Bringing dog to Thailand for 3-6 months

Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully I can stay for 6 months, I feel that is a long time to leave my dog with someone else at a kennel, but perhaps it is a better option now looking at the requirements.  She is used to tropical climate, so I don't think weather would be an issue. I would stay in Phuket and rent a small home with a yard if I brought her with me.  

1 minute ago, AnotherOneHere said:

For the past 7 years I'm looking for a hotel in Bangkok (anywhere) and for a hotel in a Pattaya (under 15 minutes from beach) that will accept me with a 10+ Kg dog.

In 7 years I have zero. 

I know one in Hua Hin Takiap

Surf and Sand

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

also Green Gallery Hua Hin 

I had hopes to bring my dog with me for travel inside Thailand, but gave up. Most dog friendly hotels only allow handbag dogs I found out. 

Edited by Hummin

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I had hopes to bring my dog with me for travel inside Thailand, but gave up. Most dog friendly hotels only allow handbag dogs I found out. 

I've found it not too bad .. ... and Mrs C is quite persuasive in a charming way ..... helps a lot 555 !

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I know one in Hua Hin Takiap

Surf and Sand

24 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

also Green Gallery Hua Hin 

I'm literally saving URL to this thread just to keep names of the mentioned hotels. That's how rare it is here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

For the past 7 years I'm looking for a hotel in Bangkok (anywhere) and for a hotel in a Pattaya (under 15 minutes from beach) that will accept me with a 10+ Kg dog.

In 7 years I have zero. 

Most don't accept dogs, and those that do, usually not over 10 kg.   Our dog is at the 10kg mark, and it's a challenge finding hotels that take them.  Especially mid or higher end, which will usually have a silly pet fee or silly rules, like, can't leave dog in room alone.

Booking.com has good info for pet friendly, usually accurate, but you have to call to verify.   Most hotels we find from Gmap, by simply calling and asking.  So a Thai partner is almost essential.

You should have no problem finding pet friendly in Patts, as booking.com show plenty.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Most don't accept dogs, and those that do, usually not over 10 kg.   Our dog is at the 10kg mark, and it's a challenge finding hotels that take them.  Especially mid or higher end, which will usually have a silly pet fee or silly rules, like, can't leave dog in room alone.

Booking.com has good info for pet friendly, usually accurate, but you have to call to verify.   Most hotels we find from Gmap, by simply calling and asking.  So a Thai partner is almost essential.

You should have no problem finding pet friendly in Patts, as booking.com show plenty.

Yes, but all of them with 10 Kg limit.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

In 7 years I have zero. 

Let us know if you find one, so we can avoid it. There is one well known one off Sukhumvit where residents complain about left alone dogs barking all day!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

At our place we had one bungalow only for dog owners who booked with a dog, for a extra fee because of cleaning needed to be done after. Also only one bungalow because of customers who where allergic who then we for sure could give a dog free bungalow. 

Some customers had no limits and kept them in the bed, and also when leaving them alone, kept every neighbours annyed with hours with barking, and all of them claimed their dog never done that before 😄

Another problem, customers who had heard we where dog friendly, just booking for themselves an did not booking the dog making problems for us, trying to adjust leaving customers unhappy since they had to pay extra fees as well. 

My experience, always call and ask if bringing a dog, or anything else you wondering about. 

However in Norway, not Thailand. 

41 minutes ago, Hummin said:

At our place we had one bungalow only for dog owners who booked with a dog, for a extra fee because of cleaning needed to be done after. Also only one bungalow because of customers who where allergic who then we for sure could give a dog free bungalow. 

Some customers had no limits and kept them in the bed, and also when leaving them alone, kept every neighbours annyed with hours with barking, and all of them claimed their dog never done that before 😄

Another problem, customers who had heard we where dog friendly, just booking for themselves an did not booking the dog making problems for us, trying to adjust leaving customers unhappy since they had to pay extra fees as well. 

My experience, always call and ask if bringing a dog, or anything else you wondering about. 

