How to answer the dreaded question ''What is British food like?''

I've heard there is a secret UK government department which goes around maternity wards, removing the taste buds of all new-borns.

It would explain the British fondness for cold pork pies, jellied eels, and warm beer.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeff the Chef said:

Andy Capp's Commando's or Any C@nt can Cook 😉

Hardest course in the British Army, no-ones ever past!!!!!🙃🙃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding british food I have  a kind request: Pls do not post pictures of a british breakfast on FB etc without a trigger warning for nausea 😉

PS: I love the UK but the food is not good sorry to say.

PPS: German food apart from the bread and pastry are not too good either.

10 minutes ago, stat said:

Regarding british food I have  a kind request: Pls do not post pictures of a british breakfast on FB etc without a trigger warning for nausea 😉

PS: I love the UK but the food is not good sorry to say.

PPS: German food apart from the bread and pastry are not too good either.

I think the same about Thai food, I love being here, but food wise.........😝

6 hours ago, gargamon said:

image.png.88c0a8153204a0a3cfc7a76da7d9dc15.png

Oh, yum. Blood pudding. 😘

Yep, had a double blood pudding egg burger with edam slices for lunch yesterday. Black pudding from Greens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

image.jpeg.21ea6582d07553b55e94736c63389d83.jpeg

This Delicacy is Cumberland Sausage from my neck of the woods in the UK its that good Buckingham Palace gets it delivered.

Edited by BarraMarra

4 hours ago, stoner said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?   Aren't you American?

Americans can't have an opinion on British food  ? 

I didn't say that, my comment was a ironic reflection of his hypocrisy, you know, an American calling British food bad!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Yep, had a double blood pudding egg burger with edam slices for lunch yesterday. Black pudding from Greens.

This is exactly the kind of picture that would warrant a trigger warning for anyone not being from the british isles 😉 If you own a restaurant that has any non english customers I highly recommend not using those pics 😉

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

They were British people who created it , stop being racist and saying that they aren't British 

I know your sort already troll, stop being a troll

Just now, CallumWK said:

I know your sort already troll, stop being a troll

You stop being racist , all that stuff about dogs being born in stables are not horses is racist .

A British person created the dish in Britain 

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

You stop being racist , all that stuff about dogs being born in stables are not horses is racist .

A British person created the dish in Britain 

Welcome to my ignore list troll. I didn't make any racist comment.

I'm sure very few still get notifications of your posts, and this is now one less

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Welcome to my ignore list troll. I didn't make any racist comment.

I'm sure very few still get notifications of your posts, and this is now one less

You did state that a British man was Indian , people with British passports are British .

Unfortunately , you will still get a notification of my posts l, but you will now have to click on them to read them 

15 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Cheeses:

Minger, if you're brave enough. Banned on Aircraft. Reportedly the Worlds smellest cheese.

Ten Major UK Food Companies:
Tesco ''Lotus'' worldwide supermarkets, unfortunately Tesco pulled out in 2020 and sold it's stake to CP Group of Thailand. 

Ten British Wines That Are Recognized Around The World:

Also,

Camel Valley in Cornwall, been winning awards since 1993, 3 years after Bob Lindo started the vineyard. 

Ten Michael Star Restaurants in the UK:

Le Gavroche, regrettably closed in January this year.

British celebrity chefs:
Roger Verge, Roger Vergé technically is French.
Pierre Koffmann, technically French.
Gregg Wallace, technically a Greengrocer not a chef.

Also,

Angela Hartnett

Michael Caines

Cracking list Chris.

Couple of updates and a couple of personal additions. 

Personal favorite Chef of mine is Rick Stein, however he never was awarded a Michelin Star, his quote from 2018 might explain a lot "...they are only given to  chefs serving small portions of over-embellished food".

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

More "As you know" nonsense.   I have never been asked that question once in seventy-two years, never mind every single day, multiple times, not by, either, "little" French men or  massive Yanks.

Me too! I've never been asked by anyone, in my life, about food from my home country or any other country I've lived in, yet the OP is asked at least once a day... It never comes up in conversation.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

This is my advice for British expats.  As you know there is not a day that passes without a random little French guy or American asking you what British food is like.  It can happen multiple times in one day.

How not to talk about food if you are British:

We got f all mate.
Not sure really.  Mc Donalds is good.
Yeah it's pretty bad haha.

