Biden ABC Interview Fact Checked

5 minutes ago, Social Media said:

image.png.83b91af43794e7d77f20225dbacdcea9.png

President Biden recently defended his performance in the first presidential debate in an interview with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News, addressing concerns about his fumbling appearance and making several statements that require fact-checking.

Biden claimed, “After that debate, I did 10 major events in a row, including until 2 o’clock in the morning after the debate. I did events in North Carolina. I did events in — in — in Georgia, did events like this today, large crowds, overwhelming response, no — no — no slipping.” This statement is exaggerated. According to his public calendar, Biden has traveled extensively along the East Coast and participated in more than a dozen events since the June 27 debate.

However, whether these events can be considered “major” and the crowds “large” is subjective, and there were instances where Biden misspoke. For example, before the interview on Friday, he told a rally in Wisconsin that he would “beat [Trump] again in 2020.” At a Fourth of July barbecue, he referred to Trump as “one of our former colleagues” before correcting himself. During a fundraising reception in East Hampton, New York, Biden confused Italy and France when discussing a veterans’ cemetery he recently visited.

Biden also stated, “I’m the guy that shut Putin down. No one thought could happen.” This requires context. Biden’s campaign explained that he was referring to Putin’s failed expectations for a quick victory in Ukraine, partly due to Biden’s efforts to marshal allies and provide aid. However, Putin’s war in Ukraine continues two years later, and despite heavy sanctions from the U.S. and other Western countries, Russia’s economy is still growing. The World Bank recently upgraded Russia from an upper-middle-income country to a high-income one.

In discussing polling, Biden said, “All the pollsters I talk to tell me it’s a tossup. It’s a tossup. And when I’m behind, there’s only one poll I’m really far behind, CBS poll and NBC, I mean, excuse me.” This is exaggerated. The Biden campaign cited a Bloomberg poll showing Trump leading by two percentage points and argued that most polls show Trump’s lead within the margin of error. While it is true that many polls show Trump’s lead within the margin of error, he is ahead in most public polling. FiveThirtyEight’s average of national polls shows Trump ahead by 2.5 percentage points, and Real Clear Politics’ average shows Trump leading by 3.3 percentage points.

Out of 12 polls aggregated by Real Clear Politics and 14 by FiveThirtyEight, only one (from Reuters/Ipsos) showed a tie. The Biden campaign later clarified that he misspoke and meant The New York Times/Siena College poll, which showed a six-point lead for Trump. Polls by The Wall Street Journal and CNN showed a similar advantage for Trump.

Biden also claimed, “The New York Times had me behind before anything having to do with this race — had me behind 10 points. Ten points they had me behind. Nothing’s changed substantially since the debate in The New York Times poll.” This statement is misleading. The New York Times/Siena College poll showed Trump’s lead had grown by three points among both likely and registered voters. Before the debate, Trump led among likely voters by 48 percent to 44 percent (a three-point margin before rounding) and among registered voters by 48 percent to 42 percent. Following the debate, Trump led 49 percent to 43 percent among likely voters and 49 to 41 percent among registered voters (a nine-point margin before rounding). The Biden campaign argued that the poll’s margin of error was 2.8 percent, suggesting a minor shift.

Regarding Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, Biden said, “This is a guy who told us to put bleach in our arms to deal with Covid, with a million — over a million people died. This is a guy who talks about wanting to get rid of the health care provision we put in place. This is a guy who wants to give the power back to Big Pharma to be able to charge exorbitant prices for drugs.” This statement is exaggerated.

Trump’s comments in April 2020 about the efficacy of disinfectants and light as treatments for the coronavirus sparked uproar and confusion. He did not instruct people to inject bleach but suggested that doing so with a disinfectant was an “interesting” concept to test. At an April 2020 news conference, a member of Trump’s coronavirus task force said that the virus dies under direct sunlight and that applying bleach in indoor spaces kills the virus in five minutes, and isopropyl alcohol in 30 seconds. Trump responded, “And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”

The Biden campaign explained that his comment about health care referred to Trump’s recent proposals to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. While Trump campaigned on that proposal in 2016, his current position is vague, and he has not yet released a health care plan. Though Trump continues to criticize the health care law as an expensive “disaster,” he said in a January rally in Iowa that his administration would “be either working on Obamacare or doing something new.” Trump also wrote on social media in March that “I’m not running to terminate the ACA,” though he has not released any details on what he would do. Similarly, Trump has not said anything about terminating a provision in the Inflation Reduction Act, the climate change, health, and tax law, allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices. While some Republican lawmakers have expressed interest in repealing that provision, Trump has not commented.

