Why are there so many farang lefties in Thailand

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

I disagree. He is one of the best speakers out there and rather funny. He is very entertaining. His 2019 data confirms his ability to deliver. The numbers are superior to Democrats.

Most of the criticism of him is just personal attacks.

😄

at least you are not alone with your ideas and thoughts or believes. Im just happy I do not have kids to worry about. 

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

😄

at least you are not alone with your ideas and thoughts or believes. Im just happy I do not have kids to worry about. 

Kids have easy lives these days.

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Kids have easy lives these days.

No, we had an easy life, where we could quit school and still find decent work and make our life from scratch with very little in our hands. Get a flat buy food, car, gf,  it is just not that easy anymore. I could travel the world without sponsorships or insta account do what I loved until I was broke, for then go home work 6 months and do it again until I got sponsored and paid. Did not need to worry about anything the time period I grow up. It was a cold war, I served the army, and was the first line to stop the russians, we knew our mission, and most likely we would be run over, but we accepted it. Simple things

These days they have cotton between their ears, and know nothing about real life, so if thats easy life, well, it is an sickness they have become used to

Edited by Hummin

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

No, we had an easy life, where we could quit school and still find decent work and make our life from scratch with very little in our hands. Get a flat buy food, car, gf,  it is just not that easy anymore. I could travel the world without sponsorships or insta account do what I loved until I was broke, for then go home work 6 months and do it again until I got sponsored and paid. Did not need to worry about anything the time period I grow up. It was a cold war, I served the army, and was the first line to stop the russians, we knew our mission, and most likely we would be run over, but we accepted it. Simple things

Not me. I had a tough life. Kids have it much easier. Travel is far cheaper now!

Just now, susanlea said:

Not me. I had a tough life. Kids have it much easier. Travel is far cheaper now!

Reality is different, we grow up working from 6 years old, learning to make money, save money, and make a plan, and know consequenses. And Im speaking in general terms. We knew what we had to do, and we had very few conflicts in society disturbing our lives. If we where bored, we did something about it, now boredome is because life have become dull without real challenges. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Reality is different, we grow up working from 6 years old, learning to make money, save money, and make a plan, and know consequenses. And Im speaking in general terms. We knew what we had to do, and we had very few conflicts in society disturbing our lives. If we where bored, we did something about it, now boredome is because life have become dull without real challenges. 

6 is young. I started 15 on a very low wage. I view kids today as far luckier than me. Kids today get 5x the wage I got with similar airfares. I don't feel sorry for them.

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

6 is young. I started 15 on a very low wage. I view kids today as far luckier than me. Kids today get 5x the wage I got with similar airfares. I don't feel sorry for them.

We worked because we could, and it was many kids who picked the left over potatos the machines didnt manage to get up, and we got paid. Picking fruit, flowers and sell, as well the older we got, we could work in amusement parks from 13, while I started assambling parts for electronics. Painting houses, moving lawns, basically everything season based, as well I managed to get a deal removing snow form holiday houses in one area including the roofs. My father gave us kids part of the field to care for and could sell whatever we grew, and not to forget we went out and chopped down christmas trees we could sell for our own pocket money. Early we learned to fish, pick berries and mushrooms. Do kids have time to do this or can do without parents getting questioned? We have moved so far from reality of real life as possible the last 70 years. The western syndrome

of course I add colours to something that did not existed as worrying free live, where we got spanked for swearing, and behave badly, but we learned important things, like there is conesequences, and there is possiblities as well things change for the better if you work hard enought for it. Most people start struggling when nothing happens, and it becomes silent and no way out, or no new direction to take. Im sure many reckonize that after moving to Thailand, and nothing new happens, and here they are in paradise that became the daily life on repeat

22 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Do the same comparison with house prices. When you could get a house cheaply the high cost of airfares back in the day was no big deal. 

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

I sort of agree. My reply was probably poorly worded and framed, and therefore misinterpreted as targeted to the farang community in general. Rather, it was an instant parody of the OP(I certainlywouldn'twork my way through 12 pages of this post), who is one the most prolific and extreme Trumpian nut jobs, with  one fascist trope/tripe after another. I don't think you can be Maga and be a rational, intelligent ,emotionally stable and moral human being at the same time. Most of the Trumpians are just plain dumb and ignorant, some have serious issues of repressed anger, many are viciously racist. Majority probably a combination of all of the above. In comparison with them ,and that is a very low bar, no chance I get weeded.

The intelligentsia are rarely on the far right, the ones that are, are usually power/wealth hungry opportunists, who do and say anything to advance their careers, not genuine fascist ideologues. 

As far as I was aware around  half of Americans are Trump supporters ?  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Communists and other radicalists was a big fear after WW1, with bombs, smaller terror actions as well fires. The red scare I recall.  I have to dig in to the history again, but Im sure you are right, they did not erase the problem alike Hitler Germany,but they didnt really start jailing and killing people on regular basis before the war either? 

Yes, there was a fear of communists after the revolution I Russia in 1917, but real surveillance of them in western Europe took place after WWII with Russia as one of two superpowers. Before that communists only work for changes within their own country, but now some of them became spies for Russia, hence the surveillance.

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

We are racists and fascists according to that guy. All 90m of us :cheesy:

Maybe I am a racist , by the standards of some people I am bound to be .  Whether I'm bothered or not is a different matter

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, susanlea said:

Thailand is more right wing than left but it appears that 75% of farangs are centre left to far left. Why move to a right wing nation? Why spend 8 years whingeing about Trump?

There are no Thai right-wingers

Thailand has conservatives in context of constitutional Monarchy 

A rational political ideology one can argue the merits of even if you don't agree with it

right-wingers believe in tropes

Example in Thailand some people keep guns at home, for protection, hunting, etc., but nobody believes the gun makes them "free"or that every unqualified dope should be able to keep war weapons as a right

Nor do they believe tax cuts for billionaires create jobs or not having health insurance is a good thing

It is really just a facade of lies to get the working class to vote against its own interests

Seem to be plenty on AN. Maybe it is Chiang Mai but I have not ran into many right wingers.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 2:55 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Thailand rightwing?

National health service, free schooling, heavily subsidized public universities, price controls on fuels and essential foods, government controlled rice and agricultural product markets, large effective civil service, on going centralized government run national development plans.

I don’t think Thailand fits western definitions of political right/left.

Reminds me of the time a conservative Republican at a friends dinner party was raving how great Singapore is. These people smoke so much of their own dope, the contradictions go right over their heads. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Reminds me of the time a conservative Republican at a friends dinner party was raving how great Singapore is. These people smoke so much of their own dope, the contradictions go right over their heads. 

They certainly wouldn't be smoking it Singapore

• Agree 1