Koh Panyi vendors slammed for fleecing South Korean YouTubers

The government wants local people to visit tourist areas, but why should they off they are going to get ripped off? 

Personal security is Fortnite in the mind of many people. Knowing they will have to overpay for everything will lead to people staying at home as "couldn't be bothered." 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The criticism later escalated into religious discrimination, as some netizens stereotyped Muslim people as being tricky

More of a southern Thai thing than a Muslim thing.

They all do it, and feel entitled to it in the South. Taxis, restaurants, shops all do it in the south

Unfortunately most tourists who come to Thailand end up in the South at some stage and the southerners give all Thais a bad name.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“My friend and I went to Koh Panyi a few years ago. We ordered fried sea bass with fish sauce, and it cost us 1,600 baht. My friend and I were in shock!”

Did they not look at the menu or ask how much ?...........:post-4641-1156694572:

Everywhere can be a tourist trap.  Street vendors in NYC, London, Paris, Beijing, etc. will be just as quick to overcharge tourist as the vendors on Koh Panyi.  Tourists have been overcharged by locals for as long as people could be divided into tourists and locals. It's so common an occurrence every tourist should be aware of it and not pay outrageous prices.  Tourists will always pay somewhat more than locals, but should know enough not accept prices higher by a huge margin.

Edited by Evil Penevil

Two days ago I was shopping in Tesco with my wife. After we paid our bill a lady shouted at us to come back and for a moment I thought we must have forgotten to pay for something. We walked back and she asked to see our bill and then told us because we had bought more than 750 baht worth of items we were eligible to receive a set of 3 knives plus a potato peeler at the incredible price of 200 baht.

On accepting this wondrous offer we were then told we needed to also buy a set of saucepans at yet another incredible discount. We declined this kind offer, much to the lady's disgust.

Can I now look forward to all Tesco stores in Khonkaen being closed down following this terrible attempt at a scam or will I need to first open up a Youtube channel?

Warning - the above contains sarcasm.

Seriously, they bought items worth 800 baht, paid with a 1,000 baht note and then accepted a necklace in lieu of the 200 baht change and that is newsworthy?

Edited by nahkit