Alcohol Sales Prohibited in Thailand on July 20-21, 2024

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

well if  you are trying to say that  the taste of beer  is so delicious that simply  being deprived of the ability  to savour it or "appreciate it "  for just one day, is enough to justify all this whinging, then yes , I have to agree, we are all different , and some are more different than others.

As you are so interested about it why not spend the dry days reading about it and increasing your knowledge, or is that not as much fun as knocking a gallon or two back ?

Lol. You couldn't be more wrong. Firstly I can easily do without alcohol. When I first came here I did the Buddhist Lent alcohol abstinence for 3 months at a time. I haven't done it for the last few years because my Thai partner stopped. Even so, I keep a record of my alcohol consumption and will often go days or weeks without, if I wish. I'm lucky in that I don't have a compulsive or addictive nature. 

Secondly, I have an extensive knowledge of beer. I know my Tripel from my Doppelbock. In just the last few years since I've been keeping records I've tasted 25 Belgian beers, 30 German, 39 Thai and a number of others.  

Some beers are delicious, some are awful. My quest is to find the best available. And I never get p*ssd. I do it for enjoyment

Thank you for your concern though. 🙂

17 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

A recent phenomena which, I think seems to have increased since this website changed ownership.   So many people start ranting and raving without actually reading the full article.  They get so triggered by the first few words, that they appear to be unable to control themselves, and  the urge to post something expressing either outrage or indignation transcends all else, including the fear of looking stupid

No, it predates any forum ownership change. This misinformed knee-jerk reaction to Thailand's long-standing alcohol SALES restriction on religious holidays has been a non-issue since forever.

16 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

And ignoring the point that as I pointed out it directly affects many people. You still seem unwilling to accept this.

It does not bother me personally as for a few years now I have only gone out twice a week. I never have drink in at home, here I'd rather have a cup of tea.

So your multiple posts about something that you admit to personally not doing very often is because you feel the anguish and loss of those who can't seem to get by with a night or two off?

That's nice. I am sure they're happy to have your support.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:33 AM, dinsdale said:

all because of some Buddhist dictate. 

Most Thais abstain from alcohol on religious days as a sign of respect, which is a virtue that you clearly lack.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sidneybear said:

Most Thais abstain from alcohol on religious days as a sign of respect, which is a virtue that you clearly lack.

Most Thais do not in my view.

Most Thais are Buddhists when it suits them.

• Agree 1

On 7/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, Thumbs said:

No alcohol, what about weed? What about cigarettes? What about meat/fish/eggs? Prescription drugs? Mobile telephone and computers, motor vehicles, sugar and related products 

Weed is about to get banned permanently. As for sugar, I didn't realise that Buddhism forbids it.

On 7/21/2024 at 12:52 AM, sidneybear said:

Weed is about to get banned permanently

The details of which have yet to be finalised ,but I can guarantee it will still  be easily available, with no   special restrictions or crackdowns  on buddha days or at election time ,  Just like before

On 7/21/2024 at 12:54 AM, sidneybear said:

"Most" is a tricky word. I suppose it depends who you hang out with 🙂

So you hang out with deeply religious Thai's        was that an intentional choice?  

On 7/20/2024 at 4:41 AM, NanLaew said:

No, it predates any forum ownership change. This misinformed knee-jerk reaction to Thailand's long-standing alcohol SALES restriction on religious holidays has been a non-issue since forever.

I really didn't write that very well.  You are right , its been like that regarding the alcohol sales restrictions for years, I just assumed it was the pickled brains of those  who manage to sober up enough to post on here, that were unable to properly understand the details due to being traumatised by the often scaremongering headlines.  Words like "alcohol ban"  tends to send them all bit crazy  

But its not just on threads like this, its common nowadays , particularly on threads discussing what some would describe as sensitive matters, that some get so offended at a deliberately shocking headline, they will launch into a tirade, spewing out comment after comment without actually reading the article attached to the headline. which in many cases on this site has little in common with the headline at all.

On 7/21/2024 at 6:45 AM, sidneybear said:

A "virtue" clearly lacked by the Thais buying their beer and spirits from my local mom and pop shop yesterday (Sun) and all the other Thais across Thailand. You have your own pious ideals but as with religion in general it's not based in reality.  

On 7/20/2024 at 4:13 AM, Baht Simpson said:

, I keep a record of my alcohol consumption and will often go days or weeks without, if I wish. I'm lucky in that I don't have a compulsive or addictive nature. 

