Foreigner and Thai woman get into heated argument on BTS (video)

37 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It fascinates me.

In Thailand, there are so many unscrupulous people and this society doesn't seem to mind. Such a wide variety of immoral acts are considered "okay"

But the F word is consider so bad in Thailand, like swearing is the worst thing you can do here. lol

And they don't stop swearing in thai when talking with each other.   

• Agree 2

An impolite rude non-Thai lost the plot. Incorrect, would call for an apology but is it really newsworthy? I've heard much worse among and between Thais and never ever read anything anywhere. 
It remains a fact though that Thais are among the most selfish people you can meet. I've had issues in the MRT and the BTS on the subject; all Thais inside the train are glued to their little screens pretending that nothing happens whatsoever around them. A slight touch with a finger to a shoulder and "sorry, please let me pass, will you please?" always did the trick as they are to insecure to say a word and hence - make way. 

This grouping at the entrance though is not a Thai exclusivity. In some countries they managed to let passengers in at the beginning of the train and the exits are at the back of the train with a separating wall at the respective station. In case of emergency all doors open, otherwise you have to get into the train in the front. Many buses (i.e. Hong Kong) you'd board in the front to pass the driver where you threw in the fare into a cashbox with a transparent window to check, if the correct fare was paid. In Switzerland's past you got into the last door of the trams or busses and passed a sitting conductor selling tickets while the vehicle moved again. 

And look what can be achieved with a CCTV and a corresponding announcement 😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

As an Aussie I am well versed in the more colourful language. There is a time and place though. This guy's an idiot who seems not to understand what country he's in.

One day at the old Bangkok train station on the platform a Thai guy was sleeping on a bench with his case on the next seat. there were no spare seats on the whole platform so I asked him in Thai to excuse me, he never heard so I moved his case off the seat and sat down, he then woke up and started shouting at me obviously in Thai so I just looked at him and laughed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

thanks for pointing out that he is an expert in English grammar usage, most would not have picked up on that point and just considered him to be rude, crude and ignorant. 

No problem 😛
Yep, he's likely rude, crude, and ignorant, but generally speaking, I think any native English speaker innately understands these things, but virtually never thinks about it and probably wouldn't be able to describe it if asked. Just like how so many native speakers couldn't explain many facets of grammar of their own language.
He is beyond expert, he's native.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im a yank....tell me more about the stereotypes you carry in your mind?....how many guns do i have? do i like cheeseburgers??

why are you ranting like old man sleepy joe ? where did i say anything about american stereotypes ? 

only you did.

i simply pointed out that he is american and attached witty humor to it that you took personal offence too. hit a nerve did i ?

generally how you reacted is called projecting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sig said:

Well, your first usage of f*** is similar to the way he used the word, not particularly polite and perhaps rude to some people - debatable. Your second usage, however, is very different than how he used it. He did not swear AT her, as you did, and as the news story claimed he did. He was using it as a modifier (often used as an intensifier - an adverb, or simply to modify a noun), just as you did in your first usage. Your second usage was definitely swearing AT him. I don't think that is as debatable, and would pretty much universally be considered rude. Generally speaking, his telling her to shut up would be considered rude, more so than using "F***" as a modifier. It may be crass, but rude? A very subjective judgement.
And his claiming that she doesn't speak English is a stupid, ill-informed statement. It may or may not have been intended as an insult. Being that he showed already how crass he is, it could be that he was just continuing in that manner, speaking his mind. Telling how he believes things to be, very directly. Although, I can fathom such scenarios... personally, would I have been surprised if that woman's husband or boyfriend cold-cocked him? Nope. And I probably would have liked it. What was going through his head is anyone's guess. I reserve my right to subjective interpretation 😆

ok f***er.

7 hours ago, ravip said:

Just a small question, for my education purpose, as I am totally ignorant about this subject - sorry.

Do people in any country use the F word (other similar 'colorful' words) when communicating between immediate family members too - Parents, children, siblings etc. etc.?

Yes is the answer, and you don't need to look very far for examples, simply switch on your TV any weekday evening and tune into either Amarin Tv or Thai Rath and watch their nightly news show.   There are many reports about  domestic Thai on Thai incidents, every one  accompanied by  video clips from numerous mobile phones. Even if you are unable to understand Thai the number of "bleeped out" words should answer your question.

• Agree 1

A post breaking community rules has been removed.

Rule 14. You will not post slurs, degrading, or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture, Thai institutions such as the military, judicial or law enforcement system, or specific locations within Thailand.

6 hours ago, ravip said:

WOW! Really? Family gatherings must be so enjoyable and pleasant.

Never realized until today such pleasantries existed!

Lovely countries, lovely people...I wish I had the blessing to experience those before!

you have obviously lead a very sheltered life

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

you have obviously lead a very sheltered life

I guess so, and I am glad about it.

NEVER used that language with my parents, siblings etc. Nor do I use it at office, Christmas parties and the like.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Yes is the answer, and you don't need to look very far for examples, simply switch on your TV any weekday evening and tune into either Amarin Tv or Thai Rath and watch their nightly news show.   There are many reports about  domestic Thai on Thai incidents, every one  accompanied by  video clips from numerous mobile phones. Even if you are unable to understand Thai the number of "bleeped out" words should answer your question.