A better way to answer:  Thank you for your question.  Here is a list of information pertaining to British cuisine:

Starters & Snacks:

Cheeses (cheddar, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester, Wensleydale, Lancashire, Yorkshire Blue, Stilton, stinking bishop, Shropshire Blue, Cornish Blue, Smoked Applewood Cheddar, Shropshire Sheep Cheese)
Boiled eggs and soldiers, pickled eggs, scotch eggs, egg salad sandwich
Bacon, sausage rolls, Cornish pasties, pies (savory - steak and ale, Lancashire hotpot, fish pie, etc.)
Puff pastry (used in savory pastries)
Cold cuts (ham, roast beef)
Baked beans on toast, jacket potatoes, coleslaw
Marmite, brown sauce, tomato sauce, mustard, chutneys (mango, cranberry, mint, tabasco), international sauces
Crisps (potato chips)
Welsh rarebit
Salads (a vast selection)
Soup (mushroom soup, lentil soup, pasta soup, chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, vegetable soup, cream of broccoli soup, pea and ham soup, minestrone soup)
Kebabs
Fish fingers
Savory pastries (cheese and onion pasties, pork pies)
Twiglets, pork scratchings (savory snacks)
Scotch quail's eggs
Black pudding
Crumpets with butter, marmite or jam
Samosas
Deviled kidneys
Prawn cocktail
Sausage rolls with brown sauce or ketchup
Crisps with salt and vinegar flavor
Pickled ginger
Branston pickle (a popular British pickle relish)
Pork scratchings with apple sauce or mustard

Main Courses:

Full English breakfast
Eggs (other breakfast dishes - omelettes, poached eggs, cheese and ham omelette, curried eggs, egg flan, eggy bread)
Roast dinner (roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, vegetables, gravy)
Fish and chips
Lamb with mint sauce
Vegetarian dishes (pasta bakes - tuna pasta bake, spag bol, broccoli and cheese pasta, macaroni and cheese, sweet and sour beef stir fry)
Rice dishes (pilaf, curries, fish and rice variations, steamed ginger fish and rice, salmon and rice, cod in parsley sauce with rice, mince and rice, ragu mince and rice, sardines and rice, meatballs and rice)
British Indian Food
British Chinese Food
British Italian Food
Chicken Tikka Masala (British Invention)
Outdoor barbecues
Toad in the hole (sausages cooked in Yorkshire pudding batter)
Steak and kidney pie
Cottage pie
Shepherd's pie
Lancashire hotpot (a hearty beef and vegetable stew)
Bubble and squeak (a traditional British dish made with leftover potatoes, cabbage, and onions)
Liver and onions
Beef Wellington
Bangers and mash
Chicken tikka masala
Steak and ale pie
Jellied eels
Corned beef hash
Cumberland sausage with mash and onion gravy

Sandwiches - The sandwich was invented in England in 1762:

Fish finger sandwich, chip butty, BLT, fried egg sandwich, corned beef sandwich, tuna sandwich, cucumber sandwich, ploughman's lunch, roast beef and horseradish sandwich, Christmas dinner sandwich, egg and cress sandwich, ham and mustard sandwich, Branston pickle and cheese sanwich, crisp sandwich, watercress sandwich, marmalade sandwich, jam sandwich, prawn mayonnaise sandwich, piccalilli and cheese sandwich, cheese and tomato sandwich, cheese and onion sandwich, Coronation chicken sandwich, Smoked salmon sandwich

Biscuits, Cakes & Pies (sweet):

Pork pie (can be savory or sweet)
Custard creams, shortbread, chocolate digestives, jam tarts, scones (plain, jam, blueberry, cheese), Battenberg cake, jam roly poly, apple pie, victoria sponge, mince pies, rice pudding, spotted dick, sticky toffee pudding, carrot cake, trifle, jelly and custard, hot cross buns, gingerbread man, after eights, twiglets, monster munch, quavers, retro sweets, jelly babies, vast range of crisps and confectionaries.

