Completely disheartened Canadian seeking advice to bring Thai gf or wife to Canada

I am.....shocked and now totally depressed finding out that it is going to be next to impossible to bring my girlfriend to Canada to visit even if I married her, in fact marrying her would make it MORE difficult which seems like complete insanity to me.  Especially considering Canada lets in new immigrants and refugees by the thousands every year.  But wont allow a citizens spouse in... Im flabbergasted.

I came to Thailand about 2 years ago to hopefully find a wife, I had lived here before for over 10 years so was used to long term relationships with Thai women.  I met my current girlfriend about 18 months ago and we have lived together for over a year now.  We are deeply in love and want to get married and start a family.  I wanted to bring her to canada just to visit and make sure the idea of living there fulltime would be ok in the near future.  I knew that tourist visas were very hard to get for Thai women but always assumed that if worst came to worst I would just marry her and get her a marriage visa..... that visa no longer exists thanks to the conservative government back in the day.  And its now actually impossible to get a tourist visa if shes married to a canadian.  As they will be convinced she will stay past her tourist visa expiry to live in Canada full time.  She has no ties to Thailand and quit her job recently so absolutely no way she can get a tourist visa.

As for marrying her.... Im totally willing to do that, its the plan anyway, but I have been in Thailand the past 2 years, the requirement to get her spousal sponsorship is that I show my notice of assessment showing my income, I did work a bit but spent most of my time in Thailand with her as this relationship is currently the most important thing in my world, I want to make a family, Ive never been married or had kids before.  So my income will not show the required amount to sponsor her.  Regardless of the amount in my bank account.  Correct?  Its all about the money you are "currently making?" to prove you can sponsor her?

What really freaks me out is even if we had 3 kids together, and I brought the kids (canadian citizens) to Canada, she wouldnt be allowed to visit her own kids... this is insanity to me.  And same if we have kids and they are in Thailand I will be forced to go live in canada for a year or more and work to prove I can sponsor her and THEN she can come with my kids and I dont get to see them for over a year?  more insanity..... The whole system seems completely bizzare, its a non starter that I have to leave the love of my life or my potential kids for an extended period of time to get to live in my own country with my family.

So ya if anyone has more info I would be greatly appreciative.  Can I sponsor her SOMEHOW if we get married even though my current notice of assessment will show a low income?  Whether by a large sum in my bank account or a cosigner or something?

Is there ANY WAY to help her get a tourist visa such as money in her account, or is it all simply about her ties to thailand such as property, job, whatever to try to prove she will return.

I saw the old threads about this topic but am looking for fresh recent information since things do change as time goes by.  I mean at one time Canada had a marriage visa....

Thankyou 

Edited by TheLaughingMan
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

The last paragraph might be of help:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) relies primarily on documentation from employers, financial institutions, and the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) to assess income and proof of funds. They will also look at other supporting documentation to get a holistic picture of the sponsors financial situation.

If the sponsor is employed, the following documentation should be provided:

• Employment Verification Letter (an ofifcial letter from the employer indicating job title, dates of empoyment, duties and responsibilities, and the wages or salary given)
  • Pay Slips / Pay Stubs (generaly, slips for the most recent three pay periods sufficient)
  • Notice of Assessment from the CRA (Canadian Revenue Agency) for the most recent taxation year

If a sponsor's employment income is above the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) corresponding to their location and family size, this is generally enough to satisfy the financial requirement.

If a sponsor is not employed or has a low income, they should provide a detailed explanation of how they are going to support their spouse once they become a permanent resident. In addition, the sponsor the sponsor and the sponsored person should provide alternative documentation, which may include:

• Bank statements showing sufficient cash savings
  • Proof of other income (such business income, retirement benefits, investment income, etc)
  • Proof of assets (such as a house or apartment)
  • Employment proof for immediate family members, if they provide the family with financial support
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Canuck friend brought his prospective Thai wife to Canada by employing her in his company last year. Not exactly your situation, but maybe if she had a job contract waiting a work visa would be the way to go.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 2:55 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

She has no ties to Thailand and quit her job recently so absolutely no way she can get a tourist visa.