I guess you just popped in and commented of my post without even knowing why I made it!

My question ws>>>

Do people in any country use the F word (other similar 'colorful' words) when communicating between immediate family members too - Parents, children, siblings etc. etc.?

I don't know why you ask me to tune in to  Amarin Tv or Thai Rath.

Do YOU use that type of language with your immediate family members - Parents, children, siblings etc..? And is that the normal language you use at family gatherings, such as birthday parties or Christmas parties etc.?

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry can't be asked to read 5 pages of comments, but I wonder how she would react if told she was Forking Beautiful, or wow your clothes are Forking nice. Unfortunately when Thais hear the F word they immediately take it as swearing not knowing it is in the English Dictionary. On a home visit by Immigration, I was asked to show my bank book as I came out of my room I dropped it and let go a f * *k . he threatened to revoke my extension. Mucking Fental.    

Totally agree, the correct  use of expletives is the one sure fire way to separate the native speakers from the others. I have never met a non native speaker who  understood the intricacies of full spectrum of meanings and the  correct usage of the word  "forking"   I have seen many try and without exception they invariably end up looking ridiculous

listen to these pair if you want an example  

Unfortunately the Thais are unable to grasp the intricacies either and many have simply decided that it is a "naughty" word in the same way that a child might arrive at that conclusion, having been told as much by their parents without any details having been explained to them

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ravip said:

I guess you just popped in and commented of my post without even knowing why I made it!

My question ws>>>

I don't know why you ask me to tune in to  Amarin Tv or Thai Rath.

Do YOU use that type of language with your immediate family members - Parents, children, siblings etc..? And is that the normal language you use at family gatherings, such as birthday parties or Christmas parties etc.?

You asked about colourful words being used in family situations and I directed you to a place where you could witness this first hand. I thought that was obvious

Are you not a native english  speaker?   Do you not understand that we are discussing expletives?  Do you have no concept of the purpose of expletives or the situations in which they are normally used?. Are you not aware that  there are people who , as a result of a limited vocabulary , are inclined to use expletives often in inappropriate situations as they are ill equipped to express themselves with less emphatic language.?

I genuinely thought that any reasonably well informed native speaker would be aware of this

As far as I am concerned,  "Happy forking Christmas or Birthday" would be perfectly acceptable  amongst my mates, or siblings, with children it would depend on their age, I would not say it to a six year old, but no issues saying it to a 16 year old, it  depends on the kid in question and whether or not i feel  they fully understand the intricacies of the correct usage of the word.  My parents are no longer with us but there were no issues using the word with my father  in the case of  my mother who  occasionally let a few expletives slip out   when extremely stressed/ angry / or frustrated,  a simple happy birthday was sufficient

You seem remarkably uninformed on this subject

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

You asked about colourful words being used in family situations and I directed you to a place where you could witness this first hand. I thought that was obvious

Are you not a native english  speaker?   Do you not understand that we are discussing expletives?  Do you have no concept of the purpose of expletives or the situations in which they are normally used?. Are you not aware that  there are people who , as a result of a limited vocabulary , are inclined to use expletives often in inappropriate situations as they are ill equipped to express themselves with less emphatic language.?

I genuinely thought that any reasonably well informed native speaker would be aware of this

As far as I am concerned,  "Happy forking Christmas or Birthday" would be perfectly acceptable  amongst my mates, or siblings, with children it would depend on their age, I would not say it to a six year old, but no issues saying it to a 16 year old, it  depends on the kid in question and whether or not i feel  they fully understand the intricacies of the correct usage of the word.  My parents are no longer with us but there were no issues using the word with my father  in the case of  my mother who  occasionally let a few expletives slip out   when extremely stressed/ angry / or frustrated,  a simple happy birthday was sufficient

You seem remarkably uninformed on this subject

You seem remarkably uninformed on this subject - YES!

Each to his own :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

You seem remarkably uninformed on this subject - YES!

Each to his own :coffee1:

are trying to appear superior?    I suggest you give up 

48 minutes ago, ravip said:

I guess so, and I am glad about it.

NEVER used that language with my parents, siblings etc. Nor do I use it at office, Christmas parties and the like.

glad to f@cking hear it  now if you will excuse me I have to get back to the real world     Jesus is that the f@cking time already

Edited by Bday Prang

21 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

are trying to appear superior?    I suggest you give up 

:cheesy: Losing face issue? OK. You are the undisputed winner!

Edited by ravip

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

glad to f@cking hear it  now if you will excuse me I have to get back to the real world     Jesus is that the f@cking time already

Yep, each to their own real world - enjoy :post-4641-1156694572:

7 hours ago, Owiee said:

You hit the nail on the head, this is Thailand and it’s Thai behaviour, if you don’t like it or it upsets you move on, there is no need to carry on. 

So we should all be running round like little bitches accepting any $h1t that is thrown at us by Thais until we simply can't accept anymore and then politely leave.?  Eternally grateful that we were ever allowed to come here in the first place?     

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1