS every month around the 22 that says in Thai: "Thank you for paying the Social Security payment for installment." I don't remember requesting such a notice, but it's welcome nonetheless. I do make sure to keep adequate funds in my account at all times.

On 7/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Yeah, my contract changed, I baulked and bailed out. The govt insurance was paid entirely by myself. The private school made the deduction for me as well as paying for private insurance. Kinda stressing this catch-22. I know I'll get money back, but if I don't get the ins I paid in five years unnecessarily

If you are over 55, you can get your contribution-money back.  Whether you can get that AND keep in the SSO system for health is another question.  My office would not do it.  They stole my contributions, because I wanted to keep paying for the health-insurance (which is worth FAR more - especially as I get older).  I tried the main-office in the Bangkok (area), and they said the same thing - sign a form to CANCEL your SSO health-insurance, and ONLY THEN, will we return your contributions. 

I hear in Rayong you can get both - but still need that yellow-book (now - not in older reports) - though can get a Thai-speaker to call them and ask to be sure (be sure they call THAT OFFICE - not the "main number").  I think the trick is to get the money-back first, then - within the "time permitted to apply after your job ends" - you re-sign-up for the SSO health. 

I could not find a lawyer or agent who would touch this.  As soon as I mentioned the SS office for health, they were, "Oh, no, we won't deal with them," - seemed afraid of some sort of "payback" problems with their own business, if they advocated for a foreigner with that office.  At some offices (less-so in Rayong) they seem to deeply resent us being in "their" SSO system.  If anyone knows a lawyer who can get my pension-money back, w/o losing my SSO-health, please advise.

Also, my local office insisted they WOULD NOT do bank-acct deductions unless my bank-book had my name in Thai script.  That led to a wild goose-chase of discovering that EVERY bank refuses to do this - "Is Illegal," they all said.  This wasn't about my pink-id # being connected to the account - the SSO office wanted MY NAME IN THAI SCRIPT to do it.  Again, maybe Rayong won't erect this barrier.   I pay every month at 7/11, for now.   Miss three payments and you are forced-out.

Edited by Rob Browder

On 7/7/2024 at 7:10 AM, Yellowtail said:

When you retire, I do not think the SSO card is valid. 

After you retire, the SSO system uses your Pink-ID number.  Unless the number on your SSO card is the same (mine wasn't - got my Pink ID later), it will not match.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, scorecard said:

- The member can also elect to continue their membership for Injury and Sickness  benefits. Having already received the retirement payment DOESN'T cancel the entitlement to continue Injury and Sickness benefits using the 'Voluntary insurance' facility.

Unless they don't want you to have it - and make you choose one or the other.  Though you are correct as to the law - not that they care.

Dental is covered to a max amount per year. I've had inspections and 2 fillings in one year and this didn't reach the max benefits entitlement for one year.

1000 Baht is the yearly allotment for dental.  Your dentist has good pricing.

Member completes a form which gives the SSO the members approval to automatically deduct the monthly member contributions from a Thai bank account nominated by the member.

Only if you have a bank-account with your name in Thai Script - at my SSO office.  Otherwise, you can pay at 7/11.  This is one of their newer hurdles.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:47 AM, Max_Headroom said:

My wife's parents have a home in Pathum Thani (rent BKK). Amphor suggested I get on that and provide some excuse of coming and going often. Parents actually rent this place out*

Definitely have your wife call that office and ask what they want there - could be completely different - and you would be going into your wife's / family's yellow-book, which maybe easier. 

Also, have her ask if they have an "expedited service" option or not there.  Then, pick the easiest of the two options. 

• Thanks 1

I am currently working on the same issue. I was told by my local SSO office, to continue SSO health insurance in Bangkok after employment, they need a Thai ID card and I must be registered in a Tambien Baan. They will  not accept rental agreement.

