Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If LGBTQ appearing in artistic performances are deemed too "highly sexualized" for the sensibilities of "families" pray tell why is it that straight and cisgender people are acceptable?

Straight and cisgender people have sexual orientations and gender identities as well. 

Another way of saying LGBTQ people are less than people. OK as long as they hide away from public performances and aren't too uppity.

At least you didn't imply they were roaches.

These silly terms turn people off.

• Agree 1

The Olympics has become ridiculously over-complicated and expensive. It will soon become impossible for any country, apart from those under authoritarian rule, to be able to afford staging the games. A modest opening ceremony is all that is needed, and a review of the number of sports now involved.

• Agree 1

I have lived in Europe for a long time. It just proves that Europe has a euro trash, pseudo-intellectaul subset that is less talented than they give themselves credit for. France is no exception. Look at the suburbs in the USA we have nice suburbs anything built near Paris in the last 100 years is a pile of dung. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 2:13 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Great for kids of all ages. 

Great for recruiting innocent young boys ..

.I watched an Oxford schooled very tall 'Reverend' change a normal 11/12 year old schoolboy into a painted travesty from what I first knew as a smartly dressed schoolboy..

I last saw this schoolboy with strangely  coloured hair ,lipstick and weird clothing accosting old foreigners in a supermarket..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have changed my position on some of this. And it does seem like fake news. The opening ceremony apart from the scenes on the river were pretty awful, and in poor taste. 

After careful review, I did not like it at all, but it was NOT a mockery of Christianity. It was a depiction of the Greek Bacchanalia, right down to the 17 people, the fruit plate, the fat lady, etc. 

The rest is made up by the media and highly  sensationalized, by people easily triggered. 

And for the calls of boycotts, avoiding the Olympics is ridiculous. It's a wonderful sporting event, happens only every 4 years, so if some triggered people don't want to watch it, who loses out? 

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, Yagoda said:

They would be executed after they served their purpose. Like any other group of wierdos, their societal value was best determined by their usefulness to the revolution.

The Bolsheviks legalized homosexuality in 1918 (if I recall the year correctly). Same year they were torturing priests. See which groups they prefer? Pick up a book sometime before you spout your propaganda

Try living in Russia for a few years as a gay man and see how much tolerance you find 100 years after the Bolsheviks. So many people get so lost in the ideals of Communism and Marxism, however those ideals have never been put into practice successfully. The entire concept has been an abject failure worldwide for an entire century. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have changed my position on some of this. And it does seem like fake news. The opening ceremony apart from the scenes on the river were pretty awful, and in poor taste. 

After careful review, I did not like it at all, but it was NOT a mockery of Christianity. It was a depiction of the Greek Bacchanalia, right down to the 17 people, the fruit plate, the fat lady, etc. 

The rest is made up by the media and highly  sensationalized, by people easily triggered. 

And for the calls of boycotts, avoiding the Olympics is ridiculous. It's a wonderful sporting event, happens only every 4 years, so if some triggered people don't want to watch it, who loses out? 

You are or have been wrong about everything else you have ever spoken about. It is refreshing to see even an inkling of self awareness these days.Thanks.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, Pouatchee said:

lady gaga used to be soooo bodacious... she blames her weight gain on her father's restaurant. it saddens me to see how she let herself go this way. her song wasnt very good and she should have practiced her french enunciation more. 

That's not a weight problem that old age and a piss poor make up team.

Let's see

There is no south Korea

Gays and the LGBTQ can denigrate anything

Accommodation that are unliveable

They screwed this up so bad but what can you say.

The problem is that everyone thinks that using trans is the Way to go and they want to be shocking.

I don't blame France as much as I do the Olympics organization for allowing it.

Not only did it seem to insult Christianity but in the promotion of LGBTQIA it also offended all countries that rightly or wrongly think it is a sin.

Definitely not the unifying message that the Olympics are about.

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:25 PM, stoner said:

nice pejorative towards a group of people. great insight into ones character. 

Have to agree. A less derogatory reference, like, "Nakon Nowhere" would have sufficed.

On 7/28/2024 at 8:42 PM, MalcolmB said:

I didn’t feel disrespected.

Did you feel disrespected?

Too much sensitivity and wokeness these days.

I did note the ironic reaction from those who have criticized PC.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:49 PM, Yellowtail said:

Islam is a religion of peace! 

Much wrong has been done in the name of Religion. I was brought up on, "Love thy neighbor". "turn the other cheek" and yet, "onward Christian soldiers...".

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm actually trying to encourage you to look deeper into your unconscious bias.

You are free to be gay if you want. Your right.

And other people are free to not like gay people if they want. Their right.

There is not a law that says you must like everyone.

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, Pouatchee said:

lady gaga used to be soooo bodacious... she blames her weight gain on her father's restaurant. it saddens me to see how she let herself go this way. her song wasnt very good and she should have practiced her french enunciation more. 

