Thai Immigration Officials Uncover ID Trading Scheme Through Chinese Billboard Ad

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The investigation revealed that Mr. Xin Ling, a 33-year-old Chinese national, was involved and is on China’s most-wanted list for “Illegally trading ID cards”. He is the husband of Ms. Su Na, a 35-year-old Chinese national. Thai Immigration investigators have added him to their watchlist and temporarily revoked his residency.

You're leaving on a jet plane, don't know if you'll be back again...

• Haha 1

Huh?

Xin Ling a "most-wanted" dude got some kind of Thai residency revoked? 

Article requires investigation or better editing.

Nobody wants me and I can't get "residency".

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Immigration investigators have added him to their watchlist and temporarily revoked his residency.

He was a permanent resident, then? Don't you need to go through a very thorough check for those, and aren't they extremely limited in number?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Immigration investigators have added him to their watchlist and temporarily revoked his residency.

He was a permanent resident, then?

Not very likely as his soon-to-be deported wife wasn't quoted as having that privilege, lost in translation...'residency'/permission to stay...more likely.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

I am sure Thai Immigration know the law better than me, but effectively she is being prosecuted for buying a service - or maybe the fact that she made the arrangements for the ad to be produced was the transgression.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I am sure Thai Immigration know the law better than me, but effectively she is being prosecuted for buying a service - or maybe the fact that she made the arrangements for the ad to be produced was the transgression.

She was offering the service, not buying it, as the full OP states.  She was prosecuted, fined, jailed (suspended) and banned for working without a permit.

I meant buying advertising space, effectively buying a service. The point here is that it is not illegal to come and buy something in Thailand, but yes, if she was actually contacting clients then that arguably is work - didn't read the article and there was no mention of her "admission" in other reports, just that she was being prosecuted for buying the ad/having the ad made up.

41 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Seems to be something of a mismatch between her luggage and her ride.

Imagine turning up at the airport in that. In fairness she wouldn't be dropped off at the entrance but taken to the deportation holding area.

I'm guessing that a 40 year old loser teacher having been caught teaching on a TR and without a work permit would have received harsher treatment and penalties. Amirite?

The really hilarious thing is how everyone was all up in arms about the Chinese being written on the billboard. These stupid jingoists.. the idea that you have to get some sort of permission to post in a different language it also stated in another article that they weren't interested in necessarily and approving what was being posted by just that they could post in another language lol. Drive down any freeway in Southern California and I imagine you'll probably see you three or four different languages.