Thailand’s EV 3.0 policy faces major oversupply challenges

snoop1130

54 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes, I compared the EV drive with the "condo boom and bust" in China.

ev's are produced and sold worldwide, it's not just china. what specific inside knowledge do you have

eg. about Tesla and other car companies from germany and eu countries producing and selling ev's?

it seems like you might not have a comprehensive understanding of ev mobility,

and perhaps you haven't owned or even driven an ev car yourself ... are you an expert?

Edited by motdaeng
spelling
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Too many old and outdated cars on the roads, which contribute to the airpollution, and Thailand is doing nothing about it... They should start with all taxis in Bangkok and Chiang Mai change in modern EV vehicles, provide enough charging places and get rid of the very old trucks, and cars.. It will improve work facilities, and the economy.. Better give some subsidy to a project like this than a 10k handout

So instead of a 'tuktuk' they will have to be named 'whiiiiiiiine'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, connda said:

The CPC are better free market capitalists than Western capitalist who claim to be free market - then they lobby their governments to impose tariffs on Chinese products.

Who benefits from low-priced Chinese products?  I do!  All consumers do.  You people are so damn propagandized by your Western governments and corporations that you demand that they make Chinese imports more expensive so you pay more.  You people are idiots - think about it ffs.

I welcome the low-priced Chinese products.  If I ever buy an EV I expect it will be Chinese.  Funny - all the Western car manufacturers are leaving Thailand.  Thailand raises the minimum wages for Thai workers and Western factories close down and move.  In their place?  Chinese factories which can pay the workers a higher salary and still manufacture products cheaper than Western corporation.  The Chinese are beating the West at their own game and the West and Westerners are sore losers.

:angry:  "You're a Chinese Commie Lover."

Yep - you're right.  They make better products and sell them for affordable prices.  The West now has troubles competing so they b*tch and moan and tell their citizens to "Hate China!"  Sorry - I'm not on the "Hate China" bandwagon.  I'm pro-China and pro-BRI, and pro-affordable products.  In fact I'm pro- any country that can make affordable consumer products.  It the West can't compete.  Leave the market.

:angry: "Commie lover!  Grrrrr."

Get over it.  So feel free to order more expensive products from Western corporation.  Me personally.  I'm joining the other 7 billion people on the planet who want to buy products manufactured in China and who support Chinese and BRICS-based industry. 

Well said...

For those who don't like China or their cars import a Tesla.

It's called comparative advantage and you don't hear about it much these days, but the Chinese have a number of advantages that allow them to produce vehicles cheaper and of higher quality than the <deleted>e you get from Europe or US. Better watch out because some Chinese companies are emulating the Japanese and not the grey haired white men on the board rooms of US/EU companies. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are all reading this wrong.

The warning is about too much demand being filled under the subsidy schemes and the Thai government is concerned about whether the manufacturers can make sufficient required vehicles locally required under the subsidy scheme.

It’s a very badly written article.

The Article is correct its about potential oversupply

EV brands in Thailand should be aware of the minimum 40% local content requirement for Exports through the ASEAN FTA if their not building with a minimum 40% local content the only place they can sell is Thailand

if they build at  full capacity in the years 2024/2025 this will lead to a bloodbath in pricing as there will be more EV built in Thailand with fewer customers available to buy due to stricter finance rules

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/automobile/40039578

52 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The Article is correct its about potential oversupply

EV brands in Thailand should be aware of the minimum 40% local content requirement for Exports through the ASEAN FTA if their not building with a minimum 40% local content the only place they can sell is Thailand

if they build at  full capacity in the years 2024/2025 this will lead to a bloodbath in pricing as there will be more EV built in Thailand with fewer customers available to buy due to stricter finance rules

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/automobile/40039578

You're not reading it right.

The article is about too many imports that are going to be difficult to match up with the required number of locally manufactured vehicles under the terms of the EV3.0/EV3.5 subsidy.

The article is talking about oversupply now leading to breaking the terms of the subsidy later.

There is NOT oversupply for demand currently.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You're not reading it right.

The article is about too many imports that are going to be difficult to match up with the required number of locally manufactured vehicles under the terms of the EV3.0/EV3.5 subsidy.

The article is talking about oversupply now leading to breaking the terms of the subsidy later.

There is NOT oversupply for demand currently.