On 7/28/2024 at 2:55 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

or is it all simply about her ties to thailand such as property, job, whatever to try to prove she will return.

this is your first issue that needs resolved. i have been through all of this and believe me it is not easy indeed.....but very much possible. ask my canadian passport holding thai wife. 

more than willing to answer or help out in any way  i can. i know it seems daunting but you need to realize this kind of thing is going to take years of your life.

i returned to canada for over a year before my wife came. 5 plus years for her to get citizenship.  

Edited by stoner
  • Like 1

I'm American so I know the laws are different. I tried twice to get my girlfriend a tourist visa and failed. I was retired, so I came to Thailand and will got married. After 6 months, I was able to apply at the US embassy in Bangkok to fast-track her getting a spouse visa. I had the same problem as you since I had a good bit of money in the bank, I had no real income. I needed to find a financial sponsor. A friend of mine said he would do it and filled out all the papers. As it turned out, they didn't use him as a sponsor and let me sponsor her, but I think seeing someone else who was willing to help sponsor her helped.

On 7/28/2024 at 1:55 PM, TheLaughingMan said:

this is insanity to me

been there, done that. its ok for illegal immigrants to move their families in but not us, many generation citizens. @stoner knows his stuff so good to ask him info if you need. 

FYI... unless you have lived 20 years MINIMUM up to 40 years capped in canada after the age of 18 you will not be entitled to any pension. if your wife moves there and thinks canada is great for its bennies she will have to do her 20-40 years as a citizen before being entitled to a pittance of a pension.

if you are married and you sponsor her and for some reason you get divorced and she goes on welfare.... you will have to reimburse the gvt.

i've been saying it a long time... canada, particularly quebec, sucks!!!

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

unless you have lived 20 years MINIMUM up to 40 years capped in canada after the age of 18 you will not be entitled to any pension.

i need to look at this one. last info i had on OAP was 10 years after 18. i didnt see anything about pension.

1 minute ago, stoner said:

i need to look at this one. last info i had on OAP was 10 years after 18. i didnt see anything about pension.

sadly its 20... i am 10 months shy of 20...

Edited by Pouatchee

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

but i will be entitled to 150$ or so quebec provincial pension after 60... the 20 years is at the federal level... forgot to mention that

I am Canadian who is married to a Thai citizen and last year she received her Canadian permanent residency. We went to Canada and returned back to Thailand because she has a relatively high paying job in Thailand.

Your post is full of ridiculous inaccuracies and before you start blasting immigrants about their easy access to Canada maybe you should realize that if it wasn't for them (especially those pesky HK Chinese who bought overpriced real estate) Canada would be in worse place than mexico with no healthcare and no social security. Canada is in business of importing immigrants...that's what it does to survive.

Our application took 2 years to be approved. We paid around $3000 to hire an immigration lawyer to do it for us. You can do the application yourself, but there is a lot of things that can be confusing and every wrong entry/missing signature will delay the application further.

You do not need any financial requirements to sponsor your wife. However you will need a lot of proof and the application itself is a lot of work. They do ask for a lot of evidence. 

My had valid US visa and Australian visa before we applied and yes it would be difficult for her to get a tourist visa if she is married simply because immigration officer would suspect she would not leave.

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

can you show where the pension is 20 so i can read a little. 

old age security. he is correct 20 years. 10 years is for guaranteed income supplement, but you don't get that if you don't live in Canada.

31 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

we have 2 different ones right. cpp and oas. i thought oas was only 10 years. sorry wrote oap before. 

ok looked. 20 years if you are living outside canada. 10 if living in. 

If you are living in Canada, you must:

• be 65 years old or older
  • be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident at the time we approve your OAS pension application
  • have resided in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18

If you are living outside Canada, you must:

• have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada
  • have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18

now if one retains a resident status in canada you can easily get qualified for the 10 year. retaining a resident status is not too difficult. 

