Learning Thai language with ADHD (help!)(

notrub

• 2 months later...

Go for one on one Thai classes. Ask the teacher to start you off with the alphabet(consanants and vowels) the way a child learns. Learning the mouth structure on the different pronunciations of the same "word" is the most stressful yet important part of Thai.

I'm in the same boat with the ADHD. My wife is teaching our kids, and I'm trying to learn the reading and writing first for a solid foundation.

I also have a solid grasp on the accent as I lived with my Thai inlaws out in the sticks of Udon Thani so I was surrounded by Passa Thai and Passa Isaan constantly.

Take your time, don't feel shame, persistance is key. Sit down and watch a bunch of movies in Thai with English subtitles, preferably something you have seen repeatedly and enjoyed and don't even pay attention to the action on the screen. Just read the words and let the language flow over you and through you.

Thai is not as hard to learn as so many claim it is, it's gatekeeping by those who think they're special because they paid big bucks to go to fancy schools . Here in America you can pick up English/Thai books for children. How can you learn if your cup is already full from the wrong tea eh? 

Most kids in Isaan grow up only speaking and listening to Passa Isaan then have to learn Central Thai when they start Government School. Be as a child my friend, it comes in time if you're taking the same approach as them😁