To all you Thai speakers out there!

32 minutes ago, Captain Flack said:

I have removed a number of bickering, baiting troll posts, if you choose to continue with these personal attacks then you will start enjoying a posting holiday.

Hey Captain, before you take any drastic action I think you need to take a good look at Bob, without Bob sanity would return here.

So, on the humorous side of this.

When we are in the US we tend to always use English, often she'll talk Lao to son and Grandson, I'll talk Thai and Spanish since we'd like him to get them all.

In Thailand at home we use Lao, outside the home  it's a mix of Thai and Lao, very rarely English

Back in the US I always know when Mrs G is really really mad at me, cos it's always a tirade in Lao!

Edited by GinBoy2

Part of the joys of being multilingual is you really know when you partner is pissed off with you and reverts to the base language. For me I'll go off on her in Spanish, which in some ways is more satisfying since I know she doesn't understand Spanish!

I never give a second thought about speaking Thai.  I'm in Thailand, so I speak Thai.  When I'm in Laos I speak Lao. When I'm in Burma I speak Burmese 🙂  Thai's never give me a second glance when I speak Thai, although occasionally they compliment me. 

Since I avoid most 'farangs' like the plague, (with exception for those few who are not mad, drugged up or of a criminal nature), the need to speak English rarely arises....

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:14 AM, simon43 said:

I never give a second thought about speaking Thai.  I'm in Thailand, so I speak Thai.  When I'm in Laos I speak Lao. When I'm in Burma I speak Burmese 🙂  Thai's never give me a second glance when I speak Thai, although occasionally they compliment me. 

Since I avoid most 'farangs' like the plague, (with exception for those few who are not mad, drugged up or of a criminal nature), the need to speak English rarely arises....

My Thai isn't that great but I know important words such as numbers etc. I also know all the bad words fluently as I just copy her indoors when she throws an Issarn wobbly.

I can confirm that Thais do speak very rudely in Thai about Bob.

Everywhere I go I hear it. Taxi drivers and prostitutes probably the worst, but even in 7/11, banks, restaurants etc.