Dislike this even as much.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well said.... 

The problem is now that either this ceremony was well received in whole, or a person is an anti-trans homophobe... (& anti LBGQT+)....

... It was the same with the kitsch performances in the Eurovision song contest... 

Common sense has been kneecapped by the highly vocal and toxic faux outrage of a minority wishing to shout the loudest from the rafters - and there there are the idiots on the forum who blindly support this wishing to argue a debate which should be a complete non-starter....   

... This behavior in public [trans last supper] should not be acceptable, it should not be tolerated, it should never have been permitted - and those holding such opinions are not anti-gay or anti LBGQT+... they (we) are just normal people who'd welcome any 'behaving person' into their homes - the issue here is that this is not 'good behavior' it is a form of exhibitionism that should not be tolerated on the public stage where families are watching - such overly sexualised misrepresentation of regular folk who's sexual orientation differs from heterosexuals is more damaging to genuine issues faced by 'normal' non- heterosexuals within society.

Of course - throw out a competitive discussion and our drama queen levies the accusation of bigotry, anti-gay... and then 'blocks you'...  simply because they have no intelligent argument that doesn't also dislodge their flawed agenda. 

Richard, if you want a competitive discussion you need to get your facts straight. You call it perjoratively a "trans supper".  It wasn't a trans re-enactment of The Last Supper.

"The moral panic over a scene of drag queens feasting at the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics set off a firestorm of outrage from religious conservatives and politicians who believed the scene was a mockery of the Last Supper. Except it wasn’t about the Last Supper at all. 

The so-called re-enactment was a scene of a bacchanal, a feast to the Greek god Dionysus. After all, the Olympics originated in ancient Greece, and the Greek gods were a part of the culture of that time. French director Thomas Jolly, who oversaw the opening ceremony show, explained that the scene was Dionysus arriving on a table and that it was meant to be representative of the gods of Olympus celebrating the Olympic Games."

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/olympics-2024-apology-christians-last-supper-elon-musk-mike-johnson-rcna164008

It's important to acknowledge this first.

Scenes of bacchanalia are shown in some very famous paintings in prominent galleries around the world and are not censored. What exactly were you offended by and what legitimates your belief that this performance should be censored?

I don't wish to speak for Jingthing but I think that your allusion to trans performances being the problem is what he was criticizing.

And I'm a bit disarmed when you talk about "normal people" and LGBT+ people in the same breath. It often leads to inevitable prejudicies. Shades of Peterson and his "freaks and queers."

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D-Day Soldier Blissfully Unaware France Will One Day Open Olympics With Naked Blue Smurf Demon

Article Image

"Come on, boys! It's time to liberate France!" Donovan cried as he fearlessly charged forward, only to be cut down by machine gun bullets. "It's all worth it. I'm sure France won't turn into a bunch of weird blasphemous perverts or anything."

"That would never happen..."

--https://babylonbee.com/news/d-day-soldier-blissfully-unaware-france-will-one-day-open-olympics-with-naked-blue-smurf-demon

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

D-Day Soldier Blissfully Unaware France Will One Day Open Olympics With Naked Blue Smurf Demon

Article Image

"Come on, boys! It's time to liberate France!" Donovan cried as he fearlessly charged forward, only to be cut down by machine gun bullets. "It's all worth it. I'm sure France won't turn into a bunch of weird blasphemous perverts or anything."

"That would never happen..."

--https://babylonbee.com/news/d-day-soldier-blissfully-unaware-france-will-one-day-open-olympics-with-naked-blue-smurf-demon

Mocking the death of D-Day soldiers. How tasteful.

They fought for freedom not censorship.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

Much wrong has been done in the name of Religion. I was brought up on, "Love thy neighbor". "turn the other cheek" and yet, "onward Christian soldiers...".

And much more right has been done in the name of Religion.

2 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Mocking the death of D-Day soldiers. How tasteful.

They fought for freedom not censorship.

And you with mock outrage, how funny is that?

And as we know, the left gets a pass to mock anyone and anything at any time. Got it. 

• Love It 1

Just now, Wrwest said:

Christians gave up the Inquisition 400 years ago, Muslims are still chopping off heads of unbelievers

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Let's see

There is no south Korea

Gays and the LGBTQ can denigrate anything

Accommodation that are unliveable

They screwed this up so bad but what can you say.

The problem is that everyone thinks that using trans is the Way to go and they want to be shocking.

I don't blame France as much as I do the Olympics organization for allowing it.

Not only did it seem to insult Christianity but in the promotion of LGBTQIA it also offended all countries that rightly or wrongly think it is a sin.

Definitely not the unifying message that the Olympics are about.

Wrongly.

Why should the Olympics cave to ignorant bigots?

• Sad 1