Opening A New Bangkok Bank Savings Account

I wanted to open a new account solely to direct deposit my monthly SSA payments. Presently my SSA payments go to my US bank. I would transfer 65k+ baht monthly to my BBL account to renew my extension on my Thai visa each year. Thai immigration said they will only accept deposits directly from SSA to my BBL. I went to BBL and they gave me a Direct Deposit account, no ATM access, no internet access. I will have to pick up the money in person each month and deposit it in my regular BBL account. If I direct deposited my SSA payments to my existing account they would cancel the ATM access and the internet access for that account. After I received this new Direct Deposit BBL account I called BBL (1333) and they verified this is the correct procedure.

I have been transferring 65k+ monthly for 24 years without a problem, however this is no longer acceptable with my local Thai Immigration.

In the past as long as the incoming deposits were "International Transfer" they were acceptable to Immigration.

The SSA extended the International Direct Deposit (IDD) method to Thailand a few years ago.  

It is now possible to have your SSA benefits sent directly to a "normal" savings account at other Thai banks.  I have heard that the other Thai banks do allow transactions via ATM/debit cards and smartphone apps. 

Both BBL and your local Thai Immigration are being overly restrictive it seems.

Here's the form you need to fill in and send to FBU Manila:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

I would suggest you fill out your portion of the above form and take it with you when you open a new account at a different Thai bank.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. My friend suggested I open a separate account just for SSA direct deposits. He has one with BBL with no restrictions. I will try Kasikorn.

3 hours ago, mackayae said:

I wanted to open a new account solely to direct deposit my monthly SSA payments. Presently my SSA payments go to my US bank. I would transfer 65k+ baht monthly to my BBL account to renew my extension on my Thai visa each year. Thai immigration said they will only accept deposits directly from SSA to my BBL. I went to BBL and they gave me a Direct Deposit account, no ATM access, no internet access. I will have to pickwo up the money in person each month and deposit it in my regular BBL account. If I direct deposited my SSA payments to my existing account they would cancel the ATM access and the internet access for that account. After I received this new Direct Deposit BBL account I called BBL (1333) and they verified this is the correct procedure.

I have been transferring 65k+ monthly for 24 years without a problem, however this is no longer acceptable with my local Thai Immigration.

In the past as long as the incoming deposits were "International Transfer" they were acceptable to Immigration.

There are two ways SS works, Direct Deposit through Bangkok Bank through NY this is called an ACH transfer no card and must withdraw in person, this is what I have had for many years only option when I started. The other way is through an International Direct Deposit can be done at almost all Thai banks. can have a card with this type, this is what my wife has.

Someone posted a link for the International Direct Deposit which I believe is the way you want to go. Not sure if your Bangkok Bank will accept this method, ask them. If not just go to any Thai Bank they will be more than happy to get your money.

That’s a disaster for people for people with non-government pensions. I am baffled why people like to praise immigration when they constantly change rules to screw people over for no reason except to be cruel. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mackayae said:

Thai immigration said they will only accept deposits directly from SSA to my BBL.

I thought Thai immigration allowed international transfers to show as proof of your money being sent. What you say makes no sense simply because there are many that do not get their money from SSA. Immigration should not care how you get your money, only that it is sent to thailand from outside Thailand. I have not read or heard about any new laws that say differently. Is Udon changing the rules? 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I thought Thai immigration allowed international transfers to show as proof of your money being sent. What you say makes no sense simply because there are many that do not get their money from SSA. Immigration should not care how you get your money, only that it is sent to thailand from outside Thailand. I have not read or heard about any new laws that say differently. Is Udon changing the rules? 

I think so. We got a new immigration chief last year. A friend went for his retirement extension (17th) with his BBL printout of all deposits. I did the same in January (24th time).