Car Struck by Falling Steel Plate on Rama 2 Road, Bangkok, Amidst Storm

snoop1130

steel-plate-2.jpg

A car on Rama 2 Road, Bangkok, was hit by a falling steel plate amid a storm leading to a three-day work suspension and compensation for those affected. The incident happened on July 29 around 11.45am.

Director-General of the Department of Highways, Sarawut Songsiwilai, disclosed details about the unfortunate happening where a steel plate fell on a pickup truck's bonnet near the Wat Pak Bo overpass on Highway 35, also known as Rama 2 Road.

Early investigations suggest that the incident happened outside the set construction hours of 8pm to 5am. The workers had stored steel plates on the project site. However, the stormy weather and strong winds caused one of the plates to fall and damage the vehicle below. Notably, no injuries were reported.

The contractor has compensated the impacted parties and has been directed to stop work for three days for a thorough investigation into the incident's details and causes. If it is determined that the contractor ignored safety measures, they could face legal repercussions and a reduction in their score, affecting their chances in future project bids.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-31

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

No safety in Thailand 

I think a happy balance could be attained... (or rather, should be attained) between safety as it exists in the West and Thai attitudes towards safety. 

In the UK we see two lanes of the motorway closed for 6 months to repaint white lines (I know I know, an exaggeration) - but in my area (countryside of the UK) the 10km stretch of B road into town was closed with a 20km detour for two weeks while potholes were very poorly repaired and white lines were painted...     much to the aggravation of locals. 

Meanwhile in Thailand we'd have seen a workaround of partially closing the road at night in periods of far less traffic and other measures which mean as little inconvenience to locals as possible - but at the same time forgetting to mark the road-works leading to accidents... 

Hence the happy medium - Thailand is a dangerous place and far more incidents occur due to utter incompetence and a complete lack of consideration for safety....   the UK overdoes it... but I wouldn't be saying that if I was a motorway worker...