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

If you are living outside Canada, you must:

• have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada
  • have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18

this one applies to me

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

now if one retains a resident status in canada you can easily get qualified for the 10 year. retaining a resident status is not too difficult. 

i am all ears and you can pm me if you know how to circumvent the 20 yr thingy... but dont you still have to pay tax? lemme know

Just now, Pouatchee said:

this one applies to me

i am all ears and you can pm me if you know how to circumvent the 20 yr thingy... but dont you still have to pay tax? lemme know

the 20 years is new to me as of today when you told me. that effects me now as well.  as it stands i don't have 20 years in. i might have to stay in canada for a few more years. saskathewan or out east are the only options. circumvent the 20 years might take some fancy work but i am sure it can be done. 

my wife is just on 10 years total from living in canada. she will qualify for cpp as its not nearly as restrictive. 

To qualify for a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) retirement pension, you must:

• be at least 60 years old
  • have made at least one valid contribution to the CPP

the minimum cpp payment is approx 700 dollars. 

All the English speaking white majority countries make it hard for Thais.

And anyone who isn’t white.

in the UK we have big demonstrations against immigration. Thousands “marching” in the streets.
For Trump supporters in the USA immigration is the biggest issue.

The general narrative is if immigrants are farang they are ok.
Because they assimilate well. 
Non Christians are also shunned.

Thais are brown Asian Buddhists. Back of the queue.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

the minimum cpp payment is approx 700 dollars. 

years ago i called the federal pension plan office and that is when i found out about the 20yrs. i will get the provincial one no matter what... but is like 100$ a month or so. if i get my 20 yrs i will get something like 150$ a month. the minimum of years in really pays crap... 

not sure, but i think the 700$ is for maximum payout... then again... quebec is always different than anywhere else

15 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

years ago i called the federal pension plan office and that is when i found out about the 20yrs. i will get the provincial one no matter what... but is like 100$ a month or so. if i get my 20 yrs i will get something like 150$ a month. the minimum of years in really pays crap... 

not sure, but i think the 700$ is for maximum payout... then again... quebec is always different than anywhere else

You have different rules for quebec. All I need for cpp is 1 payment. Be over 60 and ill get the 700 a month. Oas is around the same payment but with the stipulations.

Max current cpp payment is around 1300 or so. 

Edited by stoner

15 minutes ago, stoner said:

You have different rules for quebec. All I need for cpp is 1 payment. Be over 60 and ill get the 700 a month. Oas is around the same payment but with the stipulations.

Max current cpp payment is around 1300 or so. 

if i move to another province for 10 months... i wonder if i could get the 700.

if memory serves... your from ontario, right?

5 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

You are not providing  complete information.

For Canadian residents, they can qualify for Old Age pension at 65 years+, are a Canadian citizen or a legal resident and have 

have resided in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18.

For Canadian citizens living outside Canada, they can qualify they can qualify for Old Age pension at 65 years+, are a Canadian citizen or a legal resident on the day before they left Canada and have have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18.

In addition is an old age guaranteed Income supplement, and the respective  Canadian or Quebec work pension plans, which are relatively generous.

If the 20 years applies to you, it is because you were not living in Canada and most likely not paying taxes sufficient to fund the  pension obligation.

In respect to the spousal visas they are difficult to obtain because of the risk of human trafficking. The US and Canadian approach is the same and it is based upon there having been a problem with  women trafficked in until the visa rules were tightened. There was a big problem in Canada with eastern European women brought in for sex work, and that resulted in restrictions put on many visas. Some  eastern Canadians travel to Cuba and the Dominican Republic where they meet a spouse. (It's usually western women seeking out husbands). The past experience was that these were spouses of convenience. People would divorce shortly after receiving their landed immigrant status. The UK has had similar issues with women coming back from North Africa with questionable partners.  The expenditure of tens of millions on repatriating  wives of ISIL terrorists and their children from Syria, and the former misuse of the visa particularly by Haitians, North Africans and Indians and SouthEast Asians did not support continuation of easy spousal visas.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

