Outrage Sparked in Thailand Over Apple's 'Out of Office' Advert

A stupid video, about stupids, full of clichés, made by woke stupids.
It's supposed to be funny!
But outraging, self-content "idiots" in the center of the world, don't get that.
Find the failure.

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, SbuxPlease said:

They could have inserted any travel destination that's not Western and achieved the same result.

But they wouldn't have inserted a modern African, Muslim, Japanese, or Chinese city. No-o-o.

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jimgilly said:

This is just one more example of how thin-skinned, no sense of humor with a superiority complex these people are.  Unfortunately, most people don't get to realize it until it's too late. 

More an example of how media companies will play to Western ignorant stereotypes and "acceptable" soft bigotry IF they can get away with it. And our forum responses indicate how effective it is. Not effective with Thais, however. Too bad they won't give up their iPhones in protest. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

But other films are banned and blocked in Thailand.....And they are really good movies but nobody in Thailand may see the truth

That's the Idea lol

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

actually think that if Thailand was still like it is portrayed in the ad (fun, chilled out, relaxed, and welcoming to foreingers), tourism would not have gone down as much as it has.

Tourism hasn't "gone down," except during COVID, and since then has been recovering nicely, all considered. Economically, Thailand didn't collapse but did even better after the decline in numbers of the Golden Egg Layers, who ran out of Golden Eggs, and the rise of domestic and more truly international tourism.

True, B'wana, gone are the days when you could flip a few satang for smiles, servility, and butt kissing.

colonialism.jpg.330a6a70b25de65d32b7a305a2882d20.jpg 

A source of perpetual disappointment and bitterness on the forum. Thailand needs to be punished, so we rejoice in any bad news and regularly issue dire prophecies.

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure if the ad is enough to fool people anymore. The 90s was a long time ago.

Probably a good thing, as it's such a biased ad. It fails to mention that the quality of tourists is much better now as so many of them aren't Western tourists. Frequently we used to see

quality2.jpg.fefee8515451225823cfde131e23c1bd.jpg

Not so much any more. I wonder what these yobs would have done with the characters in the ad. Reminds me, as an aside, of Netanyahu's comment recently about Gays for Gaza being like "Chickens for KFC."

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

So the producers have done their due diligence.

Bwahhahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Hub of hurt butts.

Oh no?

image.jpeg.19c00b8a975071ba93f0b9a22a0d8efc.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Airwolf said:

Don't forget the cartoon sound effects!

Which are as old as the hills! Running horse and 2 halves of a coconut shell springs to mind, along with kazoos, penny whistles and canned laughter.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Probably a good thing, as it's such a biased ad. It fails to mention that the quality of tourists is much better now as so many of them aren't Western tourists. Frequently we used to see

Tourists from what origin are "much better"?

The Chinese, Russians, camouflaged (Ham)asholes, or from where?

"Tourism hasn't gone down", Lol.

Then, I wonder what the desperation is about.

In between, at least, some people might have realized (surely not TAT or the concrete punks) that virtual, empty hubs are not paying taxes or laying any of the needed eggs. 

11 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I think Thai people just don't understand the humor. I've told jokes many times that Thai people don't get because of cultural divide. Many Americans don't get British humor. This to me is a collection of dysfunctional doofuses trying to make their way through humorous situations which are exaggerated for comedic effect, whereas Thais just don't get comedic American satire and visual buffoonery. I think if Thai people are familiar with American culture they'd understand the humor and not take it as and insult. They might just as well have chosen New York and made fun of all its quirks, the New Yorkers would have laughed because it's their city and they know its quirks. 

I am from the U.S. of A. 
I think British humor is hilarious. 

I don't understand why Americans think the Seinfeld TV series is funny.  That applies to many other American TV comedies too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was in a taxi yesterday going back to my condo and saw a red #26 bus.   I swear it was the same bus that I rode on before the Skytrain was built. 

It was old then too!  So much for not having old bus's in Thailand.

10 hours ago, cdemundo said:

It made Westerners seem stoopid so was kinda the theme.

Also wasn't all that funny.

In my opinion, you have described American commercials.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

And he's right.

Now, BKK does of course offer cheap hotels and tuk-tuks. Budget travel is certainly possible, and a good thing that is, too. 

BUT these gay travelers are on a company expense account and would travel in standard business style. Furthermore, they'd be dealing with higher-level professional business-to-business types (Chinese Thais) who can get things done. So the selection bias shown towards Thailand throughout the ad is quite condescending and plays to outdated stereotypes. It would certainly give a false impression to unwashed tourists who've never traveled here as well as potential business investors.

