Shocking slump: Thailand’s premium EV sales plunge 35%

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Not the first time this has been posted, and it still hasn't got any funnier.

It's your wife.......?    😱...........................🤣

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Denim said:

Actually there are some very good second hand cars in the 150,000 baht range if you look around. 7 years ago I paid 150,000 for a 2003 Vios in immaculate condition with low mileage and only 2 previous owners. If I sold it now it would only fetch 90,000 ish but still in great shape , good bodywork and interior etc and has been extremely mechanically reliable. It just takes patience and shopping around.

I know many people would not consider an older car as a loss of face or worries about reliability can be an issue but if you know anything about the workings of an ICE engine and just want reliable , cheap transport then no problem.

Current example : 138,000

gallery_-one2car-toyota-vios-e-sedan-thailand_c4509368-14f8-4aee-b702-c7d94a22c693.jpg.webp.6b1407d8533ceb204160d607feeee50e.webp

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/toyota-vios-e-กรุงเทพและปริมณฑล-อำเภอบางกรวย/14282907

Good points.

The best way to protect the environment is to keep the same car for many years, or buy second hand.

The manufacturing process of these new EV's is terrible for the environment. 

My sister in law is trying to offload her EV due to the inconvenience of charging on long trips, but the prices she has been offered by dealers is woeful and it is only a year old.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

My sister in law is trying to offload her EV due to the inconvenience of charging on long trips, but the prices she has been offered by dealers is woeful and it is only a year old.  

Please post details, I'm interested

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

@JonnyF Please post details I'm very interested.

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

@JonnyF Please post details I'm very interested.

It's a BYD Atto 3. 

Send me your details and I will ask her to contact you. Car is currently in Phuket. 

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Your sister in law should have sought some advice from EV owners on this forum. If she frequently does long trips or just doesn’t like to wait whilst doing a long trip, EV owners on this forum would have discouraged her from purchasing an EV in the first instance.

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The manufacturing process of these new EV's is terrible for the environment. 

How is the manufacturing process for an EV worse than for an ICEV? Genuine question.

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

How is the manufacturing process for an EV worse than for an ICEV? Genuine question.

I'm talking about the entire process from start to finish. Mainly the mining of precious materials such as Lithium/Cobalt, often in very dangerous conditions in poor countries using child labour.

Let's also wait and see what happens to all the old EV's in 10 years time, and how they are disposed of, particularly in developing countries where cost/convenience often supersedes environmental concerns. 

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm talking about the entire process from start to finish. Mainly the mining of precious materials such as Lithium/Cobalt, often in very dangerous conditions in poor countries using child labour.

Let's also wait and see what happens to all the old EV's in 10 years time, and how they are disposed of, particularly in developing countries where cost/convenience often supersedes environmental concerns. 

Mining of Lithium isn't a problem and most EV's don't use Cobalt anymore, it's only high-performance versions that use Cobalt, enlightened EV owners here prefer not to buy EV's with NMC batteries because they last half as long as LFP and are more prone to thermal runaway. With Thailand's hot climate, LFP is a much preferred battery.

EV batteries are predicted to last 20 years and there is a burgeoning market for second use in solar power installations.

It also makes sense to recycle them as mining lithium is expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are talking about Cobalt.

None of my family's EV's have any Cobalt in them.

This dicussion is about EV's in general. Not your specific cars which may or may not contain cobalt (many lithium batteries do).

You may charge your cars with solar, but most people do not. Many people charge them with electrictity from coal powered stations. Many people own EV's that contain cobalt. 

It's a bit like saying there is no soi dog problem in Thailand because you keep your dog inside the house. 

Besides, lithium mining has it's own environmental issues.  

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

This dicussion is about EV's in general. Not your specific cars which may or may not contain cobalt (many lithium batteries do).

You may charge your cars with solar, but most people do not. Many people charge them with electrictity from coal powered stations. Many people own EV's that contain cobalt. 

It's a bit like saying there is no soi dog problem in Thailand because you keep your dog inside the house. 

Besides, lithium mining has it's own environmental issues.  

Most EV's in Thailand have LFP batteries and use no Cobalt.

Whether the power to charge them comes from coal or not is irrelevant unless Thailand doesn't have a plan to transition to renewables, which it does. Currently, 12% of Thailand's electricity comes from renewables, the government has a plan to more than triple that in the next 12 years. And it will continue past that.

The switch to EV's and renewables is all part of a master plan.

What environmental issues does mining Lithium have?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Whether the power to charge them comes from coal or not is irrelevant unless Thailand doesn't have a plan to transition to renewables, which it does. Currently, 12% of Thailand's electricity comes from renewables, the government has a plan to more than triple that in the next 12 years. And it will continue past that.

Thailand's government has lots of plans. Many never materialize. Even if they do, until then most people are charging their EV's from non renewable sources which kind of defeats the purpose.

The switch to EV's and renewables is all part of a master plan.

EV's are a flawed technology. A stop gap. Like Betamax tapes. 

What environmental issues does mining Lithium have?

image.png.fddb584544253fe60739466e07822a52.png

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand's government has lots of plans. Many never materialize. Even if they do, until then most people are charging their EV's from non renewable sources which kind of defeats the purpose.

EV's are a flawed technology. A stop gap. Like Betamax tapes. 

image.png.fddb584544253fe60739466e07822a52.png

The CO2 over the live of the vehicle more than covers the upfront production & water is a renewable resource.

I'm interested in why you think EV's are a stop gap solution, what do you see as the final solution?  Hydrogen?

• Like 1