Secondly, I have an extensive knowledge of beer. I know my Tripel from my Doppelbock. In just the last few years since I've been keeping records I've tasted 25 Belgian beers, 30 German, 39 Thai and a number of others.  

Are you sure you don't have an obsessive/ compulsive nature ?   keeping a record of ones alcohol consumption would certainly indicate something along those lines.

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A "virtue" clearly lacked by the Thais buying their beer and spirits from my local mom and pop shop yesterday (Sun) and all the other Thais across Thailand. You have your own pious ideals but as with religion in general it's not based in reality.  

not based in reality but firmly founded in hypocrisy 

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you sure you don't have an obsessive/ compulsive nature ?   keeping a record of ones alcohol consumption would certainly indicate something along those lines.

It's just a rough guide. I don't obsess over every last ml.

You wouldn't be serious losing weight if you didn't look at your calorie intake and you wouldn't be serious exercising if you didn't keep a record of your physical effort. It's much the same with alcohol only you have much more to lose.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to keep a note of how much of a potentially health-affecting substance they're pouring down their throat. I guess the graveyard is full of them.

In any case I have a spreadsheet and it's about 10 secs a day to record. A small price to pay for staying within llimits. It's not for everyone I know but I enjoy all aspects of drinking except getting p***ed which I grew out of in my mid twenties.

2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

It's just a rough guide. I don't obsess over every last ml.

You wouldn't be serious losing weight if you didn't look at your calorie intake and you wouldn't be serious exercising if you didn't keep a record of your physical effort. It's much the same with alcohol only you have much more to lose.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to keep a note of how much of a potentially health-affecting substance they're pouring down their throat. I guess the graveyard is full of them.

In any case I have a spreadsheet and it's about 10 secs a day to record. A small price to pay for staying within llimits. It's not for everyone I know but I enjoy all aspects of drinking except getting p***ed which I grew out of in my mid twenties.

A spreadsheet as well !!   Ok so you don't record every last ml. but as you claim to never get drunk its unlikely you are drinking a life threatening amount, is it really worth it ?      

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

A spreadsheet as well !!   Ok so you don't record every last ml. but as you claim to never get drunk its unlikely you are drinking a life threatening amount, is it really worth it ?      

I orginally started a few years ago as an exercise to see exactly what my alcohol consumption was, as I had no idea. I know that my alcohol consumption has decreased year on year, so I probably could not keep a record now. I started after I increased my alcohol intake after a tragedy a few years ago and I wanted to keep tabs on it. 

On 7/23/2024 at 12:30 AM, dinsdale said:

"All the other Thais across Thailand" (just because you saw people buying booze in a local shop) is a ridiculous thing to say, and even implies that you are Thai yourself. Why come and live in a culture defined by its religion, if you despise it so much and openly disrespect it? What drove you here in the first place? Charming culture, or prostitutes? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:18 PM, Bday Prang said:

And that includes the monks 

No, it doesn't, unless you're using a tiny minority to slur an entire group of worthy religious men who uphold decency. It's a bit like saying that all people are thieves and murderers just because a tiny fraction of one percent are. A fallacious and ridiculous positiion ever there was one.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

No, it doesn't, unless you're using a tiny minority to slur an entire group of worthy religious men who uphold decency. It's a bit like saying that all people are thieves and murderers just because a tiny fraction of one percent are. A fallacious and ridiculous positiion ever there was one.

You appear to live in a parallel universe , completely removed from reality. No idea how long you have been here but you seem to have sourced your knowledge of Thailand and their religious convictions purely from official TAT published tourist guides . A ridiculous and dangerous position indeed.

You should get out a bit more and consider taking off the rose coloured glasses

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

You appear to live in a parallel universe , completely removed from reality. No idea how long you have been here but you seem to have sourced your knowledge of Thailand and their religious convictions purely from official TAT published tourist guides . A ridiculous and dangerous position indeed.

You should get out a bit more and consider taking off the rose coloured glasses

A whole lot of word salad. A tiny minority of monks might break their vows and misbehave, and they are defrocked when caught. For you to hold them all in contempt is sheer nonsense, and totally insulting to Thai culture. Next you'll be complainig that Thais don't like you. Be careful criticising teh national religion, in case it (hopefully) gets you chucked out of the country., back to the soulless dump you came from. Good riddance to people like you.