To further accomplish the above, I must proceed in this order:

1. Mail my passport to the U.S. embassy to receive a True Certified Copy (pay the crazy Embassy fee). 
  2. Give the True Certified Copy to an agent to translate it into Thai language. 
  3. Take the Thai translation, passport, etc. to some government building at Chaengwattana to certify it. 
  4. Take all certified paperwork to the appropriate gov. along with Tambien Baan owner and one witness.
  5. Receive yellow Tambien Baan and Pink ID card.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scoutman360 said:

To further accomplish the above, I must proceed in this order:

1. Mail my passport to the U.S. embassy to receive a True Certified Copy (pay the crazy Embassy fee). 
  2. Give the True Certified Copy to an agent to translate it into Thai language. 
  3. Take the Thai translation, passport, etc. to some government building at Chaengwattana to certify it. 
  4. Take all certified paperwork to the appropriate gov. along with Tambien Baan owner and one witness.
  5. Receive yellow Tambien Baan and Pink ID card.

I would let the translator company handle 2 and 3, because they know the ropes, and if there is an error in their translation they will handle the fix.  That govt-office is the "Ministry of Foreign Affairs," which will certify your embassy's signature is genuine, AND verify the translation.

I hope your #4 to #5 can be done in a timely manner - not several months.  Some are reported to do it all the same-day.  Please let us know the results.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, Crossy said:

I'm going through the same process right now.

Visited the local (Pathum Thani) SSO with my "assistant" (she's actually the lady from my former office), SSO staff were most helpful.

I already have Yellow Book and Pink ID.

BUT of course, my ID number didn't match my SSO number (which was issued 20 odd years ago).

Staff had discussions and have adjusted the system so my ID number and SSO number are now the same (as they would be for a Thai).

I opted for the refund of contributions as staff informed me that if I took the pension, I wouldn't be able to continue the health cover (which is really what I want).

Do you know why/how you were given an option of how to receive your payments if you've been paying in for over 20 years?
The SSO rules are less than 180 months of contributions you get a lump sum and over 180 months you get the monthly payments. There's actually no choice in the regulations. My employer, the local SSO (also Pathum Thani, but Khlong Luang branch) and the 1506 hotline all say I have no option to take a lump sum payment because I've paid in more than 180 months. I'm leaving Thailand and would like to get the lump sum to make life easier without having to worry about Thai bank apps and cards expiring etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Mail my passport to the U.S. embassy to receive a True Certified Copy (pay the crazy Embassy fee).

You can do that by mail? Good to have here for future reference.

• Give the True Certified Copy to an agent to translate it into Thai language. 
  • Take the Thai translation, passport, etc. to some government building at Chaengwattana to certify it. 

As said above, combine to one step. Translator deals with MFA for you (not ALL translators; check). If you have your name translated into Thai on other official docs (that you're going to show the Amphur), tell the translator to use that translation. Otherwise, you'll have to get the other translation changed.

• Take all certified paperwork to the appropriate gov. along with Tambien Baan owner and one witness.

Pattaya City Hall, very strict (keeps out all the riff raff) requires 2 witnesses, and I think other offices might. The witnesses should be able to verify you're at the address and have been living there awhile. Maybe even attest to your good character. Both my witnesses were informally interviewed.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Do you know why/how you were given an option of how to receive your payments if you've been paying in for over 20 years?
The SSO rules are less than 180 months of contributions you get a lump sum and over 180 months you get the monthly payments. There's actually no choice in the regulations. My employer, the local SSO (also Pathum Thani, but Khlong Luang branch) and the 1506 hotline all say I have no option to take a lump sum payment because I've paid in more than 180 months. I'm leaving Thailand and would like to get the lump sum to make life easier without having to worry about Thai bank apps and cards expiring etc.

I truly have no idea, it's possible that something got lost in translation.

I do note that my payment hasn't arrived yet 😞 

Once I've got my new BKK Bank account we have to go back to the office to arrange them taking the $$$ per month out, we can verify then.

I'm actually not sure just how long I've been paying in, there was a gap after my first batch when I was working elsewhere, heck I'm not even sure if I retained the same SS number.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

"Mail my passport to the U.S. embassy to receive a True Certified Copy (pay the crazy Embassy fee)."

