JK Rowling Claims Puberty is the Best Cure for Gender Dysphoria

Social Media

image.png.48912fd9ef25b5e0153a258bcfdc3702.png

JK Rowling, the famous creator of the Harry Potter series, has once again sparked controversy by sharing her views on gender dysphoria and gender-affirming care for transgender youth. In a recent post on social media platform X/Twitter, Rowling suggested that the best way to address gender dysphoria in children is to allow them to go through puberty naturally.

Gender dysphoria is a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress due to a mismatch between their gender identity and their sex assigned at birth. It can manifest in three main ways: physically, socially, and mentally/emotionally. Despite the increasing advocacy for gender-affirming care, Rowling's latest remarks have reignited the debate over how best to support transgender children.

Rowling's post came in response to a broadcast by Talk TV featuring Labour culture secretary Lisa Nandy, who defended the current ban on private prescriptions for puberty blockers in the UK. Rowling shared the video with the caption, “the times they are a-changing,” and reiterated her belief that letting children go through puberty naturally is the best approach. She argued, “The vast majority of children grow out of gender dysphoria if allowed to go through puberty. The single best cure is letting nature take its course.” To support her stance, Rowling cited research from 2022.

Her comments quickly drew responses from various experts, including psychiatrist Jack Turban. Turban pointed to a study highly rated by the recent Cass Review into trans youth healthcare, which found that those who accessed puberty blockers for adolescent gender dysphoria had better mental health outcomes. The ensuing exchange between Rowling and Turban highlighted the polarized views on this issue.

Rowling's assertion that most children outgrow gender dysphoria if allowed to go through puberty contrasts sharply with findings from a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. This study revealed that gender-affirming care, including the use of puberty blockers, significantly improves the mental health of transgender teens by enhancing positive emotions, life satisfaction, and self-confidence.

Further supporting the benefits of gender-affirming care, an analysis published in the American Journal of Surgery in April examined regret rates for various significant life decisions and medical procedures. This research, which collected data from three medical research databases, showed that regret rates for transition-related surgeries were considerably lower than those for having children, abortions, or knee surgery.

The debate over how to best support transgender youth remains contentious, with strong opinions on both sides. While Rowling advocates for a more conservative approach, emphasizing natural puberty, many medical professionals and studies highlight the positive impact of gender-affirming care on the mental health and well-being of transgender individuals. As discussions continue, it is clear that more research and dialogue are needed to ensure the best outcomes for transgender youth.

Credit: Pink News 2024-07-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Rowling dropping truth bombs again.

She used to be a darling of the left but a few home truths about trans issues and they've all turned on her like a pack of hyenas. 😃

• Agree 2

I'm fine with her expressing her opinions about anything at all.

I actually like and admire her and see nothing in what she was said on trans issues that would justify cancelling or hating her. 

But she's not a credible expert on these issues.

So her opinions have the same value as some random person you meet on the street.

She does have her areas of expertise and credibility.

They don't include trans issues.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

The article is, at best, disingenuous.  It mentions the results of several studies, but doesn't mention the results of the NL study that supports her position.  Holds her out as having nothing...

Here's a decent summary, with some good follow on links.  This is the statement that caught my eye:

Another recent study, published in Finland earlier this year, found that providing adolescents with transgender drugs or surgeries did not provide any statistically significant reduction in suicide deaths. Rather, the study found that higher rates of suicide appear to be rooted in the high rate of mental health comorbidities among youths who identify as transgender.

https://ewtn.co.uk/article-study-from-netherlands-most-children-outgrow-transgender-inclinations/

I'd add that I'm not a fan of her work.  Not a detractor, but it holds no appeal to me.  

Edited by impulse

Well imagine that. Let your boy go through puberty before cutting his pecker off. That is some seriously reckless parenting especially if you aren't a doctor. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m fourtunate that I have never been conflicted about my sexuality im male and I am attracted to women never a doubt nor curiosity towards males.that being said I don’t think people choose to be trans they just are……but I do agree with the author about waiting till after puberty before making irreversible changes to a kids body just make sense.what I find absolutely astounding is the amount of attention this tenney tiny sliver of the population brings out in people that’s un natural and is being pushed for political reasons.my compassion to any one who is conflicted about their sexuality and to their families as well that’s got to be tough to navigate.