Finally, Biden claimed, “Well, Mark is a good man. We’ve never had — he also tried to get the nomination too.” This statement is misleading. Asked about reports that Senator Mark Warner of Virginia was working to convene fellow Senate Democrats to discuss Biden’s future as the party’s presidential nominee, Biden dismissed those reports by claiming that Warner was a former political rival. However, Warner has never run for president. Warner explored a bid nearly two decades ago but announced in 2006 that he would not seek the nomination. Biden briefly ran for president in 2008 but quit the race in January after poor results in the Iowa caucuses.

Biden's interview with Stephanopoulos contained several exaggerated and misleading statements about his own record, recent events, and his opponent. While defending his debate performance, Biden downplayed unfavorable polling, overstated his role in international affairs, and misrepresented past comments and positions of his rival, Trump.

Credit: NYT 2024-07-08

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Did Biden go out there and spew the same old lies like the felon?no not even close…..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

‘Goodest Job’ or ‘Good as Job’? The White House Wants a Word.
ABC News tweaked its transcript of an intriguing moment in its Friday interview with the president after the Biden administration and news outlets raised questions.

“I’ll feel as long as I gave it my all and I did the goodest job as I know I can do, that’s what this is about,” Mr. Biden said, according to the official transcript that was distributed by ABC on Friday night.

ABC’s standards team decided to review the audio after receiving queries on Saturday from the White House along with several news organizations, asking whether Mr. Biden had said “goodest” or “good as,” according to a person briefed on the network’s discussions.

After conducting its review, the network decided to adjust the transcript and append the editors’ note, the person said. The network did not modify the audio and video of the interview itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/06/us/politics/biden-goodest-transcript.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Re the "as long as I gave it my all" Biden comment above, this from the David Mamet script for the Paul Newman movie The Verdict (1982) with James Mason here at his slimiest:

I'm going to tell you something that I learned when I was your age. I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?" And, uh, I said, "Did my best." And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win."

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Re the "as long as I gave it my all" Biden comment above, this from the David Mamet script for the Paul Newman movie The Verdict (1982) with James Mason here at his slimiest:

I'm going to tell you something that I learned when I was your age. I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?" And, uh, I said, "Did my best." And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win."

shhhh if Joe gets wind if this he will think he is Paul Newman. He is frozen on Clint Eastwood at the moment.

Just the other day i was talking with Sundance... whoa kiddo... anyway.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Love It 1

49 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

shhhh if Joe gets wind if this he will think he is Paul Newman. He is frozen on Clint Eastwood at the moment.

Just the other day i was talking with Sundance... whoa kiddo... anyway.

The problem for you trump supporters is the results of this administration versus the disastrous trump administration.personally I like someone who thinks before they speak someone with experience someone who is a decent moral human being…..if you want to pick nit’s remember trump’s comment on George Washington capturing the (airports) during the revolutionary war?lots of slurred words ect ect Biden is by far the best man and remember there is a competent TEAM backing them up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

The problem for you trump supporters is the results of this administration versus the disastrous trump administration.personally I like someone who thinks before they speak someone with experience someone who is a decent moral human being…..if you want to pick nit’s remember trump’s comment on George Washington capturing the (airports) during the revolutionary war?lots of slurred words ect ect Biden is by far the best man and remember there is a competent TEAM backing them up.

i am not a big fan of Trump. You are going to have to at skme point in life be able to digest people with differing view pints without demonizing them as Trump or MAGA. I have  very strong dislike for Biden and his dishinesty/mental illness. When i speak of Trump if it is in a good regard it is purely tactical. He is outsmarting the dems and raising cash.

I hopes he wins because Biden doesn't have a working brain but I wish there was something better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He really needs to stop doing interviews.

Every time he tries, he just makes things worse.

His latest interview made really uncomfortable viewing. 