You can do that by mail? Good to have here for future reference.

By mail is the ONLY option. U.S. embassy will not accept walk-ins or appointments. Check the embassy website. Step-by-step instructions are in there somewhere.  Turn around is 5-10 days.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm actually not sure just how long I've been paying in, there was a gap after my first batch when I was working elsewhere, heck I'm not even sure if I retained the same SS number.

Have you set up a user account on the Thailand SSO website? Once setup, you can search and find all your SSO contributions over the years. I recommend using Chrome browser. The (right click) "translate to English" feature is helpful.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 8:45 AM, jcmj said:

Any way to get back in the insurance after the 6 months is over?

No. However as @scorecard says, these offices OFTEN give wrong information!

I have a blue Thai ID card and they couldn't/wouldn't give me a SS card.

I missed some 432 baht payments and got kicked out the system, but they are now giving me 1200 baht a month for life. No problem for me as I am now on the Gold Card(formerly 30 baht scheme)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Have you set up a user account on the Thailand SSO website? Once setup, you can search and find all your SSO contributions over the years. I recommend using Chrome browser. The (right click) "translate to English" feature is helpful.

Good information  /  advice. 

Edited by scorecard

I'm going through the same process right now.

Visited the local (Pathum Thani) SSO with my "assistant" (she's actually the lady from my former office), SSO staff were most helpful.

I already have Yellow Book and Pink ID.

BUT of course, my ID number didn't match my SSO number (which was issued 20 odd years ago).

Staff had discussions and have adjusted the system so my ID number and SSO number are now the same (as they would be for a Thai).

I opted for the refund of contributions as staff informed me that if I took the pension, I wouldn't be able to continue the health cover (which is really what I want).

Asked if I wanted to pay direct from the bank.

Yes please (handing over my SCB stuff).

Ah, we can't do SCB, do you have BKK Bank.

As it happens, I do, so they took that and processed my refund to it.

Then the googly (cricket term for what would be a curve-ball in baseball).

My BKK Bank account was started in 1,000,000 BCE using a long extinct passport.

You need to open a new account using your yellow book and pink ID.

This is going to be fun indeed.

At this moment I've not attempted that task!

The BKK Bank website no longer has details of what's required for a foreigner to open an account. Now just "refer to any BKK Bank branch"

Wish me luck (I will report).

Crossy, sounds like you're making progress.

When I got to the point of giving the SSO my bank account number I gave them a K Bank  a/c number opened about 14 years earlier, a joint a/c, myself and my Thai adult son.

SSO man rejected this saying "Cannot use a joint a/c."

Yhen the SSO officer said "what about that K Bank a/c, pointing to another K bank bankbook on the desk.

I opened the book. The a/c name is myself only, opened at the same branch / same date as the joint a/c with my son*:

*K Bank asked for no details to open the a/c in my and sons' name except

my passport

and I offered my PR book but it was ignored, and son's Thai ID card. 

For son obviously just his Thai ID card.  

The SSO officer looked at the bank book for me only and instantly said "Chai Dai! (can use) and within a second he had typed into his SSO screen: "K Bank, account name (my name all in English), and the account number", and it was all accepted.

Note, the account name (my name) in the K bank bankbook is in English only. The SSO officer typed my name into his SSO screen in English, copied from the K bank bankbook. 

The SSO staff asked me no questions whatever / asked for zero details of opening the K Bank account.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

staff informed me that if I took the pension, I wouldn't be able to continue the health cover (which is really what I want).

I would call the main office in Bangkok as I heard this is possible. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

staff informed me that if I took the pension, I wouldn't be able to continue the health cover (which is really what I want).

I would call the main office in Bangkok as I heard this is possible. 

Others have reported the health is deducted from the pension amount monthly. 

I was under 180 months, and was told I could not get the contributions back (lump-sum) unless I did NOT continue the SSO health cover.  But, others reported doing this successfully in the past.