Its you that is not reading it correctly the article is talking about 2025 not current demand

In 2025 EV makers in Thailand  will need to produce 180,000 units to offset the imports from EV 3.0 and EV 3.5

Based on current sales figures for 2024 to date EV brand's in Thailand could sell 60-70,000 to the Thai domestic market leaving a shortfall of between 100-110 thousand that need to be exported if they meet the conditions of export

If the EV plants produce their  full capacity at 490,000 then they will need to find export markets for 410-420,000 vehicles

The EU-Thailand FTA agreement is still in discussion phases and wouldn't be completed until 2025 and no-one knows the outcome 

Meanwhile BYD is hedging its bets with Turkiye to import vehicles into the EU

Chinese EV giant BYD, Türkiye agree on nearly $1B investment deal

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/automotive/chinese-ev-giant-byd-turkiye-agree-on-nearly-1b-investment-deal

Just now, vinny41 said:

Its you that is not reading it correctly the article is talking about 2025 not current demand

In 2025 EV makers in Thailand  will need to produce 180,000 units to offset the imports from EV 3.0 and EV 3.5

Based on current sales figures for 2024 to date EV brand's in Thailand could sell 60-70,000 to the Thai domestic market leaving a shortfall of between 100-110 thousand that need to be exported if they meet the conditions of export

If the EV plants produce their  full capacity at 490,000 then they will need to find export markets for 410-420,000 vehicles

The EU-Thailand FTA agreement is still in discussion phases and wouldn't be completed until 2025 and no-one knows the outcome 

Meanwhile BYD is hedging its bets with Turkiye to import vehicles into the EU

Chinese EV giant BYD, Türkiye agree on nearly $1B investment deal

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/automotive/chinese-ev-giant-byd-turkiye-agree-on-nearly-1b-investment-deal

Correct.

The other posters are reading it as lack of demand and oversupply currently, that is not the case.  There is not oversupply and weak demand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

No, what you are talking about is a price war for market share.

It has nothing to do with oversupply.

if you need a price war for market share that would indicate that there is a case of oversupply

more vehicles available than buyers with the funds to purchase

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retarius said:

It's called comparative advantage and you don't hear about it much these days, but the Chinese have a number of advantages that allow them to produce vehicles cheaper and of higher quality than the <deleted>e you get from Europe or US. Better watch out because some Chinese companies are emulating the Japanese and not the grey haired white men on the board rooms of US/EU companies. 

The "deleted" cars you get from Europe or USA?

Are you kidding? My 3 latest vehicles, BMW 320d M Sport, 520d M Sport and Ford Ranger Raptor 3.0, V6, are immaculate cars. Love them to death. Supreme quality, supreme tech, supreme transmissions, supreme engines and power, subpreme suspensions, supreme safety, supreme road handling and ride.

You wanna know the range of the BMW diesels? I'll tell you: In excess of 1400 kilometers. And if you want I can tell you how long it takes (in seconds, and in 20.000 places all over the country) to "charge" those BMWs for another 1400 km. Just ask me. :-0

EVs can burn in hell.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

Are you kidding? My 3 latest vehicles, BMW 320d M Sport, 520d M Sport and Ford Ranger Raptor 3.0, V6, are immaculate cars. Love them to death. Supreme quality, supreme tech, supreme transmissions, supreme engines and power, subpreme suspensions, supreme safety, supreme road handling and ride.

You wanna know the range of the BMW diesels? I'll tell you: In excess of 1400 kilometers no matter temperature outside, and everlasting, not deteriorating (if anything the milage improves!). And if you want I can tell you how long it takes (in seconds, and in 20.000 places all over the country) to "charge" those BMWs and Fords, for another 1400 km. Just ask me. :-0

EVs can burn in hell.

And don't even ask me about breaking distances, insurance costs, depreciation, cost of repairs, competence of repair staff (think Somchai, Thailand) and catastrophic fall in new car prices. 

Edited by MartinBangkok
grammar
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

if you need a price war for market share that would indicate that there is a case of oversupply

more vehicles available than buyers with the funds to purchase

Erroneous conclusion

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

You wanna know the range of the BMW diesels? I'll tell you: In excess of 1400 kilometers. And if you want I can tell you how long it takes (in seconds, and in 20.000 places all over the country) to "charge" those BMWs for another 1400 km. Just ask me. :-0

EVs can burn in hell.

All a bit slow and noisy, even the Raptor, my BYD smokes it in silence.

27 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

And don't even ask me about breaking distances, insurance costs, depreciation, cost of repairs, competence of repair staff (think Somchai, Thailand) and catastrophic fall in new car prices. 

Go on then, I'll ask you, tell us about the breaking distances? is that like braking distances? tell us about depreciation?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Erroneous conclusion

Oversupply is a situation where there is more product on the market than consumers want to buy.

In commodities, an oversupply is a period when over production of a commodity pushes the price for that commodity down to a level where the producers are losing money.

Oversupply tends to be corrected through reduced production or discounting, but the time period over which this happens can be longer or shorter depending on the dynamics of the market.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/oversupply.asp

• Like 1