Restaurants and Inflation

Surely this is going on everywhere, not only in restaurants but also in chain shops, either quantities go down or prices go up.
An example at the Makro, anchovis 3 years ago 450 bath for a 680-gram jar, a year ago for the same jar 750 bath, and now 900 bath, so that's a doubling in price....those Thai owners are rubbing their hands together nicely
It's just one example but it's a trend.

Oh, and I forget to mention the wine.
Surely it was announced that this would go down significantly in price, well we see, after months still the same high price.
We are being screwed where we stand.

37 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Surely this is going on everywhere, not only in restaurants but also in chain shops, either quantities go down or prices go up.
An example at the Makro, anchovis 3 years ago 450 bath for a 680-gram jar, a year ago for the same jar 750 bath, and now 900 bath, so that's a doubling in price....those Thai owners are rubbing their hands together nicely
It's just one example but it's a trend.

Thai owners huh?

www.amazon.png.2daeabd0a8db0d0d4ce329b49dfc93a5.png

That's 783 baht in Italy. I can assure you that there are even more expensive options there.

Best you grab a couple at 900 baht whilst you can.

Edited by NowNow
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, NowNow said:

Thai owners huh?

www.amazon.png.2daeabd0a8db0d0d4ce329b49dfc93a5.png

That's 783 baht in Italy. I can assure you that there are even more expensive options there.

Best you grab a couple at 900 baht whilst you can.

Thai owners from the Makro!

Just now, Peterphuket said:

Thai owners from the Makro!

Seems that went right over your head. 

Let me try again. The price in Italy, via Amazon Italy is 783 baht. How much would you expect it to sell for in Thailand after importation cost etc?

makro brand coffee, suddenly more expensive than a brand, so buying the brand instead, lol

I fill a bag in same 2 glass pots, as I did over the years

get less and less volume with seriously increased price as I am not the average TV millionaire pensioner like the rest of you here

11 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Same one in Thailand. Back to you NextG

image.png.36b5db3345e36e72b765c5cb5384c1f4.png

What has that to do with anything? We are discussing MAKRO. Private sellers everywhere can charge whatever they like.

8 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Seems that went right over your head. 

Let me try again. The price in Italy, via Amazon Italy is 783 baht. How much would you expect it to sell for in Thailand after importation cost etc?

What are you trying to say, 3 years ago 450 thb, now 900 thb, in the eu over 20% barrel, here 7%, of course transport costs but they don't import 10 pieces but 10,000. Ever since Makro came into Thai ownership, prices have risen exorbitantly in some cases.

Just now, Peterphuket said:

What are you trying to say, 3 years ago 450 thb, now 900 thb, in the eu over 20% barrel, here 7%, of course transport costs but they don't import 10 pieces but 10,000. Ever since Makro came into Thai ownership, prices have risen exorbitantly in some cases.

You are not making any sense. How many pieces do you think Amazon has in their warehouses? Their price is the cheapest. Try to buy it in a store in Italy and you might be brought to tears. Here a similar product in Italyhttps://olico.it/it/1438-filetti-di-acciughe-in-olio-di-oliva-in-latta-720-gr.html 1053 baht

If the price was 450 three years ago, that means that MAKRO Thailand bought it more cheaply then. Now they are paying much more. So again, if that product via Amazon Italy is 783 baht, for how much would you think MAKRO Thailand should sell it? 750 baht? You think it should be cheaper than Amazon in the EU?

1 minute ago, marin said:

Who is right, nationality or not..

No, he is not. A dish served over rice is not meant to be shared over multiple dishes and that was his sole example.

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

No, he is not. A dish served over rice is not meant to be shared over multiple dishes and that was his sole example.

You are talking about going out for a quick lunch or something like that. When Thai's eat the food is shared with rice being the common dish. A party of 4 would normally order 4 dishes to be shared. Of course there are one dish meals like Kau Ka Mu or Kau man gai, or even one dish kao gang. But for a real meal the food is shared. 

