Parasitic Health Scare Alarms Residents of Lat Phrao Condo

snoop1130

Hives-613550.jpg

A condo in the Lat Phrao area is dealing with a severe health issue due to a parasite infection in their water supply. Over 100 residents are affected, and some could risk losing their sight if not treated on time.

Pook Sukonta Berthebaud, a well-known social media influencer, revealed the concerning situation on Facebook. According to him, residents are being infected by parasites called Acanthamoeba and Microsporidia. This was confirmed through tests done by Chulalongkorn and Siriraj hospitals.

One resident called on Pook to help spread the word about their situation. They mentioned that despite their condo costing nearly 10 million baht, the management has not resolved the issue and asked residents to install water filters themselves. The residents are not happy with this response, arguing it is not enough and overlooks their wellbeing and safety.

Despite the seriousness of the problem, no definite action has been taken by the condo’s management so far. The residents are worried since Acanthamoeba can cause severe eye infections resulting in blindness if not treated promptly. On the other hand, Microsporidia can lead to various health issues, especially in those with weak immune systems.

Residents are using social media and other platforms to express their concerns and request help. They are stressing on the urgency and possible long-term health effects if the situation is not addressed soon.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Can anyone enlighten me to what chemical should be put in the tanks.

call to any swimming pool maintenance company and they will fix this "health scare" in no time. Very pathetic to contact somebody called Pook and steer this mess instead of 1 call. 

And yes, change managing company immediately through signup petition. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2024 at 4:07 PM, NativeBob said:

call to any swimming pool maintenance company and they will fix this "health scare" in no time. Very pathetic to contact somebody called Pook and steer this mess instead of 1 call. 

And yes, change managing company immediately through signup petition. 

If you ever tried to "change management company" you would know this takes years,  lawsuits, police, maybe worse.  It has been mentioned on several threads. 

Managing a condo is a trough nobody will voluntary leave.

If the condo is managed by a listed company (somehow,  I just can't think of any...:whistling:), you cannot change management. 

On 7/11/2024 at 6:56 PM, brianthainess said:

Chlorine.. Superchlor to be exact. It comes in a pack of large circular tablets. Put it in the water tanks, let it sit for a couple of days, drain the tank, rinse out and refill with clean water. There will be a a slight chlorine taste for the first couple of tankfulls but the water will be parasite free. To be 1000% sure rinse and repeat but one application will be sufficient. The Superchlor can be purchased at any pool store quite cheaply. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NaaKap said:

Chlorine.. Superchlor to be exact. It comes in a pack of large circular tablets. Put it in the water tanks, let it sit for a couple of days, drain the tank, rinse out and refill with clean water. There will be a a slight chlorine taste for the first couple of tankfulls but the water will be parasite free. To be 1000% sure rinse and repeat but one application will be sufficient. The Superchlor can be purchased at any pool store quite cheaply. 

That's a lot of wasted water, and who would taste it. but thanks anyway.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Better than going blind I would have thought. I also forgot to say run it through the taps too to clear the pipes 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:56 PM, brianthainess said:

I'm sure chlorine would work just fine. It's perfectly drinkable or consumable in the correct quantities

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:45 AM, brianthainess said:

Given the extremity of the issue I think wasting a bit of water in a building in which condos cost to 10 million baht a unit might be advantageous

Edited by BobDobbs

Yet another answer to the question, "is it a good idea to drink the tap water?"

Years ago, the concensus among posters who knew water systems was that the water coming from the municipal sources left the waterworks fine, but old pipes and poorly maintained storage along the way made it unwise to count on safe drinking water.

Even if the condo management does what they should, I'd still get a filter system, and I'd be prepared to spend some coin on the hardware, and expert installation. And I'd still only use tap water to bathe, and MAYBE to cook boiled food. But why risk it? Bottled water is cheap.

BTW, there's a zillion hawkers of water filters in Khlong Thom market in Chinatown. Obviously, there are plenty of other choices, but it's a great place to compare a bunch of choices in one spot.

Edited by impulse