Buying a Motorbike

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a motorbike, I'm currently in the UK married to a Thai girl but wanting to buy a motorbike now to be ready for me when arrive in Thailand in Sept. I'll be entering on a non immigrate B visa and will be in Thailand for 4 months. The seller is wanting the money now. Can I buy the bike in my name or do I need to put the bike into my wife's name ?

You won''t be able to put it in your own name if you are not in Thailand so don't send money now..it would be easier to put the bike in your Thai wife's name but you can jump through the extra hoops to put it in your name if you insist on that,however again send no money without being in country to see the bike and related documents first..there are no shortage of bikes for sale, wait till you get here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Send the money to your wife and she can pick it up with the paperwork/green book. After you arrive you can transfer the title/ownership to your name

• Agree 1

• A copy of your passport main page, current visa stamp, and departure card. (TM card)
  • A Certificate of Residence.  (Or Affidavit of Address from your Embassy or copy of Work Permit.) 
  • The bike’s original registration booklet. i.e. tabien rot (green book).
  • A photocopy of the current owner’s ID card (or passport if they are a foreigner), which should also be signed by the current owner.
  • A copy of the current owner’s House Registration book, which shows their address. This should also be signed by the seller.
  • A copy of the document applying to transfer ownership, signed by the current owner. (This is available at the Land Transport Office).

You need a Residence certificate and the above documents.

• Like 1

There's so many bikes for sale here, why not wait until you arrive?  Then you can see it, test ride it, and transfer ownership to yourself.

Also, good condition newer bikes with a green book are often so close to the cost of a new bike it's not worth the hassle of buying used.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

There's so many bikes for sale here, why not wait until you arrive?  Then you can see it, test ride it, and transfer ownership to yourself.

Also, good condition newer bikes with a green book are often so close to the cost of a new bike it's not worth the hassle of buying used.

Many good bikes from foreigners who just have the bike sitting hardly used them, or for some reason leaving in a hurry. 

If I was going to make some money in Thailand, it would be buying and selling used bikes from foreigners.

Often loaded with extras you can sell separately.