They seem to change the rules over-time - starting with the yellow-book/pink-id requirement, then getting progressively more-difficult.

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The SSO officer looked at the bank book for me only and instantly said "Chai Dai! (can use) and within a second he had typed into his SSO screen: "K Bank, account name (my name all in English), and the account number", and it was all accepted.

How long ago was this, that they accepted an English-name account?  I was trying to get monthly-deductions for health vs a refund, so maybe not apples/apples - but still curious when and where they were OK with this.

Edited by Rob Browder

On 7/12/2024 at 12:33 AM, scorecard said:

THE ABOVE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY:

-  THE CHIANG MAI SSO MANAGR AND THE CHIANG MAI SSO LEAD LAWYER.

-  TWO DIFFERENT ENGLISH SPEAKING SSO OFFICERS ON THE SSO 1506 HOTLINE. I SUSPECT THESE 2 LADIES ARE FROM THE SSO LEGAL DIVISION AT NONTHABURI.

I know this is legally correct - that these are separate - but they told me the exact opposite - both at my local office AND then via the hotline.  I even had a Thai friend call the hotline, a week later (speaking Thai, in case that made a difference), and they were told the exact same thing, "You must cancel your participation in the health program, to get your pension refund."

Thank you for your response, however - I will try again, now. 

The issue with the "name in Thai Script ONLY bank-account," I did not pursue with the hotline people.  I currently pay into the health-scheme at 7/11.  I figured I could get that made-up hurdle fixed, by going to a friendlier office, to set up the automatic deductions (many suggest Rayong is the best).

4 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I know this is legally correct - that these are separate - but they told me the exact opposite - both at my local office AND then via the hotline.  I even had a Thai friend call the hotline, a week later (speaking Thai, in case that made a difference), and they were told the exact same thing, "You must cancel your participation in the health program, to get your pension refund."

Thank you for your response, however - I will try again, now. 

The issue with the "name in Thai Script ONLY bank-account," I did not pursue with the hotline people.  I currently pay into the health-scheme at 7/11.  I figured I could get that made-up hurdle fixed, by going to a friendlier office, to set up the automatic deductions (many suggest Rayong is the best).

It might be that you have to cancel the medical, get the refund, and then re-apply for the medical.

I got the refund and have medical now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It might be that you have to cancel the medical, get the refund, and then re-apply for the medical.

I got the refund and have medical now. 

That would be a problem, as my job ended awhile back - I was well outside the time-window to apply-fresh for the medical, when old enough to get my pension funds refunded.  Maybe that is the trick?  So, have to cancel to get the payout - then re-apply within the allowed time-window after your job ends. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

That would be a problem, as my job ended awhile back - I was well outside the time-window to apply-fresh for the medical, when old enough to get my pension funds refunded.  Maybe that is the trick?  So, have to cancel to get the payout - then re-apply within the allowed time-window after your job ends. 

This is correct, i have recently done it at Rayong. Your employer needs to provide you with a form when you leave, a Kor Tor 10 (spelling??) if your employer did not give you, you can go upstairs to second floor in the One Stop Centre at Mapthaput and get it from there, take that with you to SSO in Rayong along with Passport, Thai bank book, Pink ID card and Yellow book, they will complete the forms for you, you just have to sign. But this must be done within 6 months of leaving your employment. If you have been paying in for less than 15 years they give you a "lump sum pension" paid into your bank in about 1 month. At the same visit i registered to continue payments by myself, received the papers with my new number, then through the back to the finance department and did my first contribution, i now pay at 7/11 every month. For SCB, my bank(i also have UOB but they would not pay it into there), they gave me a form for the branch manager to sign so they could automatically take monthly payments, but they said not all branch managers will sign it!

Rayong SSO is great, really helpful, i was in and out in less than half an hour!

On 7/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, scorecard said:

use the pink ID card number because it's for lifetime and can never expire (which does happen with passport numbers).

My pink Thai ID cards expires after 10 years