Vaccine advise

Posted (edited)

Jomtien Pattaya Bangkok Hospital report:

I just got the Pneumococcal vaccine 13 and the high dose High-dose Influenza vaccine  for a total price of 5,170....This includes all fees.  According to their posted prices it should have been 5,770....Not sure why it was 600 lower but there is a promotion running (Thanks Sheryl)...Good service,  in + out in 45 minutes.  Open until 7pm.

I asked the doctor and he said they have the Zoster vaccine and the Tetanus too. I didn't ask prices. His English was limited so I will  try to call them.  He wasn't sure about the covid-19 with Omicron.

Question:  I had my last tetanus shot 14 years ago.  There seem to be a few different ones.  I'm assuming I had polio shots when I was a kid.  Which one should I try to get ??  How long should I wait before I get additional vaccines(Zoster)(Tetanus)...

2 weeks ??  1 month ??   Thank you

Adult Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis+polio vaccine (Tdap+IPV)  
Adult Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis (Tdap)  
 Adult Tetanus+ diphtheria (Td)
Edited by how241

10 minutes ago, how241 said:

Jomtien Pattaya Bangkok Hospital report:

I just got the Pneumococcal vaccine 13 and the high dose High-dose Influenza vaccine  for a total price of 5,170....This includes all fees.  According to their posted prices it should have been 5,770....Not sure why it was 600 lower but there is a promotion running (Thanks Sheryl)...Good service,  in + out in 45 minutes.  Open until 7pm.

I asked the doctor and he said they have the Zoster vaccine and the Tetanus too. I didn't ask prices. His English was limited so I will  try to call them.  He wasn't sure about the covid-19 with Omicron.

Question:  I had my last tetanus shot 14 years ago.  There seem to be a few different ones.  I'm assuming I had polio shots when I was a kid.  Which one should I try to get ??  How long should I wait before I get additional vaccines(Zoster)(Tetanus)...

2 weeks ??  1 month ??   Thank you

Adult Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis+polio vaccine (Tdap+IPV)  
Adult Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis (Tdap)  
 Adult Tetanus+ diphtheria (Td)

Assuming you have not had it in past 10 years, then Tdap

Careful with "Zoster" vaccine, might be the older vaccine and not Shingrix. And therefore much less effective.

Last I heard, BPH had Shingrix but was charging over 7,000 per injection. That info is about 10 months  old.

You can get both Tdap and Shingrix same day but potential side effects (sore arm, aches/brief fever in some cases) may be worse than if given separately. Nothing dangerous just potentially a bit more discomfort for a day or two.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Careful with "Zoster" vaccine, might be the older vaccine and not Shingrix. And therefore much less effective.

It sounds like 'Shingrix' is the best way to go so I will definitely follow your advice and get it...I will need to make some calls to confirm availability.  I see the ThaiTravelclinic in Bangkok is showing the price of Recombinant zoster vaccine (Shingrix® 5,199.

I believe you said 2 doses, 2 months apart.  Even if I have to pay 7,000 that is still not bad as I can save over 6,000 round trip on taxis(2 trips)  and many hours of driving time....Plus they charge a few extra fees:    - ' Doctor fee (200 Baht), Hospital fee (100 Baht), Vaccine administration fee (20 Baht), Registration fee (20baht, only in the first visit) are not included in price list' .... Some people can save more if they can take the bus but the last time I was on a bus was in middle school....hahaha

You are truly a godsend with your wealth of information.   Thank you !!!

2 hours ago, how241 said:

I see the ThaiTravelclinic in Bangkok is showing the price of Recombinant zoster vaccine (Shingrix® 5,199

The new pink line has a station right in front of my bangkok condo so it's easy to goto Travel Clicic.  I paid 6060B on July 1 for Shringrix. As i recall the advertised cost was 5400 not 5199.

The advertised cost does not include doctors fee plus after hour fee outside of certain hours.

Make sure you clear you schedule for the next few days if you decided to take the vaccine, the side effects may make you feel sick. For me it was joint pain, fever, headache, just like a bad flu minus the coughing sneezing.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Make sure you clear you schedule for the next few days if you decided to take the vaccine, the side effects may make you feel sick. For me it was joint pain, fever, headache, just like a bad flu minus the coughing sneezing.

WOW !!!   I have never had any strong reaction like that to a vaccine.  Usually just a sore arm.

9 hours ago, how241 said:

WOW !!!   I have never had any strong reaction like that to a vaccine.  Usually just a sore arm.

Depends on the person. All I had was a sore arm but some people do feel quite ill for 1-2 days

• Thumbs Up 1

Such a reaction is not common but it could happen to anyone. Your previous reaction to another or even the same vaccine doesn't predict what will happen This time. It's standard to be cautious.

• Thumbs Up 1

What corporations do is create markets. Out of this air they just create customers bases using their power and influence. My advice is don’t take anything; you’re not sick for christs sake. I often wonder how I’m the only person who thinks like this. They’ve just manipulated / manufactured a market. Don’t take part in it.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Once sick, it is way too late to be vaccinated.

Pretty much by definition  vaccines must be taken while still healthy.

We are not talking abour medications here but about prevention.

Whether you realize it or not, you have benefitted greatly from vaccination in your lifetime....both ones you almost certainly received as a child and vaccines received by others.

In countries with little or no vaccination,  up to 25% of children die before the age of 5, largely from vaccine preventable diseases. I have worked in such places and seen it first hand.  I personally have friends  permanently crippled by polio. I once accompanied a Westerner dying of rabies on Medivac. (She died anyway, of course....and horribly). I have cared for newborns with neonatal tetanus, something almost never seen in countries with high vaccination rates.

So I have absolutely zero tolerance for posts like yours. 

BTW vaccines for tetanus, diptheria  etc are long off patent and not at all profitable.  As for newer vaccines  still patented but hardly an "invented"  market. Shingles and bacterial pneumonias existed long before the vaccines and are very real. Ditto COVID. 

You really don’t know if vaccines have done more harm than good in the long term. Nobody does. Because it’s not researched (I wonder why). Quick fixes aren’t always answers. So the statements you’ve made can also be reversed. You, even if you know it or not, have suffered deleterious effects of vaccines. The question is always if those effects outweigh the positive effects, which is a very difficult thing to ascertain. 

Look at it this way; are the Amish still alive? Are they going extinct? What are their rates of autism like compared to ours? Or other common maladies? 

20 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

You really don’t know if vaccines have done more harm than good in the long term. Nobody does. Because it’s not researched (I wonder why). 

On the contrary. It is one of the most extrndively researched issues in public health.

Including the alleged autism link  which has been thoroughly disproven through random controlled trials.

The Amish by the way do immunize their children, though coverage rates are lower than national averages.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1