For Canadian residents, they can qualify for Old Age pension at 65 years+, are a Canadian citizen or a legal resident and have 

have resided in Canada for at least 10 years since the age of 18.

i am a canadian and i left at 36 and i live in thailand. this one is none applicable

7 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

For Canadian citizens living outside Canada, they can qualify they can qualify for Old Age pension at 65 years+, are a Canadian citizen or a legal resident on the day before they left Canada and have have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18.

as i mentioned previously, i left at 36 so... again this one doesnt apply to me

but thx

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i am a canadian and i left at 36 and i live in thailand. this one is none applicable

as i mentioned previously, i left at 36 so... again this one doesnt apply to me

but thx

Yes. I'm so glad I “discovered“ SE Asia after I had worked enough (barely) to qualify for both Canada and US pensions, and Canadian OAS. I do feel bad for those that moved before they considered their retirement situation.

3 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Yes. I'm so glad I “discovered“ SE Asia after I had worked enough (barely) to qualify for both Canada and US pensions, and Canadian OAS. I do feel bad for those that moved before they considered their retirement situation.

i actually didnt know about it til much later in life. i thought it was a given. i bear total responsibility... but i was never taught any of this by my father and i never learned this at school nor anywhere. i also never thought i was going to leave canada... and i left pre-internet... but it is my fault for not knowing. i guarantee you... many dont know this

On 7/28/2024 at 3:37 PM, Tony M said:

If a sponsor is not employed or has a low income, they should provide a detailed explanation of how they are going to support their spouse once they become a permanent resident.

So how will you support her ???

My apologies if in advance if this isn't the OP's case.  I don't know the OP's history (or his GF) and I'm American, so I don't know the rules in the Great White North. 

Since I moved to Asia in 1999 and lived and worked between China, Thailand and the USA, I have witnessed a string of Asian women who are on their 5th or 6th relationship with a random western guy, trying to get that elusive visa.  Yanks, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis and Canucks.  I suspect the IO's are tired of seeing the same women so many times.  And I don't think the IOs are allowed to let on the real reason. 

Of course, the guys are miffed because their sweetie got denied.  But in my mind, the IO was doing them a solid.

Edit:  I'd add that a year or so before Covid, I helped a female Thai friend (not wife, not GF) get a 10 year USA tourist visa.  The agency we hired to help her suggested that she not even bring my name into the process.  She didn't, and she got the 10 year visa.  Of course, YMMV north of the border.  (Just like car mileage because they measure gallons differently, too).

Edited by impulse

On 8/3/2024 at 9:48 PM, impulse said:

My apologies if in advance if this isn't the OP's case.  I don't know the OP's history (or his GF) and I'm American, so I don't know the rules in the Great White North. 

Since I moved to Asia in 1999 and lived and worked between China, Thailand and the USA, I have witnessed a string of Asian women who are on their 5th or 6th relationship with a random western guy, trying to get that elusive visa.  Yanks, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis and Canucks.  I suspect the IO's are tired of seeing the same women so many times.  And I don't think the IOs are allowed to let on the real reason. 

Of course, the guys are miffed because their sweetie got denied.  But in my mind, the IO was doing them a solid.

Edit:  I'd add that a year or so before Covid, I helped a female Thai friend (not wife, not GF) get a 10 year USA tourist visa.  The agency we hired to help her suggested that she not even bring my name into the process.  She didn't, and she got the 10 year visa.  Of course, YMMV north of the border.  (Just like car mileage because they measure gallons differently, too).

Well yikes reminds me of my wife's cousin

She had tried, France, Italy, UK, Germany then finally got the Swedish to give her a visa to be with the 'current' bf.

It goes back to my earlier post, Thai women did this to themselves, and the CO just deal with it so many times pretty sure they are numb to it

My wife isn't really close to her cousin, live in different worlds, but of course each of those guys were crushed, but for her cousin, it was just business as usual and on to the next mark, aka bf!

• Like 1