ATM withdrawl limits?

Anybody have any experience with daily ATM withdrawl THB limits?

A USA buddy of mine plans to visit soon and he wants to avoid fees and withdraw the max amount of THB he can for each visit to the ATM to avoid the per transaction fees.

Looks like the flat fees are the same no matter the amount for each withdraw.

Also, which Thai bank ATM allows the most THB daily withdraw?

Which Thai Bank ATM has the lowest fees?

Any experienced replies very appreciated.

Edited by StandardIssue

There may be a physical limitation (size of dispensing slot) which in turn limits the amount that can be withdrawn.

I know I have a tight fit at the 18,000 amount (Bangkok Bank ATM), which requires some effort to pull the stack out of the slot. I'm not sure that ATM can go much greater than 20,000?

The home bank may have a limit (say $500 per day), which limits the THB to ~17,000/18,000.

The dispensing ATM may have a physical limit.

Some folks say they do counter withdrawals, where the limits may be higher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

There may be a physical limitation (size of dispensing slot) which in turn limits the amount that can be withdrawn.

I know I have a tight fit at the 18,000 amount (Bangkok Bank ATM), which requires some effort to pull the stack out of the slot. I'm not sure that ATM can go much greater than 20,000?

The home bank may have a limit (say $500 per day), which limits the THB to ~17,000/18,000.

Thanks, yea I had seen the dispensing bill limit when I had tried a large withdraw. Some machines more than others. I'll look into seeing what his home bank limit is.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jerzy Swirski said:

Maximum single withdrawal is 30,000 baht but some machines are set to 25,000 baht

Number of withdrawals per day is set by the banks both in TH and at home

I saw the 25 note limit awhile ago on one particular bank machine. So to get 25000 from that ATM it would have to have enough 1000 notes to cover the withdraw. Thanks. But doesn't make sense to get charged 220THB + home bank international ATM withdraw charges for say a 5000 THB ATM withdraw .. of course.

I wonder how many expats are starting to make ATM withdraws instead of Swift or Wise transfers these days with the new Thai tax BS.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

I do NOT use a ATM to get monies from my US MC.

I go inside my Thai bank to a TELLER ( NOT the service desk ) have the teller swipe my card for the amount I want transfered and DEPOSITED STRAIGHT to my account.  I have found  TOTAL charges for the $1000USD deposit average $1.76 to $1.82USD ( past 4 months ) on top of the international MC exchange rate. ( $1001.76 TO $1001.82 USD )

As I leave the bank I usually make a 20 to 30,000bt withdraw from the banks ATM.  I have NOT made 2 X's 20 to 30,000bt in a single day at any bank ATM.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 2

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

BKK bank used to do this but my branch stopped saying their machine could no longer process that transaction

I did it with Krungsri today morning

Krungsri Central Plaza Ladprao, Bkk

With my Bangkok Bank account I have a 25,000 baht limit per withdrawal with a maximum of 2 withdrawals per day.  I I make a withdrawal from my US bank account using an ATM here in Thailand the maximum amount is $500 US.  That limit is set by my US bank.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are 2 sides to this

Firstly as noted the issuer of the ATM card may (will) have limits which are probably managed by you via Mobile or Internet Banking

Secondly the ATM machines have a physical limitation of how many bills they can dispense at once. So for us and for most banks that is 25 bills which means the maximum per transaction is 25,000 THB (25 x 1000 Baht bills)

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

I do NOT use a ATM to get monies from my US MC.

I go inside my Thai bank to a TELLER ( NOT the service desk ) have the teller swipe my card for the amount I want transfered and DEPOSITED STRAIGHT to my account.  I have found  TOTAL charges for the $1000USD deposit average $1.76 to $1.82USD ( past 4 months ) on top of the international MC exchange rate. ( $1001.76 TO $1001.82 USD )

As I leave the bank I usually make a 20 to 30,000bt withdraw from the banks ATM.  I have NOT made 2 X's 20 to 30,000bt in a single day at any bank ATM.