I can see why Thais would find it annoying. So do I.

People who know me, know that I am very critical of Thailand. But I have to admit the Apple-ad is a bit outdated. Perhaps influenced by the movie "Hangover 2"? I see several similarities.

<SNIP! bigotry>

1 hour ago, Maitdjai said:

"Tourism hasn't gone down", Lol.

Then, I wonder what the desperation is about.

The supposed "desperation" is merely a forum talking point in support of the beloved Thailand's Perpetual Decline narrative.

In all countries, gov't tourism offices run various marketing campaigns. Yeah, that's what they do. The Islamic Republic of the UK is no exception:

Great Britain and Northern Ireland's Tourism Campaign Is About to Get Even Greater

Desperate? Oh, definitely not. It's only desperation when Thailand does as well.

Meanwhile, Suvarnabhumi is being expanded. I remember the chorus of sneers that greeted the announcement of the construction of that airport by our ace TAT: ANF members and Airport Construction Engineers. Thailand didn't need that airport, had Don Muang already, quite enough. Just a boondoggle. Besides, the runways were going to sink into the swamp. Thais could never maintain them, planes would rust on the tarmac.

The usual cr*p pumped out day after day.

1 hour ago, Maitdjai said:

In between, at least, some people might have realized (surely not TAT or the concrete punks) that virtual, empty hubs are not paying taxes or laying any of the needed eggs. 

Suvarnabhumi isn't virtual or empty, as predicted by our Experts. Sure enough, when it first opened, some of them visited and confirmed: empty🤣

Before the Chinese slowdown, tourism was expected to hit 35 million this year. It's hit 20 million in 7 months. It generates a helluva lot of revenue (and of course taxes), the amount of which I won't bother looking up for you, as you seem too ignorant anyway.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If people are offended by this, then they honestly shouldn't watch any Thai comedy movies or TV shows which mock certain Thai people in a far worse way ... but somehow that is considered funny.

My Thai wife - educated, travelled extensively - can't see any racism in this ad and wonders what all the fuss is about.

I think woke culture has caught up with the locals. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

<SNIP! bigotry>

The supposed "desperation" is merely a forum talking point in support of the beloved Thailand's Perpetual Decline narrative.

In all countries, gov't tourism offices run various marketing campaigns. Yeah, that's what they do. The Islamic Republic of the UK is no exception:

Great Britain and Northern Ireland's Tourism Campaign Is About to Get Even Greater

Desperate? Oh, definitely not. It's only desperation when Thailand does as well.

Meanwhile, Suvarnabhumi is being expanded. I remember the chorus of sneers that greeted the announcement of the construction of that airport by our ace TAT: ANF members and Airport Construction Engineers. Thailand didn't need that airport, had Don Muang already, quite enough. Just a boondoggle. Besides, the runways were going to sink into the swamp. Thais could never maintain them, planes would rust on the tarmac.

The usual cr*p pumped out day after day.

Suvarnabhumi isn't virtual or empty, as predicted by our Experts. Sure enough, when it first opened, some of them visited and confirmed: empty🤣

Before the Chinese slowdown, tourism was expected to hit 35 million this year. It's hit 20 million in 7 months. It generates a helluva lot of revenue (and of course taxes), the amount of which I won't bother looking up for you, as you seem too ignorant anyway.

Calm down, Lol.

I wasn't talking about the airport.

I mentioned the weekly new announced "hubs", from "energy, manufacturing anything, to "vintage" cars. EVs are already dead.

They bragged, and played down their dependency on tourism during Covid, and had to realize, that there isn't much more left.

Now, the absolute number is lower, and the individual spending is lower. 

Export is declining harshly, with no skilled working force, no production. No inventions either, besides quick forgotten "hubs".

Onlly a huge import of crap from the "Masters".

And that is not to blame on Covid.

Even more weed is imported (and cheaper) than the homegrown.

The SET is number 1 in losses.

Clues? "Boosting" tourism, taxing Lazada peanuts, looking for new cows to milk, and the like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

Now, the absolute number is lower, and the individual spending is lower. 

Owing to the recovery from COVID and the slowdown in China, numbers are lower, just as they are elsewhere. However, TAT still has a chance of hitting the 35 million target. 40 million arrived in 2019, so that's getting pretty close. You don't know that "individual spending is lower" but simple wish to think so.