Desserts:

Banoffee pie, Dundee cake, Chelsea buns, gypsy tart, Mr. Kipling's cakes, butterscotch tart, fresh cream cakes, apple crumble, black forest gateau, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, treacle sponge, choc ice, jam and coconut school cake, pineapple upside-down cake, fruit salad, strawberries and cream, Eton Mess, Bread and butter pudding, American Pie (British Invention)

Beverages:

Tea, coffee, beer, whisky, gin and tonic, soft drinks (horlicks, ovaltine, etc.), mulled wine, Irn-Bru, Lucozade, Ribena, Vimto

Breakfasts:

Toast with various toppings (marmite, scrambled eggs, etc.)
Cereals (a high-quality selection)
Full English breakfast (can be a main course too)
Crumpets
Eggs (all types - boiled, fried, scrambled, poached)

Other:
Bread (a vast selection - soda bread, tiger bread, etc.)
Condiments (mustard, brown sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup, chutneys, pickles)
Rice (a vast selection of flavors and recipes)

Ten Major UK Food Companies:

Cadbury

Rowntree's
Terry's of York
Bassett's
McVitie's
Associated British Foods (ABF)
Premier Foods
Unilever
Tesco ''Lotus'' worldwide supermarkets

Ten British Wines That Are Recognized Around The World:

Chapel Down English Sparkling Wine
Nyetimber Classic Cuvée
Hush Heath Estate Balfour Brut Rosé
Ridgeview Estate Bloomsbury
Bolney Wine Estate Bubbly
Tinwood Estate Rosé
Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve
Winbirri Vineyards Ortega
Black Chalk Classic
Hush Heath Estate Balfour Brut

Ten Michael Star Restaurants in the UK:

The Ledbury
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay
Core by Clare Smyth
The Waterside Inn
Le Gavroche
L'Enclume
Alyn Williams at The Westbury
Pollen Street Social
Sketch (The Lecture Room & Library)
Hélène Darroze at The Connaught

Ten achievements that show the UK's place in the global culinary landscape:

Michelin Stars - Continually awarded annually. For instance, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay has held three Michelin stars since 2001.
World’s 50 Best Restaurants - For example, The Ledbury was ranked 27th in 2014.
James Beard Awards - UK chef Heston Blumenthal was honored in 2010 for his contribution to culinary arts.
The World's 50 Best Bars - Dandelyan (now Lyaness) was named the World’s Best Bar in 2018.
The Good Food Guide Awards - Continually updated annually. For instance, The Ledbury was named Restaurant of the Year in 2014.
International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) - Chapel Down won the International Wine & Spirit Competition Award in 2015 for Best English Sparkling Wine.
The International Hotel & Property Awards - The Langham, London received the Best Hotel Design Award in 2016.
San Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants - The Ledbury was ranked 27th in 2014 and 19th in 2017.
GQ Food & Drink Awards - Gordon Ramsay was named Chef of the Year in 2015.
Global Restaurant Awards - The Ledbury was named one of the World's 50 Best Restaurants in 2015.

British celebrity chefs:

Nigella Lawson
Gordon Ramsay
Ainsley Harriott
Michel Roux Jr.
Heston Blumenthal
Marco Pierre White
Gordon Ramsay
Sat Bains 
Prue Leith
Paul Hollywood
jamey oliver
Antony Worrell Thompson
Lesley Waters
James Tanner
Delia Smith
Roger Verge
Pierre Koffmann
Nichola McHugo
Paul Hollywood
John Torode
Gregg Wallace 
hairy bikers
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

How about you?  Are you a simp that just says we won't have any decent cuisine or do you try to educate the person?

If you're going to copy and paste, word for word a post from r/british, a subreddit for British people, you should at least give credit to the original author.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_20240728-020506_Chrome.jpg.6bdf33381c93d919a1dc82bdc3182e16.jpg

Yes, but what type of Gordon's. In the UK we get Gordon's in the green bottle, which now (last 10 years or so) is gone slightly oily. Luckily out here we get Gordon's yellow, ie the export stuff in the yellow labelled bottle. Much better. 

However, the magic is in the mixer, which with Schweppes (originally from Genova in Italy, and now owned by Coke-Cola, so not technically British) turns it into a slightly sweet drink. If you can, use  Fever Tree as no artificial sweetners used. Much more refreshing. And it's British.

20 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

image.thumb.png.53fdb6e8eb5f0f7f723f561988aa5e83.pngThis is what my Brit friend considers a "tasty snack".....cheap toast doused with 'Whorechestshirley' sauce to the point where it's soggy, topped with chemical cheese. And this MF owns a large restaurant!

Culinary savages.

or an individual's taste: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/151147-an-easy-breakfast-iwanori-mayonnaise-toast

spacer.png