1 minute ago, marin said:

You are talking about going out for a quick lunch or something like that. When Thai's eat the food is shared with rice being the common dish. A party of 4 would normally order 4 dishes to be shared. Of course there are one dish meals like Kau Ka Mu or Kau man gai, or even one dish kao gang. But for a real meal the food is shared. 

No, that not what I was "talking about" it was his example of three or four Asian meals equalling one Western meal. Obviously total nonsense.

• Sad 1

I have noticed that, in general, restaurant standards seem to have slipped dramatically post covid.

smaller portion sizes, price increases, shoddy service, cold beer, the list goes on..

I used to love eating out but now it's becoming a chore.

I think cooking at home with a liter of the red stuff is the way to go moving forward.

bob.

Edited by bob smith

In my experience at a  Thai Restaurant the price of the meal depends on who's ordering, I asked the Waitress  via my Thai Mrs, why are the no prices show for the Meals, the answer was, it depends on who's ordering................We walked out

4 minutes ago, actonion said:

In my experience at a  Thai Restaurant the price of the meal depends on who's ordering, I asked the Waitress  via my Thai Mrs, why are the no prices show for the Meals, the answer was, it depends on who's ordering................We walked out

Walking out?

Just for being told the truth......

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Just for being told the truth......

I think you missed the point.

I too would have walked out and possibly even spat on the floor as I was doing so!

bob.

Edited by bob smith

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I have noticed that, in general, restaurant standards seem to have slipped dramatically post covid.

smaller portion sizes, price increases, shoddy service, cold beer, the list goes on..

I used to love eating out but now it's becoming a chore.

I think cooking at home with a liter of the red stuff is the way to go moving forward.

bob.

I’ve been trying to do that more.  Some of us don’t have much of a kitchen, though.  My condo has a small cooktop.  And I have an air fryer.  I probably need to get a slow cooker.  

So, once a week I go to the grocery store at Central Festival and buy some steaks, fish, and whatever else looks good.  I probably don’t save too much money over what I’d spend eating in a restaurant, but the food is high quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, jas007 said:

I’ve been trying to do that more.  Some of us don’t have much of a kitchen, though.  My condo has a small cooktop.  And I have an air fryer.  I probably need to get a slow cooker.  

So, once a week I go to the grocery store at Central Festival and buy some steaks, fish, and whatever else looks good.  I probably don’t save too much money over what I’d spend eating in a restaurant, but the food is high quality.

Air fryer 😊 What a con 😊 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-co-708-12-i5118263155-s21595881914.html Normal convection fan oven better in every way, for around 700 baht. Though I don't know what kind of idiot decided to depict a green salad in an oven.

spacer.png

Slow cooker a good idea: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-35l-sc-207-i3000171094-s11003939769.html 345 baht plus postage or perhaps pick one up from Lotus for around 400 b

aht.

SC_207.png

The fresh markets are a good source for raw ingredients.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You go to a restaurant for a cheese burger?  You have trouble with the English language.

I do, Cheese burger at V8 fastlane goes good.

image.png.ca1ef092a372471eb42cec701372991f.png

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

I think you missed the point.

I too would have walked out and possibly even spat on the floor as I was doing so!

bob.

I got the point entirely.

I would not have walked out. Do that and you lose IMO........not going back, that is a different story.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just had a Zinger Burger 69bht ......... could have had 5 for the price of that V8 burger.

Some people have more money than sense.

I do hate inverted snobbery.

Buy what you like; if you don't have money (or don't want to pay) then don't buy premium products.

I paid £25 for a burger in Covent Garden and was disappointed - not a patch on the 120 Baht version available at my local bar in Thailand. I have also paid £90 for a bottle of wine which was worth  every Penny.

I've noticed in Chiang Rai restaurant prices have gone up by 10 - 20 baht. A Caesar salad that used to cost 70 baht now costs 89.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just had a Zinger Burger 69bht ......... could have had 5 for the price of that V8 burger.

Some people have more money than sense.

Zinger from KFC ?

Yeah I would not feed them to a stray dog... Rancid masss produced  sh!t they are.

• Haha 1