Biden unveils plan for Supreme Court changes

25 minutes ago, simple1 said:

What on earth are you talking about. The changes would need to be passed by Congress. However, unfortunately it's been republicans not abiding by their Oath of Office and blocking decisions purely on partisan lines, which in my mind is akin to criminal behaviour e.g. blocking trump's impeachment and border legislation.

Voting against something is criminal behavior?  Huh?

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Supreme Court is in drastic need of reform, there should not only be term limits but there should also be age limits. Every justice should be retired at the age of 70, and they should not allowed be allowed to serve for more than 15 years. At that point it's time to put them out to pasture. 

thankfully a process exists to do all of that. 

I suppose voting for the supreme court would be out of the question as that would be an extreme left version of democracy.

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I suppose voting for the supreme court would be out of the question as that would be an extreme left version of democracy.

At that point why do we need to have a Supreme Court if we just use what passes for popular political opinions and swap them in and out to make our laws?

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I have no problem with a mandatory retirement for the Supremes, say 70 or 75. But term limits are another issue. It would leave them vulnerable to manipulation if they planned to keep working after leaving the Bench.

IMHO, term limits for Congress would be much more effective. The Presidency has a 2 term limit, which is great. I would extend that to both the House and the Senate- max 2 terms in each. And a mandatory retirement as above. Too much furniture in the Congress, too many people who see politics as a profession and not as a public service. 

you should need to be no more than 60 the day you assume office or appointment. After that you can not qualify again. You can serve your term but only if your 60th birthday is before being elected, appointed or re-elected.

Edited by Cryingdick

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

you should need to be no more than 60 the day you seek office or appointment. After that you can not qualify again. You can serve your term but only if your 60th birthday is before being elected, appointed or re-elected.

Sounds reasonable. Perhaps modify it to say you can serve until term limit, but if your term includes your 65th or 70th birthday, you cannot seek re-election or any election after that. 

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Well their murder attempt failed. What would you expect from the left? 

They attempted to murder him? Gracious me, I must have missed that!

I really, really, must pay more attention!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sounds reasonable. Perhaps modify it to say you can serve until term limit, but if your term includes your 65th or 70th birthday, you cannot seek re-election or any election after that. 

thats the meaning. You must be eligible on the day of election, or re-election. You cld get elected when you are 60 but would not be able to run again, you could serve your first term.

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

They attempted to murder him? Gracious me, I must have missed that!

I really, really, must pay more attention!

Yeah lone wolf! SS didnt even check the roof :cheesy: nothing suss

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The Supreme Court is in drastic need of reform, there should not only be term limits but there should also be age limits. Every justice should be retired at the age of 70, and they should not allowed be allowed to serve for more than 15 years. At that point it's time to put them out to pasture. 

I assume you think the same should apply to the office of president.

16 hours ago, TedG said:

The dems want to change the court because the court is not rubber stamping their dumb.  Republicans  should will block this dump idea.  

Dems wish to make changes due to the obviously corrupt behaviour of some, judges acting contrary to the Constitution e.g. anointing trump as "king", as well as blatantly biased decisions along purely political lines. IMO all Bidens thoughts are for the betterment of US judicial processes which are subject to decisions by Congress, we do know the Republicans enthralled with trump will not enact the required changes. At least Biden is calling out to the American people a better way forward, unlike trump who primarily acts in self interest.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

80 would be my limit for all.

Ironically, I find myself more conservative. Either out of office by 75 or not eligible to run for election after turning 70. I am aware of both the benefit of age and experience and the need for greater progressive change brought on by the next generation. We could also discuss a maximum number of eligible terms (varying for 2, 4, 6 year terms).

Edited by Wrwest
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, simple1 said:

What on earth are you talking about. The changes would need to be passed by Congress. However, unfortunately it's been republicans not abiding by their Oath of Office and blocking decisions purely on partisan lines, which in my mind is akin to criminal behaviour e.g. blocking trump's impeachment and border legislation.

Unless I missed something it would have to be a constitutional amendment and that's not going anywhere.

Voting on party lines is normal in the present party system, or did you not notice when the Dems do that? :whistling: