UK Winter Fuel Payments Scrapped for Millions Amid Budget Cuts

Social Media

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I am sat waiting for a response from all those living here saying vote Labour - and now seeing their transfers of money from our UK now fall 2% in value against the baht. Hope you enjoy the lack of money ! Just the start, wait for another 2-4% drop when labour do the budget !

2% 

Gosh.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Hardly 14 years. Mass illegal immigration, at recent levels, is a relatively new thing. 

It's something that has caught many countries out.

The big increase started when the Tories closed all the safe routes and ran down the processing of claims. Mind you, the hotelier friends of the tories who had been having a torrid time jumped for joy when their dilapidated and closed hotels could be rented out to the government for outrageously high prices (£120/night with no service and no meals).

• Confused 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

As someone that worked 10 years in the NHS, it's a wonderful idea ruined by incompetent managers and corruption.

Indeed, the NHS was a source of national pride. The youtube programs one can watch about hospitals in the UK show competent dedicated staff working under difficult constraints, more money is needed to bring it back to its former glory but nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers are more important.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't matter how good the care is if you die in the 2-3 weeks before you get treated.

An old colleague visited us from the UK a couple of months back, he was pleased to get his state pension but complained that together with his company pension it pushed him into the 40% tax bracket.

I need to get in touch to invite him over for the winter, can’t have old friends freezing for lack of money to keep the heating on.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Indeed, the NHS was a source of national pride. The youtube programs one can watch about hospitals in the UK show competent dedicated staff working under difficult constraints, more money is needed to bring it back to its former glory but nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers are more important.

Why doesn't your adopted country have them....?  🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

An old colleague visited us from the UK a couple of months back, he was pleased to get his state pension but complained that together with his company pension it pushed him into the 40% tax bracket.

I need to get in touch to invite him over for the winter, can’t have old friends freezing for lack of money to keep the heating on.

He must be earning a nice few quid, so your heating thing is nonsense.

But, be sure to tell him your lefty lot will now take even more....😱

Bet you don't.........🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Firstly the waiting lists were created by over 14 years of Tory mismanagement.

Secondly, the waiting list in Thailand is how long if you don’t have the money to pay?

I don't know but my ML has had cataract surgery on both eyes (government hospital) for free, 3 weeks after her doctors recommendation, with follow up care, I know because every two weeks I have to drive her 15 km and wait 4 hours for her eye inspection.

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You just can't stop the blame game, can you?

There was a global pandemic, if you remember. Hospital appointments were virtually closed down for 2 years. Then there were the strikes because of unions ridiculous demands. 

I just can’t help holding those elected to run the country accountable for their mismanagement.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

It was Reeves and Labour who gave the pay rises and are responsible to the Billions black hole 

Reeves confirms public sector pay rises of 5-6%

The chancellor has confirmed that millions of public sector workers will get a pay rise this year, following recommendations from the independent pay review bodies.

Most NHS workers, teachers and members of the armed forces will receive above-inflation pay rises of 5.5% to 6%, Rachel Reeves announced yesterday as she presented an audit of government finances to the House of Commons.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/public-sector-pay-rises/

Good to hear that public sector employees will at last get their increases.seems the  previous administration lied through their back teeth to conceal the extent of their incompetence/treachery with bug getting. Hopefully they will means test too child benefits.the uk economy is in ruins. Thankfully a new govt. will. focus on this. Let’s hope they don’t make state pensioners uk based.

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You obviously have not been following the increases in funding for NHS.

Having spent many days in an NHS hospital in the last 2 months I can safely say funding and staffing is not the issue.

It's how that funding and staffing is managed.

He immigrated to Germany decades ago, now likes to knock the country he left behind................🥴

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

He must be earning a nice few quid, so your heating thing is nonsense.

But, be sure to tell him your lefty lot will now take even more....😱

Bet you don't.........🤣

A normal professional salary for the industry in which we worked together.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Why doesn't your adopted country have them....?  🤔

Because they build hospitals and Autobahns and pay for a well functioning police force, things people need.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I just can’t help holding those elected to run the country accountable for their mismanagement.

🤣..........You just wait, I have feeling you will disappear from this type of thread through embarrassment.....🤣

Have you got Angela's autograph yet.....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Because they build hospitals and Autobahns and pay for a well functioning police force, things people need.

Not told not too then.............:whistling:

Plus, your place of birth will take care of you if the crutch comes, don't forget that.....😉

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, you spoke nonsense.......:coffee1:

I’m sorry your life experience hasn’t extended to well paid work with final salary pension rights.

It has for millions of pensioners in the UK.

They certainly don’t need winter fuel supplements from Government.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

But you've stopped since 4th July. Making your comment inane.

Absolutely not.

The current Government hasn’t enacted any policies that could possibly result in outcomes within the less than a month they have been in office.

So yes, inane, that’s the word.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s a common refrain, ‘we earned our pensions’.

No other ‘benefit’ is do firmly linked in people’s minds as something they have earned.

Actually the refrain is 'we contributed towards a pension'. State Pension is based on the amount of contributions you've paid. The more you've paid in, up to a maximum of 35 years, the more you get as your entitlement.

Semantics maybe but it's an important distinction that it's based on the amount you've contributed rather than the amount they'd like to pay you, like a salary.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You obviously have not been following the increases in funding for NHS.

Having spent many days in an NHS hospital in the last 2 months I can safely say funding and staffing is not the issue.

It's how that funding and staffing is managed.

You are correct, having left the UK 50 years ago I don't have any personal experience and can only go by what I read, I'm sure some parts of the country are better than others. A feel good story from a German colleague of mine ;- He went on a canal boating holiday in England with his family when his son (12) broke his arm, he was taken to hospital where it was ascertained that it was complicated and needed metal plates and screws. They told his father to continue his holiday as his son would be in hospital for at least two weeks. Upon his return he was told everything was finished and he could take his son back home. When my colleague produced forms to fill out from the German government health insurance so that the hospital could be paid, the doctor waved him off and said its OK he was a good patient. My colleague was surprised and impressed, even more so when back home his son had an exray, recommended by the British surgeon, and his doctor told him the work done was of the highest order. He still can't understand why they didn't want any money (this was around 45 years ago). 

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Actually the refrain is 'we contributed towards a pension. State Pension is based on the amount of contributions you've paid. The more you've paid in, up to a maximum of 35 years, the more you get as your entitlement.

Semantics maybe but it's an important distinction that it's based on the amount you've contributed rather than the amount they'd like to pay you, like a salary.

Agree.

But my point is pensions are directly earned and the link between paying NI and pension entitlement is firmly established.

Remove NI and pensions become a benefit not an earned entitlement.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Not told not too then.............:whistling:

Plus, your place of birth will take care of you if the crutch comes, don't forget that.....😉

You mean crunch? what would that be? nuclear missiles and a 5 minute warning, or hoards of Cassocks storming Beachy Head. I'll be in Thailand, popcorn in hand.

• Sad 2