Thanks, but my OP is basically a question for a tourist with no bank account.

Although it could also apply to an expat who is not interested in having a lot of eyes on the money he is bringing into country if you know what I mean. So certainly NOT depositing funds into a Thai bank account would be prudent in the last case.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

THIS!!!! came here to post this....dress nice..smile..be polite and go INTO the bank..they have a swipe machine on counter..when the girl told me to use atm i said i needed MORE than the 20k allowed as im buying my THAI GF a scoopy(lie) and they did it for me at counter...free.....a smirk escaped my face as i walked out with the 30k and no atm fees.....

have to play the thai game to get what you want here....dress for success

Which bank? Do you have an account with said bank? did you fill out any paper work? You did not mention typing your PIN. Posting some details would be helpful.. otherwise it sounds like boasting in my humble opinion.

How you dress is the least of my friends worries as he's not your average sloppy tourist in shorts, sunglasses and floppies.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kimothai said:

I've been withdrawing 30,000 baht from Kasikorn Bank atms since 2017.

Details please? Using what card? Out of country debit or credit? What country?

OP is about using an out of country debit or credit card.

I guess I should not be surprised that many of the "members' here don't really read carefully. Sorry my friend but why did you even post? There is no detail.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, statman78 said:

With my Bangkok Bank account I have a 25,000 baht limit per withdrawal with a maximum of 2 withdrawals per day.  I I make a withdrawal from my US bank account using an ATM here in Thailand the maximum amount is $500 US.  That limit is set by my US bank.

That has been my experience but I refrain from using my US credit or debit cards because the fees are very high. 220THB on the Thai side. $13.50 USD on the USA side.

My friend has no choice as a tourist so... that is why I made the OP. He wants to use a USA debit card.

He doesn't really want to use credit cards because his credit sucks. Looking for the max he can get on the Thai side if he is able to set his US bank to allow a $1000 daily limit which looks to be the case. He can set the limit up by contacting his bank and telling them he is traveling and wants cash.

Edited by StandardIssue

7 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Very helpful. thank you kindly. So it looks like I'll be suggesting Krungsri to my friend. Much appreciated. This kind of detailed information is very helpful and thank you for taking the time  to post.

No worries...It seems 30k is the limit & only Krungsri ATMs are capable of this (for overseas cards), unless some of the lesser known banks I haven't tried also have this limit.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Have you considered bringing a handful of $100 bills and exchange as needed. (You get best rates with $100 bills). I found it more economical than going to atm and get double charged. 

A friend of mine does this. He stays for three months and the amount he brings is usually enough. As he requires Baht, he goes to SuperRich to exchange £50 notes. Not sure of the amount he exchanges each time, but it is usually enough to cover one month.

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

A friend of mine does this. He stays for three months and the amount he brings is usually enough. As he requires Baht, he goes to SuperRich to exchange £50 notes. Not sure of the amount he exchanges each time, but it is usually enough to cover one month.

Yeah I use them too. Best rates. It makes more sense than using home country cards. 

• Confused 1

On 8/1/2024 at 9:33 AM, bamnutsak said:

Whenever I need money to live on, I take 20,900 baht from a Bangkok Bank ATM. That's 20 x 1,000 baht notes, plus one 500 baht note and four 100 baht notes. That's a total of 29 notes from the ATM. I have never had the slightest problem taking those 29 notes from the ATM slot. Your assertion that 18 notes is difficult to remove and that the machine could not dispense more than 20 notes seems very bizarre to me in that it is totally contrary to my experience using Bangkok Bank ATMs for 17 years. 

• Confused 1

Additional: called my US BANK....

My ATM LIMIT using MY US bank card is $300 1X a day.

At a TELLER inside the bank it is $2,000 ( 2X's daily ) with the same card.

Since I ALWAYS deposit straight to my Thai bank account, ( then withdraw bt  at the banks ATM ) I do NOT know the charges for receiving cash.

I would ...GUESS..., if you want cash, the bank would give you the banks internal posted exchange rate. ( and a service charge? )