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

did you watch the debate joe ? i dont know if i did........errrrr what. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

the conventional wisdom is he should do more to assure us he is with it. Are you saying he should become even less transparent in the hope that he might pull it off? If only he was smart enough to become even more deceptive he could win? 

the dems and Buden have sime soul searching to do. They need to find a soul, this is somewhat laughable in a sad way.

if he shows up unscripted tomorrow, with Corn Pops head, shaved lifeguard legs, a CD! Kicense and long showings hours logged, cozy stories that tell the tale of when he and Xi walked thousands of miles in the Himalayas, and an explanation of how he explained this evening that Philadelphia helped him become a senator when he was a senator in Delaware.

Apparently  for some of us everyday is truly a cognitive test. Most of us don't think of it that way.

anyway... i might get into trouble.

Edited by Cryingdick

Posted (edited)

Here's an interesting tidbit from WURD, who interviewed Biden:

The interview featured pre-determined questions provided by the White House, which violates our practice of remaining an independent media outlet accountable to our listeners. As a result, Ms. Lawful-Sanders and WURD Radio have mutually agreed to part ways, effective immediately,” WURD said in a statement on Sunday.

Which begs 2 questions:

1) Did Stephanopoulus stick to the questions approved by the White House in advance?  (And did CNN provide the debate questions in advance for the White House to approve?)

2) Was Ms Lawful-Sanders fired for the pre-determined questions, or for letting on to CNN (and the world) that she had to agree to stick to to pre-determined questions?  Showing the world how Team Biden rocks in order to protect The Big Guy?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/07/breaking-black-radio-host-fired-allowing-biden-white/

Edit:  I'd add that this was the interview where Biden claimed to be the first black female VP.  So apparently, having the questions in advance wasn't enough to save him.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Biden did his "goodest" job...! LOL

ABC news may have edited / revised Bidens use of "goodest" comment but not USA today as of yet. Video/audio clearly show Biden's childlike grammar in fact spoke and said "goodest". I'm wondering if Xi and Vlad are having a good laugh if this is the "goodest" the feckless democrats can offer. Too funny.

ABC News Full Transcript

Edited by illisdean
  • Thumbs Up 1

The saddest thing was when his missus said" you answered all the questions correctly" like he was a 5 year old who done well in a classroom test.

Anyone who votes for him seriously cannot be concerned about the direction USA is heading.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tug said:

FB_IMG_1720418655962.jpg

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It's not looking good for some on here's preferred candidate.

:whistling:

Quite so. Nonetheless my Absetee Ballot will be mailed voting for the political party having a documented record of favoring the working middle class over the party putting forth the policies of Project 2024. I will vote in opposition to a current candidate who is anathema to everything I support. I have studied far too much history to do otherwise. I fully face that if the majority of American citizen voters do not reject Trump and his old, I will have lost my country.

15 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Quite so. Nonetheless my Absetee Ballot will be mailed voting for the political party having a documented record of favoring the working middle class over the party putting forth the policies of Project 2024. I will vote in opposition to a current candidate who is anathema to everything I support. I have studied far too much history to do otherwise. I fully face that if the majority of American citizen voters do not reject Trump and his old, I will have lost my country.

The sad thing is that you think you're voting for the party of Kennedy and Clinton, but you're really voting for the party of AOC and batcrap crazy.

• Like 2

I don't understand how these politicians think they can get away with all these "exaggerations" and outright lies especially with the increasing growth of fact checking!  Do they think we are stupid, or are they?  Now let's hear the fact checking on Trump!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes. Yes he did.

Is it really called lying when you forget the right things you were supposed to say? Hmm... i do not think Biden outright and deliberately lied. I think it is much worse than that and he is just a confused old man now. Not sure what he is talking about or where he has been and what he has done. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Is it really called lying when you forget the right things you were supposed to say? Hmm... i do not think Biden outright and deliberately lied. I think it is much worse than that and he is just a confused old man now. Not sure what he is talking about or where he has been and what he has done. 

His entire existence is a lie. Everything he says is based upon a much larger lie. Joe Biden lives the lie. 

Joe Biden is a political Milli Vanilli. Somewhere the evil people behind him have a 50 pound bag of lies. On the bag it says direct Joe to the podium, give mic and feed directly from bag.

Nothing against Milli Vanilli we all loved it until the sound system went off and we knew they were a fraud. That's where Joe is at now. It would be like Milli Vanilli having a come back tour. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes. Yes he did.

Of course not, he was the founder of NATO at age 6.  It in our history books.  There has never been amore transparent administration in history, unless you count Obama's.

• Like 1