However in Norway, not Thailand. 

All understandable, and TBH, if I had rental property, it would be 'no pets' :cheesy: 

Pet owners are some of the worst here.   Wife just gave the dog a bath, as we're O&A tomorrow.

We travel with top bed cover (& broom), rarely use GH linen/blanket, unless low temps, and wife leaves the room as clean, or cleaner when we leave.  Our dog won't bark, unless someone at the door, but never continuous (verified) as others.   Unless we're actually walking around town, we'll take her with us anyway, and she hangs out in the car if we're munching.   Also not a chewer.

Worst situation, if we did an planning oops  and needed to stay where she wasn't welcome, I'd just leave her in the car, w/AC on all night.  Doesn't use much battery.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:03 PM, Chetzee said:

that's and big dog .......  is it fit or fat ?   if overweight even during rainy season it is likely to struggle with the heat and humidity .....

I have just brought my fit 33 lb    Lab over from the Uk permanently .   .....  I can tell you that he has taken best part of 3 months to acclimatise , and was pretty sick during the first month getting used to new local bacteria ....

the people who handled his crating and delivery on the same flight as myself were both excellent at Heathrow and BKK .and I would highly recommend them .   there's a fair bit of paperwork and all vaccines inc rabies need to be up to date and at least 21 days old .

but to be frank , if you are not staying here permanantly  I would not recommend this to you for the sake of your dog ......  and have you thought about quarantine going back the other way ?   

My dog is on the fit side, we live in a hot and humid climate for most of the year in the USA.  Yeah, the new local bacteria may be an issue.  How sick was your dog?   I don't know if we have quarantine here in the USA.  I understand it may not be worth it if I'm not there permanently, but 6 months still feels like a long time to be away from my dog.  I will have to reconsider the length of my travel, and maybe keep my trip down to 3 months while my dog stays at home.

• Agree 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:56 AM, Travel2000 said:

Hi all.  I am interested in going back to Thailand for 3-6 months (depending on the Visa I get), and want to bring my dog with me. My dog is approximately 45 pounds, so I don't know if I can bring her on a plane with me.  I have heard of companies that help take care of all the paperwork and shipping, not sure which ones are legit.  Does anyone have advice on the best way to do this, who to contact?  Any help is appreciated

Mister there are 3 solutions for your problem:

1 You go through all the paper hassle. You pay everything and everyone involved. You follow the quarantaine rules. And most important you don't forget the brown enveloppes.

2 You do as any sane male. You leave kids, wife, dogs, blow-up-doll home

3 This one I would strongly advice to you, You book a stay in a mental asylum were dogs are allowed.

• Sad 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, AnotherOneHere said:

In 7 years I have zero. 

I always find hotels/resorts who except my Labrador. 

Just call and ask.

VERY easy!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

We have brought pets to Thailand from UK twice.  One a cat, one a dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel). 

Strong recommendation is use an agent to handle everything.  It saves a lot of uncertainty and stress.  

Mutley's breed is naturally long haired. We have his hair cut every 6 weeks, and give him nice showers regularly.  He has had no problem at all adapting to Thailand. 

20240505_105310.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Travel2000 said:

My dog is on the fit side, we live in a hot and humid climate for most of the year in the USA.  Yeah, the new local bacteria may be an issue.  How sick was your dog?   I don't know if we have quarantine here in the USA.  I understand it may not be worth it if I'm not there permanently, but 6 months still feels like a long time to be away from my dog.  I will have to reconsider the length of my travel, and maybe keep my trip down to 3 months while my dog stays at home.

U.S.A  has a 28 day Quarantine for any dog that" has not" had its Rabies jab, if coming from Thailand,... if it has  had the Rabies jab i don't know if/ or how long is quarantine..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

I always find hotels/resorts who except my Labrador. 

Just call and ask.

VERY easy!!!

Agreed.  We have stayed at Cocco Resort in Pattaya, they loved our dog. 

• Like 1