14 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

I mentioned the weekly new announced "hubs"

Your hobbyhorse of the moment, "hubs," has nothing to do with the OP, just typical doomster rubbish. Tourism does, however, as it relates to the effect of the ad.

I trust you're not going to need help getting out of your loop. But whenever I say that to posters, they always do.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, BigStar said:

TAT still has a chance of hitting the 35 million target. 40 million arrived in 2019, so that's getting pretty close. You don't know that "individual spending is lower" but simple wish to think so.

It's true that tourist numbers are not much less than 2019.

But receipts from tourism are a lot less than 2019 (I am not going do dig for the statistics,  but it was in the magnitude of 30%). So one could say individual spending is lower. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RethairedJarhead said:

Does Apple marketing represent “criticism from white people“ or are you referring to yourself? 

Either way, categorizing all asian people under your narrow understanding is almost amazing as you choosing to live among Asian people. 

You are Asian, right?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

Owing to the recovery from COVID and the slowdown in China, numbers are lower, just as they are elsewhere. However, TAT still has a chance of hitting the 35 million target. 40 million arrived in 2019, so that's getting pretty close. You don't know that "individual spending is lower" but simple wish to think so.

Your hobbyhorse of the moment, "hubs," has nothing to do with the OP, just typical doomster rubbish. Tourism does, however, as it relates to the effect of the ad.

I trust you're not going to need help getting out of your loop. But whenever I say that to posters, they always do.

Correct.

(The ad itself, I commented ealier).

The discussion is leading away a little bit from the op.

This might depend on the endorsing of this ad by the PM acting, real estate tycoon for his tourism-boosting campaign.

Btw, the last one, which was a success, was the

"Amazing Thailand" campaign.

A long time ago.

After this, only failed "big dreamer" campaigns.

Targeting Millionaires, VIPs, and 5*-"High-End"-Concrete-Ghetto- Tourism, which ended mostly up in Chinese "Zero-Dollar" tours.

Not to forget, your long-winded, (pictured) "Halejulia" analysis, about the actual economical situation, and its handling.

At the moment TPTB is more engaged in those never ending "democratic" power games, instead the economy, anyway.

So hang on to their lips and bloomy crystal ball predictions.

Edited by Maitdjai

On 7/29/2024 at 11:23 PM, BigStar said:

It would certainly give a false impression to unwashed tourists who've never traveled here as well as potential business investors

There is a comment on a famous forum for Thais (written in Thai but I've translated it) which is a nice retort/addition to this.

"Don't worry too much, it's fun to watch, it's hilarious to watch. Nowadays, foreigners are not stupid enough to watch advertisements and imagine that Thailand will be like this. Most apple users know how to search for information on the internet. Our country is not as small as a barbaric forest country. There is a huge amount of information about the country. And we are one of the top countries that foreigners even want to visit"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

Nowadays, foreigners are not stupid enough to watch advertisements and imagine that Thailand will be like this.

So optimistic, it's touching.

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

There is a huge amount of information about the country. And we are one of the top countries that foreigners even want to visit"

Quite true. And me, I'm always glad I decided to move here a couple of decades ago.

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

It's true that tourist numbers are not much less than 2019.

And way up over last year.

So much for our myth of Perpetual Decline.

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

But receipts from tourism are a lot less than 2019 (I am not going do dig for the statistics,  but it was in the magnitude of 30%). So one could say individual spending is lower. 

Doesn't sound like it.

Thai hotel operators are set to rack in heavy profits from resurgence in tourism despite being low season

But TAT rarely gives figures for the average spend. It gives the numbers for generated revenue, totally different. It's usually our ace ANF mathematicians who grab their calculators and divide the generated revenue by the nunber of tourists to arrive at their laughable average spend figure to arrive at the definitive proof that TAT tells porkies!

So I doubt you have any individual spend figures, but the generated revenue figure is what's most important anyway.

Edited by BigStar

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

So I doubt you have any individual spend figures, but the generated revenue figure is what's most important anyway.

And that's still way down, that was what I was trying to tell you

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

And that's still way down, that was what I was trying to tell you

No, that's not what you were trying to tell me or anyone. You had merely made up a point about the individual spend per tourist. All you can say is that 40 million tourists bring in more money than the projected 35 million or the current 20 million.  I guess that suitably profound.🙂 

On 7/30/2024 at 8:48 AM, oxo1947 said:

I can't Martin,   I would need to take a morgage out to get anywhere in the UK........................ its 400bht just to get to my local shopping center  4 miles away.

Walk, it's free.

• Sad 1